The biggest stars in the universe

Delpicy

I didn't learn most of things these things from my intro to astronomy class thats for sure. I just find it interesting so I read up on cool stuff every now and then

trevor

if the human race were to survive another 600,000 billion years we would all get sucked into a Quasar (a black hole that is in the center of every galaxy) that shootes out Gamma rays so powerful it can power the worlds electricity for a few thousand years (thats only if it goes on for a second. which it goes on infinitely) and would no dbout be like putting us in a few trillion microwaves at once. on high.
NUMBER ONE reason why that would not happen while we are alive. 2 million (or billion i forget) years away from the 1900's the earthes poles will change causing a solar flare so powerful that we could use 40atomic bombs to make up for the energy, pointing straight at us. #2 we will all die of pollution pretty soon at this rate. #3 thanks to the presidents we have lost jobs so we will all die of starvation #4.quasar could form as the Andromeda Galaxy collides with our own Milky Way galaxy in approximately 3–5 billion years (while being hobos) (i made #2 and #3 up although it is probably going to happen)
-all from a science series on space i got from netflix. I LOVE SPACE

jordahn you would fall in love with pictures of quasars since you love space so much
agn-cartoon.jpg
heres an animation and heres mor info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasar

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
... No.

If we survive another 600 billion years, I'd expect that we'd be more concerned with entropy killing us all than anything else. You're also wrong about the poles flipping. IIRC, we're actually supposed to be a couple million years late. Not only that, but the earth's poles flipping won't have any influence on the sun's tendency to produce solar flares. Yes, solar flares are stupidly powerful compared to the energy levels we're used to, but then you have to remember that the sun is a seething fusion reactor hundreds of times the size of the earth so it's not much of a surprise. Also, why do you mention the 1900's? When speaking on the scale of something that happens every few million years, a century isn't really relevant. I'm not addressing 2 and 3.

Quasars are generally hypermassive black holes, but gamma rays are still light and quasars don't pump out gamma rays directly. The blue stuff you see shooting out the poles is typically interstellar hydrogen that narrowly escapes being eaten. It just depends on the trajectory of the object near the black hole.

And in other news, this thread is making a lot of you guys remind me of this... ;)

trevor

well then the 18 TV shows i watched are wrong

the poles flipping was something my roommate told me. she studied in space

not in space, but you know

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
the poles flipping was something my roommate told me. she studied in space
Easily found this. I was incorrect in saying once every few million years. I should have said few hundred thousand and I apologize for my incorrectness. Even so, I have no idea why you think there'd be more solar activity as a result. Sure, what solar activity there is will hit us harder until the field stabilizes, but the earth's dinky little magnetic field is nothing compared to the magnetic field of the sun and have no influence on it.

If we survive that long, we'd probably have moved on from the earth such that a quasar is the least of our worries.

Regarding gamma rays, I think you're getting your facts mixed up. You seem to be thinking that gamma rays are faster than light which aside from being impossible (as c is the universal speed limit) doesn't make sense because they are the same thing. Light is a general term to refer to electromagnetic radiation. Now, gamma rays have significantly more energy than visible light wavelengths, but that doesn't make them faster, just higher energy. Now, the polar ejections of a quasar are incredibly hot and fast, basically a particle cannon out of sci-fi on steroids. The high energy electrons in the beams start pumping out photons in the x-ray and gamma-ray spectrums depending on their temperature.

Mahidhar

It might be like Mass Effect but just to give you guys a different perspective, for all we know, we might've been already discovered and then ignored by the alien intelligence of the universe. No chance to be a hero this time, Sheperd.