The biggest stars in the universe

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
biggest-stars-in-universe-by-size.jpg

Picture version of the video, I love this picture.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The sad part is that those images are probably computer generated because these stars probably show up as one or two pixels on Hubble.

Propkid

Have you ever sat down and thought about how you are living on a floating, rotating sphere in the midst of the vast Space? I think it's pretty astounding.
I did IB Physics HL with a particles and an astro module. Enuff brainception thoughts, time to have some fun.

Have you ever sat dow and thought about how you could be playing the awesomest, most skill based and team oriented game in the midst of the vast nooby Interwebz (if you don't need a life)? I think it's pretty astounding. :D

Hint: the game is...

DOTA2

Delpicy

No. Its lense was originally skewed because they didn't take into account certain factors, but they sent some astronauts up years ago to fix it, and they made it even stronger than it was meant to be. Now I dont know if its been screwed up again, but I don't think so...

Pure

hmm I knew that its lens was off by one millionth of an inch off.....but I guess my books are outdated :-/

Delpicy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope
Has been serviced/upgraded multiple times, supposed to last until about 2014, and they have decided not to service it anymore. Point is, sure its had a few problems, but its still up and running fine. Sustaining things in space doesn't sound easy. However, this does not spell the end of the hubble necessarily: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-12/08/voyager-1-solar-system. That was not meant to last NEARLY as long as it has, as its lasted I believe over 30 years longer than it was supposed to. Also, keep in mind of the ol' engineering rule "underpromise and overdeliver"

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
That's the thing about sending stuff to where you can't retrieve it easily. You had better make sure that you have failsafes for your failsafes for your failsafes. The shuttle for instance used triple redundancy on critical systems if I remember correctly. Hubble and the Voyager probes surely have fewer as they needn't support human life, but the same engineering principle applies: make whatever you're designing as if you'll never get the chance to fix it. Normal things have a margin for error. Others, such as rockets can't. If they do, they blow up or foam from them slams into the protective shielding of the shuttle attached to them and upon reentry, it disintegrates.

_Beast_

this is one of the reasons why i like science class and biology. (space, galaxies and millions of unknown things that are out there!) i can't wait for this world's people become smarter and make something that would aloud you to see what really out there with live pictures not just predictions on how big or how it looks out there. and maybe later we people can travel there like it was taking the school bus :) .... Infinity is the limit of space.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The big bright center of the Milky Way isn't the black hole itself. The latest models I've seen of it show that the stars most close to it aren't near enough to be eaten. The brighter glow is simply from the fact that there are more stars there. Giant black hole attracts objects which attract objects which attract objects and eventually you end up with a very dense ball of stars that glows brighter than everywhere else simply due to numerical advantage.

Delpicy

Yes, there is a super massive black hole in the center of most galaxies (there are some galaxies that have no real formation and are more of a cluster), and many, many, many stars are closely packed, revolving around it, and they slowly get sucked in, feeding the hungry monster muhaha. There are many crazy things in the universe. Pulsars, quasars, neutron stars, binary stars, novas and supernovas, dark energy and dark matter, and countless theories and hypotheses that explain everything. What I find to be wicked cool is how you essentially can look back in time. Since light does not travel instantly, but rather insanely fast, you can only see a star who's light has had enough time to reach us. If a star is 8 billion light years away, we are seeing how that star looked 8 billion years ago, as the light from then is finally reaching us. We cannot see how it looks now though. However, this also means that we can only look so far. Can't see stuff that is 20 billion light years away( ex. stuff thats 10 billion light years on the other from the center of the universe).

Astronomy and astrophysics are all crazy and awesome. For example, everyone know that the faster you go the slower time goes for you, but did you also know that the more gravity upon you, the slower time goes for you as well? And since within the event horizon of a black hole, there is the singularity, the point of infinite mass and gravity, which essentially means that time would stop. Also time would theoretically stop if you could reach light speed, which is another reason why its an unreachable limit of the universe. Scientists are trying to discover particles that can go faster than the speed of light (they are all given funky names too). There is a planet made of PURE DIAMOND. What we call shooting stars are really just meteroids, but shooting superfast stars EXIST. Some black holes are on the move. There is such a thing as space lightning(probably not the scientifical term). Black holes follow the rules of gravity, and while you may think that everything even semi close (in space terms) would become instantly vaporized. Nuh uh. It would act like any other object with mass. Its within the event horizon, the point of no return, when black holes get funky. The sun is white. It makes sense, what super bright thing have you seen that you can tell its color other than white? Our atmosphere makes it yellow. Same reason our sky is blue instead of clear. Also, if you travelled to any of the places that are photographed by NASA, chances are it wouldn't look the same at all, if you even saw anything. The photos are "The colors in Hubble images are neither 'true' colors nor 'false' colors, but usually are representative of the physical processes underlying the subjects of the images. They are a way to represent in a single image as much information as possible that's available in the data." There is no dark side of the moon. True, we only see one side of the moon, as it rotates at the same speed it revolves around earth, but the other side gets just as much sunlight as our side of the moon does. Theres a star that has a surface temperature less than 100 degrees fahrenheit (basically a star that never quite started). That hugo star VY Canis Majoris you mentioned, here look at this picture (keep in mind that the sun is about 109 times larger than earth):
96015.jpg

Heck, there are many crazy things even within our solar system. The aurora borealis? Its really just cosmic radiation that is coming from the sun, and getting redirected to the poles of our earth's magnetic field. Theres a moon Titan off of Saturn that has liquid methane oceans. the inside of the gas giants have a layer of water that is compressed solid merely due to the immense gravity. The chance of hitting an asteroid in the asteroid belt is well under 1%, and contrary to popular belief, taking off your helmet in space will not cause your head to explode (but you will still die, but you could probably survive it for a brief period). The star life cycle is also quite interesting as well, as it varies star to star. Our moon is slowly getting farther and farther away from earth (sun die before it leaves us however). I could go on and on. Space if friggin interesting. Some guy drake invented an equation to predict the possibility of life elsewhere ( dunno how accurate it can really be though). SETI is continuously searching for life among the stars. I'm getting a little too excited, I'm done. The universe is like 99% open space, but then again so are we. No joke. Think about it. We are made up of atoms, that are made up of subatomic particles. Those particles are friggin tiny, and revolve around each other. There has to be plenty of room for those particles to move around. We are made up of zillions of atoms that bonded in different ways; the ways they bond is essentially by changing the way the subatomic particles move about each other. With a lot of empty space. It is the bonding and chemistry and biology that keeps us together. And when it really comes down to it, electrons and protons are really just electromagnetic waves. You actually do have a net charge, its just essentially zero. Ok, I'm done now. I'm getting way to excited. I could go on for hours. Good night

Pure

I realy find gamma ray bursts interesting even if its 10 000 ly away and pionted at us its still deadly and 1 happens every day hypernovas are the most powerful stuff out there and we owe our life to them, when they explode they generate the basic elements for stars planets to form and after life.

Delpicy

I realy find gamma ray bursts interesting even if its 10 000 ly away and pionted at us its still deadly and 1 happens every day hypernovas are the most powerful stuff out there and we owe our life to them, when they explode they generate the basic elements for stars planets to form and after life.
Hahahaha there are many things in space that can kill in in the blink of an I, Dominator

Triad

Legions Developer
Yes, there is a super massive black hole in the center of most galaxies (there are some galaxies that have no real formation and are more of a cluster), and many, many, many stars are closely packed, revolving around it, and they slowly get sucked in, feeding the hungry monster muhaha. There are many crazy things in the universe. Pulsars, quasars, neutron stars, binary stars, novas and supernovas, dark energy and dark matter, and countless theories and hypotheses that explain everything. What I find to be wicked cool is how you essentially can look back in time. Since light does not travel instantly, but rather insanely fast, you can only see a star who's light has had enough time to reach us. If a star is 8 billion light years away, we are seeing how that star looked 8 billion years ago, as the light from then is finally reaching us. We cannot see how it looks now though. However, this also means that we can only look so far. Can't see stuff that is 20 billion light years away( ex. stuff thats 10 billion light years on the other from the center of the universe).

Astronomy and astrophysics are all crazy and awesome. For example, everyone know that the faster you go the slower time goes for you, but did you also know that the more gravity upon you, the slower time goes for you as well? And since within the event horizon of a black hole, there is the singularity, the point of infinite mass and gravity, which essentially means that time would stop. Also time would theoretically stop if you could reach light speed, which is another reason why its an unreachable limit of the universe. Scientists are trying to discover particles that can go faster than the speed of light (they are all given funky names too). There is a planet made of PURE DIAMOND. What we call shooting stars are really just meteroids, but shooting superfast stars EXIST. Some black holes are on the move. There is such a thing as space lightning(probably not the scientifical term). Black holes follow the rules of gravity, and while you may think that everything even semi close (in space terms) would become instantly vaporized. Nuh uh. It would act like any other object with mass. Its within the event horizon, the point of no return, when black holes get funky. The sun is white. It makes sense, what super bright thing have you seen that you can tell its color other than white? Our atmosphere makes it yellow. Same reason our sky is blue instead of clear. Also, if you travelled to any of the places that are photographed by NASA, chances are it wouldn't look the same at all, if you even saw anything. The photos are "The colors in Hubble images are neither 'true' colors nor 'false' colors, but usually are representative of the physical processes underlying the subjects of the images. They are a way to represent in a single image as much information as possible that's available in the data." There is no dark side of the moon. True, we only see one side of the moon, as it rotates at the same speed it revolves around earth, but the other side gets just as much sunlight as our side of the moon does. Theres a star that has a surface temperature less than 100 degrees fahrenheit (basically a star that never quite started). That hugo star VY Canis Majoris you mentioned, here look at this picture (keep in mind that the sun is about 109 times larger than earth):
96015.jpg

Heck, there are many crazy things even within our solar system. The aurora borealis? Its really just cosmic radiation that is coming from the sun, and getting redirected to the poles of our earth's magnetic field. Theres a moon Titan off of Saturn that has liquid methane oceans. the inside of the gas giants have a layer of water that is compressed solid merely due to the immense gravity. The chance of hitting an asteroid in the asteroid belt is well under 1%, and contrary to popular belief, taking off your helmet in space will not cause your head to explode (but you will still die, but you could probably survive it for a brief period). The star life cycle is also quite interesting as well, as it varies star to star. Our moon is slowly getting farther and farther away from earth (sun die before it leaves us however). I could go on and on. Space if friggin interesting. Some guy drake invented an equation to predict the possibility of life elsewhere ( dunno how accurate it can really be though). SETI is continuously searching for life among the stars. I'm getting a little too excited, I'm done. The universe is like 99% open space, but then again so are we. No joke. Think about it. We are made up of atoms, that are made up of subatomic particles. Those particles are friggin tiny, and revolve around each other. There has to be plenty of room for those particles to move around. We are made up of zillions of atoms that bonded in different ways; the ways they bond is essentially by changing the way the subatomic particles move about each other. With a lot of empty space. It is the bonding and chemistry and biology that keeps us together. And when it really comes down to it, electrons and protons are really just electromagnetic waves. You actually do have a net charge, its just essentially zero. Ok, I'm done now. I'm getting way to excited. I could go on for hours. Good night
Good stuff.

Bestking

96015.jpg

Are u sure u did use wikipedia and copied and pasted the into than waste time typing all this down?