Unlocking Legions - Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Yeah, I'd probably be a decent East Coast Host for you. With player hosted servers, someone who lives (relatively) near you will ensure that you have good ping.
Forget everything I said! I have a new Internet connection\router, and it's pretty fast, 1 mb download speed about, I think that's pretty fast. Have an idea of the ping I'll get with that?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Forget everything I said! I have a new Internet connection\router, and it's pretty fast, 1 mb download speed about, I think that's pretty fast. Have an idea of the ping I'll get with that?
I honestly do not know...Try a ping test to a server...?

GReaper

Grumpy
Just to give an update since it's nearly been 2 weeks...

Server side scripts have been successfully updated and work as expected, they allow clients to join servers without having to deal with authentication in any way. I've reimplemented overflow slots so server admins can join their own servers even if it's full. Rather annoyingly I'll have to redo ban list control, as removing the unique client IDs has resulted in a ban list which no longer works.

Client side has been updated slightly so it uses preferences to read the nickname, however there currently isn't any GUI for setting a nickname yet which is one of the upcoming features needed.

The current headache is building new executables, we need new .exe files which are unlocked - current ones aren't usable for server hosting at the moment. At the moment I haven't been able to get anything I've compiled myself to connect to any Linux dedicated server. It's going to take quite a bit of additional effort to get this functioning. Until then we'll have to stick with what we've got.

Progress is being made, wish it was faster - but at least it's getting there.

trinium

Private Tester
Just wanted to throw this info out there , as it looks like quite a few people would like to host a server :D

Hosting any type of game server from a residential connection , or small business connect will probably yield sub-bar results (except for people in your local area, for that it should crack off nicely). The first problem is the hardware. For best results you will want to host from a dedicated linux server .. while you can pull the old box from the basement and install freeBSD ubutnu server on it, and probably make it work .. gaming servers tend to like low latensy resources :( .. unfortunately even if you have a killer BSD or Linux server parked in a temperature controlled closet, lets say :D I have an ATT based T1 line coming into my office, and while it's symmetrical bandwidth and low latency is great compared to your normal broadband services, anyone outside of my region doesn't ping all that great and the problems get worse the more distance/hops are added ... unfortunately isp's tend to use low cost infrastructure, etc. because they assume at the most your going to be hosting a webserver/mailserver/voip/vpn server, things like that.

If you are serious about hosting a quality server(s) for the community i would recommend looking into either buying/renting a box from a colo-hosting company (which is fairly expensive and probably not a good option for most players/teams) or do some research on linux VPS hosting. VPS is virtual server hosting. With a good hosting company, you will be able to tell them what kind of resources you need (memory , processor architecture, bandwidth, server location, static IP's, etc) and many have an easy to use configuration system so if your not a linux wizard you should be able to use the control panel to install your desired linux flavor, remote access options + firewall control, and maybe even some package management so you can throw up a freeNS or VNC interface if your still learning command line. The other thing you want to look at , is the datacenter hosting the VPS provider is located. For central servers, Texas has long been the preferred location for gaming servers since most of the US will have 60 ping or less. Some hosting providers will have "low latency" options that will prioritize your bandwidth or at least let you request packet prioritization for specific ports/services. Remember you get what you pay for ! If the VPS hosting company is charging you 10$ a month you will probably end up running into problems w/ limited memory / cpu / bandwidth (lag) problems. VPS packages usually come w/ a set amount of memory , but let you have extra "burst memory" Make sure your not hosting to large or to many servers because if you overuse the burst memory you could end up w/ major lag issues / pissed off provider / extra moneyz being charged to your credit card :-() Uhm its like 3am and i cant keep my eyes open so ill edit this later if it doesnt make sense, lolz ! <3

trinium

Private Tester

bandwidth will not effect your ping, unless your using up all your bandwidth downloading , uh .... :) .... then you will notice your ping spikes. 1 mbit/sec is definitely on the slower side unless your getting 1MB/sec which is fast for DSL slow for Cable and Fiber

Just to give an update since it's nearly been 2 weeks...

Server side scripts have been successfully updated and work as expected, they allow clients to join servers without having to deal with authentication in any way. I've reimplemented overflow slots so server admins can join their own servers even if it's full. Rather annoyingly I'll have to redo ban list control, as removing the unique client IDs has resulted in a ban list which no longer works.

Client side has been updated slightly so it uses preferences to read the nickname, however there currently isn't any GUI for setting a nickname yet which is one of the upcoming features needed.

The current headache is building new executables, we need new .exe files which are unlocked - current ones aren't usable for server hosting at the moment. At the moment I haven't been able to get anything I've compiled myself to connect to any Linux dedicated server. It's going to take quite a bit of additional effort to get this functioning. Until then we'll have to stick with what we've got.

Progress is being made, wish it was faster - but at least it's getting there.
thanks for keeping us in the loop!

its all I want for christmas :)

Levi

bandwidth will not effect your ping, unless your using up all your bandwidth downloading , uh .... :) .... then you will notice your ping spikes. 1 mbit/sec is definitely on the slower side unless your getting 1MB/sec which is fast for DSL slow for Cable and Fiber
Well it's definitely fast for me, I've been living with 150 kb/s and that gives me a ping around the hundreds. I'm hoping for something less then 50 with the new connection....

chattyloid

I hope this work for me I always get like 130+ ping and the lowest ping i had is 136 on a US pug on NJ server , Im gonna see if i can host a carribbean server so i can have 100- ping

at 136 Id be dam happy to go do something else!

many other FPS's sure but this game is just too fast to be competitive (apart from capping) which is what I used to do for about a year back in the IA days but I was a beginner then so I didnt have much skill for the ping to effect :)

but you can only do that for so long before u get sick of it, not being able to MA and chain consistently is taking my favorite (and most difficult to master) skill out of the mix.

Being able to just use instincts and react is where this game is at and u just cant do that when your effectively playing chess trying to anticipate where they are going to be in 136ms rather than where they are and then BOOM head shot :)

Immanent

I can MA at that ping, I have exp. using that ping only chain is a little hard.
Chaining at 100 ping isn't TOO bad, I used to be able to do significant damage consistently. The others that I can name off the top of my head are thechamp and Mabel.

Armageddon

Teapot
Chaining at 100 ping isn't TOO bad, I used to be able to do significant damage consistently. The others that I can name off the top of my head are thechamp and Mabel.

Agreed, when i pop into Euro servers i ping 130ish and still don't have much of a problem. Just have to adjust your lead and timing a bit.

Karnage

Private Tester
Guys just because you got a few lucky MA's doesn't mean it's just as easy to MA in that ping. Your average MA rate will definitely be lower.

Abandoned

It's not really lucky, as you have a basic idea of their trajectory you fire to that point, if it makes contact, it's a damn good skill.

Ye, you guys might be better at making the adjustment than me but the simple fact is if someone is an experienced player then they move constantly a little bit at a time making it almost impossible to anticipate trajectory. Sure you will get the odd MA but thats not going to help u against the sub 50 pinger chaining u out before u get to have your 6th shot at it.

(Yes aimbot Im looking at you :))

anyway player hosting is on its way so none of this is going to matter soon, actually Ascend open beta is coming with in a month also so Im going to be a little piggy in *chocolate cookies* rather than talking semantics here :)

that is once I get my *dancing* mobo repaired by gigabyte for the 2nd time, yes my black thumb for pc's still lives!

Status
Not open for further replies.