Weapon Tethering

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
As someone who plays as a chaser (aside from when mabel sticks me as LO for testing) primarily, defense isn't necessarily as easy as its made out to be. Good cappers can beat out the defense with OD routes VERY easily. I've played Legions from shortly after it was created, and I personally only have rudimentary OD capping abilities. Many however, are masters of this, and without any sort of assistance, defense quickly falls to them.

This poses a fundamental problem, as it does in any game. To what do you balance the game? To the best? To the middle? To the beginners? I believe that Tethers have the opportunity to stop more cappers, evening out the immense power of overdrive.

But of course, not liking the feel of it is a personal opinion and is fine with me.

But im not a tester and for a long while i was capper with 56k connection so i never really got the chance as D i did get new internet and played D and Chase for about 3 weeks then legions was shut down...So it may be harder then i make it out to be. But coming from a capper who played Chase for a few weeks i caught up to them with no real problem sometimes beat them to there base taking a med route when they were going down the middle...like i siad im not a tester and so i cant vouch that they make a huge difference for eitherside. I wish i was a tester but hey im just happy that its coming back out been playing for 3 years about and bam its gone =( right after i get a new computer with new highspeed internet haha

Armageddon

Teapot
I like the idea but i have concerns.

I'm worried that the game couldn't support something like this, say im hooked-up to one and wrap my ass around one of the base towers, what happens to the cable? I don't think it's possible to even make this, All player activated items (Ammo station/Flag etc) are static this cable would need to have movement/physics of it's own to act like a real cable.

I play D 95% of the time and the reason i would like to see a turret of some kind is for back up, usually after i say im playing D my whole team bolts for the flag leaving me to defend on my own with the exception of a few (Derrocks/dawolfsclaw). I don't want to see a turret that kills any armor with one shot, hell i'd be happy if it did 5% damage to an outrider. I just want something to alert me not take my job.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The tether itself would pass through objects. You however would not. For this reason, in the situation you described above, you would basically just be hanging off the side of the tower.

And I believe it would be possible. While tethered, you simply cannot move more than however far away from it. Doing so will result in you stopping. The tether then is really just a graphical aid between you and the anchor.

Lin

I'm concerned that 30 m is too short a tether. Thats how about far you can walk across a flat surface in two seconds. Imo, that leaves you too vulnerable to splash from whatever surface youre attatched to

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
30 was just a ballpark number. Apparently the sentinel is 3 or so, so that's 10 times its height. I would think that would be enough...

Lin

the sent is only 3? The OR walks at 19, and the raider at 15 or so i believe. It just seemed rather slow to me, but that my be because i was walking in the middle of zenith. :p

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Armaggedon,
The weapons tethers would not be a replacement for defense, but they wouldn't be automatic backup. You yourself would connect to them, fly around and shoot people with a boosted weapon. Unfortunately, though, this means that you still need somebody to help out or else you can't body block on the cappers that don't OD.

Lin: I don't think we'd want too much more than 30 m for a tether because it still needs to be somewhat balanced, so if somebody is flying around with enough distance to duel effectively at close range AND have boosted weapons, then things get a little overpowered.

Okay, I was trying to think of what each weapon would be, and, since I'm a sniper, I'd like to see something with the LR that would either increase damage distance, boost rate of fire a bit, or allow you to not use up energy with each shot. Increasing damage distance might be overpowered, since on maps the size of frostbyte and smaller, you could have a sniper on defense doing osniping, which is a little too insane. A boosted rate of fire would be nice for when a capper leaves the base and then goes really high (think leaving the base on Core) I can sometimes get two shots in, but most of the time one of them misses, or both of them miss, which is completely my fault, but then I think I get a third choice and I end up hitting the hill the capper just disappeared behind, so a higher rate of fire would be nice for a weapon tether.

A lack of energy consumption for snipers using a weapons tether, though, would be great, because I'm guessing its possible to make the weapons tethers team specific, so that the offense doesn't use them, so then they only get used for defense, and as a defensive sniper, I try to stay out of duels myself, and just shorten the other duels, but when I take a shot and right then somebody decides that they want my blood, I try to run, and I have just enough to jet out of the radius of a rocket if my reflexes are good that day. Its funny to watch Osnipers realize that, but when its defensive, it would be nice to have a way to snipe without losing power so that we can better duel/run right after taking a shot. That's my thought on possibilities of the LR if tethers take off (which I do hope happens. Hopefully my endorsement won't hurt its prospects.)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Preventing energy drains would be easily done and might work. But yeah, 30m is probably about the max if not too much...

Really, LO should be able to wipe out most players when attached to tethers. Tethers would be for knocking down cappers or attackers if some conquest game mode were introduced. They need long range and [relatively] high power but should make the users weak enough that they be defeated by a good LO. LD will still serve as the primary source of defense, but an OR or two on tethers would allow the base to have more power while preventing it from being too overpowered.

Prometheus

So I've read this whole thread and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it, but I have admit I'm completely stuck on something from the first page: Why would turrets or something like that completely destroy speed and maneuverability in Legions?? That seems counter-intuitive to me. At lower speeds and predictable paths, turrets make mince meat of you, so having defensive turrets would require you to employ speed and maneuverability. Done right, defensive assets raise the bar for the offense and require cappers to be faster and more agile, and -- perhaps more importantly -- to coordinate their timing with teammates. It seems to me that if turrets or anything like that did not encourage better teamplay and coordination as well as more speed and agility in capping, then I would say turrets were not implemented properly.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of manned turrets, which are really just stationary vehicles in my book, but even speaking as someone who primarily plays offense, I like the idea of an offense having to work together a bit for grabs. It's a teamwork thing to me, and if it's too easy to grab, then a sufficiently talented capper can dominate the game without needing teammates at all.

Other than that, as far as tethers go, I'd just add that a tether does not have to be something physical. It could be just some sort of power up device that has a range to it, sort of like sensors but providing power or some other boost.

Hope that makes sense.

MJ1284

So I've read this whole thread and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it, but I have admit I'm completely stuck on something from the first page: Why would turrets or something like that completely destroy speed and maneuverability in Legions??

Laser Rifle already does that
rolleyes.png

Lin

I think the idea is that stationary turrets are too easy for LO to just eat up. Think of tethers as just turrets, but with a bit of mobility

MJ1284

As far as I know, Laser Rifle messes with the health, but not really slows you down.

I ment it destroys Legions's "Freedom of Movement" when everybody is just camping near ammo station with LR for 25 minutes.

Lin

everybody can get away with camping an ammo station? I see some opportunities for NADE SPAMMM!!!!!!!!