Unlocking Legions - Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calimo

I'm just here to say that Royalty's current internet is way better than the one that he had back then. That's quite amazing, and worth noting. Also, you make me sick, all of you.

Edit: Most of you. With a few exceptions. NO! You're not one of those exceptions.

:( I always thought that I didn't make you sick!

BUT I'm really looking forward to this update... being able to host my own games, able to stay the hell away from the rest of the forsaken public community err I mean, host my own games without worrying about uninvited people joining...*ahem*
I really can't wait to see what mods people come out with. That was my favorite part about Tribes (SORRY) You could play 20 different versions of the same game.

Good work devs :D

Royalty

The Aussie
I'm just here to say that Royalty's current internet is way better than the one that he had back then. That's quite amazing, and worth noting. Also, you make me sick, all of you.

Edit: Most of you. With a few exceptions. NO! You're not one of those exceptions.
You don't like me do you... :(

Levi

D: What I was hoping for was an update that had more dedicated servers, Not private player hosted servers where the connection will probably be bad... I speak out for a lot of players, this game really relies on a good connection to play, which some of us don't have. That should be the problem we pay most concern to. Not player hosted servers. But whatev

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
D: What I was hoping for was an update that had more dedicated servers, Not private player hosted servers where the connection will probably be bad... I speak out for a lot of players, this game really relies on a good connection to play, which some of us don't have. That should be the problem we pay most concern to. Not player hosted servers. But whatev

Seems to me that there's a lot of dedicated servers at the moment (with plenty of available space). I think allowing users to host their own servers (especially in areas where it was prohibitive for us to host a dedicated server) is a more important update than adding additional dedicated servers. Not to mention opening the game up for modding.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
We have numerous people here with great connections. I have 30 MB/s DL and 20 MB/s UL; Ucan is also a great host. Player hosted servers actually allow for people who might be close to you (thinking of you, Aussies :D) to get a good connection, instead of everyone in that area sacrificing ping in order to play on a ded. We have plenty of dedicated servers - there's a reason that even during peak hours, 2 16-20 player servers are full (at max). If you're connection isn't good, then irrespective of whether it's a ded or a player, your ping will not be good. If however, it's a distance problem, then a) a player near you can host and b) you still have the deds open.

Do you live far away from a dedicated server?

I feel like Legions needs more people in order for the dedicated servers to take full effect. Having to split the community into seperate games in the Legions current state will not make it a more "playable" experience. I just feel like it's too early to have something like this in development if we are going to risk losing our names and clantag/roster. . Yes, Legions is growing slowly, and we need to start somewhere. But I hope you devs have some sort of remedy that can control the changes that will be taken into effect when dedicated servers roll out. It'll be tough loss losing the competetive teams. We will still have the TS3 server for the most part, so that will have to do.

Fixious

Test Lead
Getting rid of user registration will, hopefully, bring in more players. Then again so would advertising, which I'm highly doubting will actually happen (officially).

Armageddon

Teapot
I feel like Legions needs more people in order for the dedicated servers to take full effect. Having to split the community into seperate games in the Legions current state will not make it a more "playable" experience. I just feel like it's too early to have something like this in development if we are going to risk losing our names and clantag/roster. . Yes, Legions is growing slowly, and we need to start somewhere. But I hope you devs have some sort of remedy that can control the changes that will be taken into effect when dedicated servers roll out. It'll be tough loss losing the competetive teams. We will still have the TS3 server for the most part, so that will have to do.

We have dedicated servers now, what you mean is player hosted servers. I don't see the community splitting anymore then it is already - PUGers - PUBers - EUROers - ASIAers - AUSSIErs, getting these groups together at the same time is rare, it's no different when we get player hosted servers. Nothing changes besides maybe more players since registration to play will be gone and player hosteds will be convenient for aus/asia and other places that have problems with the current deds, sure there might be sub communities for different mods but it's no different then the other sub communities that already exist.

As for losing Tag/Rosters, keep track of members on a website and tags will still be around, they just wont be yellow.

There are plenty of free forum/website providers and if you can type you can keep a roster of you're team.

Immanent

wont this leave the game wide open for aimbots?
Good thought, but I would never imagine why somebody would go to through all the crap just to make an aimbot...
If you have like <20 ping you're basically an aimbot if you can duel pretty well...

Legions 'may' become more fragmented with player hosting but it will definitely bring more players to Legions which has to be worth it, I will personally bring some new players when I know their ping is going to be below 100ms as I know some younger crew excited about Ascend but have never heard of Tribes before much less legions. Not to mention deds have to be paid for which effects their longevity, this way Legions can live for as long as there are ppl who want to play it, even if its many years later you can drag out an instal and set up a server and be playing with anyone within minutes.

SWEET

Status
Not open for further replies.