The Great Mortar Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immanent

Yes, it was that girls fault she got raped...
Well, the people do know the fact that the heavy has a mortar and is USING it, so they go and carry on doing their thing and get hit and blame the senti?
It's like walking into a room full of explosives and expecting not to get hit.

Disci

Old man
So it's not sent who is launching the mortar or what the *dance* are you talking about? Do you often shoot your own team mates just to get kills? I don't mean just mortars but other weapons and situations too.

Mahidhar

You guys can quit it. Both the Sentinel and the LD need to be aware of what they're doing, and are going to do, and should try not to get in each other's way.

RiPTaCk

Thats quite difficult if a mortar blast is covering half of the base.

What I want to say is that the mortar has no place in PUBs. Nowadays new people join this game, they see a huge green blast and then switch to sentinel loadout to try it out themselves because it looks so fancy and does loads of damage. Then they fool around a bit with the mortar. Then they kill some people and do it over and over again. Finally they get bored of this game and move on to another game.(->LoL...)

I think right now this game is too much focused on weapons than on the movement. Especially the mortar, because its in the sentinel loadout, makes the new players unaware of the fact that movement is so much fun in this game. BUT nowadays people are so lazy that they rather use a fancy mortar and easy iOD than learning how to ski properly.

Thats why I still vote for the mortar to disappear. Its just not fitting in the current state of the game.

Application-1

test bester
I always thought the mortar would be a great addition to L:O but I am starting to think I was wrong. The mortar is not helping the fast paced action wich legions is all about. In pubs it just makes the game a lot slower (but pubs are pubs), and in pugs it is even getting a bit off-track. The long range shots are a great thing to do, but is its only +. Nuking flag stand is too easy for O and D, ground pounding is sad. Like riptack said, it does not fit in legions its current state. Clusters were fun and /different/ this is just a huge splash grenade. Wich it should be of course otherwise it would not be a mortar. Just does not go with the fast paced state of legions. I used to be pro mortar, but starting to dislike it more and more because it is fun to be OP for a week or so and after that it gets less and less fun.

So I guess get rid of it untill it has something to do, and give the sentinel a new /heavy/ weapon. Might just be clusters again as a fix, but just not the mortar.

MJ1284

Tbh, it's whoever gets hit's fault for getting hurt, unless they are asking for it.
So I should expect to get TKed if friendly Sentinel has Mortar?
If there is a llama that is killed by the mortar, the hof should be able to bb the next capper, if they are skilled.
Why would you need Mortar to kill llamas? That's easily accomplished with other weapons.
It is actually up to the other defenders to prevent callers from grabbing if the hof is reloading or in an unsuitable position to defend.
And it's actually up to the Sentinel NOT to kill whole defense with Mortar, which btw puts OTHER defense in unsuitable position to defend.

Karnage

Private Tester
Agree with MJ. Mortar should be a last resort. For example, if you have bbed a capper and you see another one coming from the back for the flag but you can't get there in time and no one else can either. That sort of thing. It is a backup weapon on D, not a main weapon.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
You *dancing* gays are always complaining, but when you have the upper hand, everything is alright eh? I just think you guys need to find ways of overcoming these new pests, whether it means making the effort of taking longer/faster routes or playing as LO. Don't come in here and complain about a weapon that has a history of more than 10 years.

Application-1

test bester
You *dancing* gays are always complaining, but when you have the upper hand, everything is alright eh? I just think you guys need to find ways of overcoming these new pests, whether it means making the effort of taking longer/faster routes or playing as LO. Don't come in here and complain about a weapon that has a history of more than 10 years.
Legions is not tribes, and it is not in a state where the mortar is usefull except for making the heavy even more OP. Base assets then we will see.

RiPTaCk

Nonsense my son!

Do you really think that at the start of L:O or at IA days (I suppose you were referring to me) I was playing better or having the "upper hand" than now with the mortar? I shall answer for you..NO. (Netfix was universal that doesn't count)
Also do you have any clue how popular (strange word for this game) FE:L was at IA days. There was BFCL in which I didn't participate but whatever. That was the only really competitive thing this game has ever had and there was no fricking mortar but people still had lots of fun. Even in Pubs which has gotten quite rare.
So who are you to say I'm complaining, this is my opinion and it shall work as criticism not as a complain. The only thing I complain about is sniping but thats another discussion.

And the story about history of mortar is also dumb. Then we also should add a flamethrower cos it has history blabla

No offense to you but your post is stupid.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Please reduce the power of mortar if 6 players use it on one server in the same time... this game is so dirty

Disci

Old man
And the story about history of mortar is also dumb. Then we also should add a flamethrower cos it has history blabla

He was refering to Tribes games. Mortar has been part of the Tribes games since the beginning. It has history, but at the moment it is not working as it did in Tribes games. It goes BOOM way too fast and is pretty much unavoidable(is that even a word?) in close range duels. In Tribes games I remember disk jumping out of the mortars range when someone shot at me with it when I was clsoe to him. With longer arming time it required a lot more skill to time it to explode at the same time when escaping capper was running over it. It killed pretty much everything with one shot but it was rewarding because it wasn't as easy to use as the current variation Legions has now.

Also Sentinels(Myrmiddon armor) wasn't easy to use since they were really slow and if you *danced* up your route, you were pretty much a sitting duck because your jets didn't get you anywhere. Running HO was requiring map knowledge if you wanted to get anywhere. Those who didn't, were acting like a mounted turrets spamming what ever spots they found effective/within the range of the weapon. iOD makes sentinel way too mobile and adding a weapon, which can deal so much damage as mortar, is just retarded and dunno who the hell were testing the weapon before the release and seriously thought it would be ok to push on the public servers. No offense dev team. :) They probably have problems with iOD as much as many of us. Not the same way, but removing it would cause so much bitching and whining that it would make GReapers ears(eyes) bleed.

Noober

He was refering to Tribes games. Mortar has been part of the Tribes games since the beginning. It has history, but at the moment it is not working as it did in Tribes games. It goes BOOM way too fast and is pretty much unavoidable(is that even a word?) in close range duels. In Tribes games I remember disk jumping out of the mortars range when someone shot at me with it when I was clsoe to him. With longer arming time it required a lot more skill to time it to explode at the same time when escaping capper was running over it. It killed pretty much everything with one shot but it was rewarding because it wasn't as easy to use as the current variation Legions has now.

Also Sentinels(Myrmiddon armor) wasn't easy to use since they were really slow and if you *danced* up your route, you were pretty much a sitting duck because your jets didn't get you anywhere. Running HO was requiring map knowledge if you wanted to get anywhere. Those who didn't, were acting like a mounted turrets spamming what ever spots they found effective/within the range of the weapon. iOD makes sentinel way too mobile and adding a weapon, which can deal so much damage as mortar, is just retarded and dunno who the hell were testing the weapon before the release and seriously thought it would be ok to push on the public servers. No offense dev team. :) They probably have problems with iOD as much as many of us. Not the same way, but removing it would cause so much bitching and whining that it would make GReapers ears(eyes) bleed.

TRUE!
instant OD and mortar it's incompatible in my opinion, especially with this pro spammer low timed mortar (and totally not timed for MA)... If instant OD will be removed (and let only over 88ms like other armours) game it's such be better imho, let the heavy do what they must mainly do: destroy enemy defence and not destroy their defence!!! flag keeper and hof! And let the cap role to Light/medium armor or very skilled heavy players..

DOS4/GW

Here are a few ideas for quelling the hate for mortars/sent, or ideas stated before I agree with:

Increasing the mortar detonation time by 1 - 2 seconds
Increasing the cooldown time for iOD

And to remedy spamming/teamkilling:
Votekick

Mots0311

Mortars made me want to learn how to HOF. Before the mortar I was not interested in sentinels, that silly cluster grenade didnt grab my attention.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Mortars made me want to learn how to HOF. Before the mortar I was not interested in sentinels, that silly cluster grenade didnt grab my attention.
HoFing used to be difficult now its just like l0lmortarspam.

Gravis

Heavy chasing actually used to take skill as well, but now, hey look, shoot mortar from base and get kill!

Out of all the things I can do with the mortar, actually killing a fast capper (especially a damn good one) from my base is one of the harder things that I had to learn, even with predictable return routes. Please, by all means try it, Immanent. I mean if it's so easy a caveman could do it as you suggest, then you should have no trouble putting your money where your mouth is. And not against some noob who barely knows how to ski, but rather someone like shaska.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
Unfortunately until priorities are in place, there will be no balancing issues corrected.

Once everything is in place there might be a more happy medium for everyone.

But again much of the issues seems to lie in the public area.. which again is abuse of the mortar. Same effect you have when you have to many snipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.