The Great Mortar Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ1284

Mortar would be more effective if people would learn how to use mortar in conjunction with iOD blocking instead of REPLACING blocking with mortars. For example, iOD block one capper -> second capper gets the grab and flies off -> frag him with mortar, now it's more like one capper grabs -> Sentinel TK's three defenders/potential chasers with mortar while flag carrier gets to cap with no chasing.

prometheus11

Or how about...don't iOD yourself out of position? Why use iOD to block anyways? It's not like it really does much good if someone uses OD and regular BBing does fine if they aren't OD. Am I missing something about iOD against OD? (I'm new to HoF position) Just fyi, I'm not condoning the use of mortars on the flag stand. I don't like it either. I just don't see iOD on first capper and then mortar on the second as he gets away as being that great of a plan.

Or how about...don't iOD yourself out of position? Why use iOD to block anyways? It's not like it really does much good if someone uses OD and regular BBing does fine if they aren't OD. Am I missing something about iOD against OD? (I'm new to HoF position) Just fyi, I'm not condoning the use of mortars on the flag stand. I don't like it either. I just don't see iOD on first capper and then mortar on the second as he gets away as being that great of a plan.

An interesting thing, if you attempt to get caught in the OD while they curve, they seem to drag you along making it easy to chase as a heavy.

One thing I wanted to point out what I felt with OD yesterday while HoFFing:

1.Normal OD pushes you in it's direction
2.I felt that iOD pulls you in towards it and shits you out the back if you hit the grazed of a sent in iOD.
---In one situation, I miscalculated my iOD and the OR had grazed the top of me, sending him off even faster as he grabbed the flag. He then commented afterwards "wow, did I matrix that *chocolate cookies* and go even faster?"

Yes, I was playing on hotswap 1.

EDIT: Yayyy, 123rd post.

Mahidhar

iOD was messed with and got fudged up. A Sentinel's iOD needs to be stronger than the LOD(Light Overdrive). I noticed that if the Sentinel and a lighter class hit each other with OD activated, the lighter class always wins. Although this cannot be said for sure(as ping has always clouded my judgement of the game's physics). To truly give iOD it's own uniqueness, it should have shorter OD burst time, plus the ability to cancel out contender's LOD as well, regardless of the direction the enemy has been hit in, with the Sentinel's iOD.

Then, we could have Sentinel variants like iOD(the aforementioned one) + Equipped with Cluster Grenade(the original and not it's sad version), and No-iOD + Mortar. Just something to think about.

Propkid

And I thought this thread can't get worse. Sent is LITERALLY fine the way it is, I don't see why do we have to give iOD 'it's own uniqueness'.

Oh and although LOD surely has a greater acceleration force than iOD, iOD cannot be 'canceled out' as you call it. iOD can however cancel out any other OD type; so can a player who's simply skiing really fast or just standing there. OD is 'uncancellable' at the beginning of it's duration, but later on it can be cancelled by decreasing the speed of the enemy below *insert actual value here, about 85*. Hence a skilled HOF can use iOD to cancel out some of the OD grabs that he encounters, especially those that take a longer pre-grab OD to dodge mortar. Perfect balance IMO.

Mahidhar

Go on, elaborate.

I believe that change happened a while back, when the whole physics of the game changed. But the game, back then, was Fallen Empire: Legions. I think it was made in conjunction with the Fall Damage implementation. The Sentinel back then, had a better iOD and would blow away the enemy Capper, no matter how fast he was, or whether he was in OD before he hit the Sentinel or not. I think the iOD also had a larger AoE back then, but of that I'm not sure.

And I thought this thread can't get worse. Sent is LITERALLY fine the way it is, I don't see why do we have to give iOD 'it's own uniqueness'.

Oh and although LOD surely has a greater acceleration force than iOD, iOD cannot be 'canceled out' as you call it. iOD can however cancel out any other OD type; so can a player who's simply skiing really fast or just standing there. OD is 'uncancellable' at the beginning of it's duration, but later on it can be cancelled by decreasing the speed of the enemy below *insert actual value here, about 85*. Hence a skilled HOF can use iOD to cancel out some of the OD grabs that he encounters, especially those that take a longer pre-grab OD to dodge mortar. Perfect balance IMO.

If Sentinel is as "LITERALLY fine" as you say it is, then we won't have so much whining in the game servers, and even this thread, for that matter. And by the rest of your post, I can see that you misread mine. It was my suggestion that the iOD needs to have the power to cancel the LOD of any player, when brought into contact. In it's current state, iOD is useless when used against an enemy in LOD.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I believe that change happened a while back, when the whole physics of the game changed. But the game, back then, was Fallen Empire: Legions. I think it was made in conjunction with the Fall Damage implementation. The Sentinel back then, had a better iOD and would blow away the enemy Capper, no matter how fast he was, or whether he was in OD before he hit the Sentinel or not. I think the iOD also had a larger AoE back then, but of that I'm not sure.

I am not sure about this, I don't think anything concerning the iOD has ever been changed, and what Gheist implies is that if he doesn't have any memory of it, it probably never happened (Gheist's memory is very good apparently)

Gheist

King of all Goblins
No, iOD actually got nerfed (or better: balanced) back then, and that was years ago. I just want more on the "messed with and got fudged up" part.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Odd, I don't seem to remember any change back in that June 2009 update with it, my mistake it appears.

Mahidhar

No, iOD actually got nerfed (or better: balanced) back then, and that was years ago. I just want more on the "messed with and got fudged up" part.

Are you some kind of CIA interrogator or something? Well whatever. So, just as you say, it got nerfed and also got messed up. Back then, the iOD had a lot more 'power' to it, being able to push people to great lengths. But now, when you try to iOD people who are right on your face, they barely move, sometimes not even an inch(tested it myself before I typed this). Interestingly, when you stay in front of a player, put your back to him and press R, you move him with you.

If anything, the iOD of the Sentinel needs to be taken a look at, and maybe some fixing might be done. I, for one, am not hinting on bring back it's old characteristics, but would like to see a much smaller AoE version of it.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
No, I'm just wondering what you're talking about. And how a sensible nerf that balanced the iOD ability can be seen as "messing with it" and "fudging it up". Especially as it happened a long time ago. And you're bringing it up now.

By the way, what you're describing is the "OD wake". It's been there since the beginning, and is very important for "correct" (or at least effective) OD blocking. Interesting to see that you apparently don't know about it.

Mahidhar

The topic has come up, so I brought it up. So, your "OD wake" is what stopping the Sentinel to push player, when in front? If so, it is messed up in my opinion, as I see Cappers overriding Sentinel's iOD with their own OD.

Mahidhar

If so, then I only didn't know of it's name. Because what I thought happened is that the iOD's center of force, was moved to the mid and back sections of the Sentinel(when it was equal on all sides, including the front, before the update). But instead, I guess it was cut off in the front only, and your "OD wake" was kept.

Propkid

If Sentinel is as "LITERALLY fine" as you say it is, then we won't have so much whining in the game servers, and even this thread, for that matter. And by the rest of your post, I can see that you misread mine. It was my suggestion that the iOD needs to have the power to cancel the LOD of any player, when brought into contact. In it's current state, iOD is useless when used against an enemy in LOD.

Do you know what does the word 'opinion' mean? Well let me tell you that different people have different opinions, hence some will like the update but some will always whine. iOD is literally fine, regardless of whether everyone agrees on it or not. The only place where everyone will agree upon something is probably the church. Last place to look for such agreement is the internet/ a game.

That iOD you're suggesting would be way too OP. Think about it; without much skill the HOF would halt all the OD and normal cappers with just a straight into the air OD. And in it's current state iOD is not useless against an enemy in OD (not sure if by LOD you mean outrider's OD or just any OD). It can still alter the path of an enemy in OD or even knock them out of OD, as I've described above.

No, the "OD wake" is what pulls others in behind you, which is why it's called "wake", duh.
Gheist stop being a superintelligent being and learn to understand people better, because you're terrible at it. I myself don't get why is it called the 'wake'; it might be because although I've been speaking English 'fluently' for ~6 years now I'm not a native speaker. Neither is Mahidhar it seems, "duh".

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Gheist stop being a superintelligent being and learn to understand people better, because you're terrible at it. I myself don't get why is it called the 'wake'; it might be because although I've been speaking English 'fluently' for ~6 years now I'm not a native speaker. Neither is Mahidhar it seems, "duh".
Look up the meaning of the word "wake", think about it, apply it to Leejunz (or specifically the posts above), voilà.

Propkid

Look up the meaning of the word "wake", think about it, apply it to Leejunz (or specifically the posts above), voilà.
My point was: you've exploited the fact that Mahidhar didn't know the meaning of 'wake' to dismiss his argument saying that iOD is incapable of pushing a player, only of pulling; while any other loadout in OD can push and pull at the same time.

It only occured to me now that he said it o.0 but still I don't think iOD needs to push, it does it's job alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.