Something for the new legionnaires

skypredator

I thought that I'd begin losing health while hitting a sonic boom. I also suggest that we have a sort of sonic boom when we initiate OD, then continue with the original OD wake. :D

... However, stopping is more intuitive. Most people grasp that if you want to stop going, you let go of the controls. ....
... So it was just me who spent the first 2 weeks of legions thinking that the only way to stop OD and therefore not die, was to fly straight upwards, or into a wall? (this was before fall/collision damage guys, in case you're wondering why I didn't crater)

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
what about
i do like the "overdrive velocity acheived" idea.

I thought that I'd begin losing health while hitting a sonic boom. I also suggest that we have a sort of sonic boom when we initiate OD, then continue with the original OD wake. :D
we should actually be able to break the sound barrier in legions since it is measured in m/s we will need to reach 343.4 to break it. correct me if i worked it out wrong :p

Propkid

A while ago I just changed my '-Velocity Warning-' to say '-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!-'. I think it still conveys the point

skypredator

No, skypredator, 343.3 m/s is the speed of sound.

v = f∙λ thus f = v/ λ 343.5 / .75m = 456.7 Hz = ? 685m / 2s = 342.5 m/s.
Nevermind, I thought that you were referring to 343.m.s.PH. Silly me. :/ But even then, the speed of sound varies in different subestances, like metal, air, water, or any other gaseous or solid substance, which tells us that the speed of sound isn't exactly 343.3(4?) M.S. Even then, you should round it off to the closest variable, thus 350 (Or 400, if you want to be really technical) M.S.

Edit: 331.2 (m/s) where k = 1.4. But you still round it off. No one really knows the exact speed of sound, since sound curves. After all, it sometimes follows the path a least resistance, which is why sound "ricochets". Knowing this, I propose an "Overdrive Ready" alert instead of "Velocity Warning" alert. And as MJ jokingly stated, why shouldn't we be able to gain full control of our Legionnaire? I say that we should be able to execute barrel rolls and flips/backflips. This way we can actually say that there is "freedom of movement" in Legions. I'll make a separate thread about this.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Nevermind, I thought that you were referring to 343.m.s.PH. Silly me. :/ But even then, the speed of sound varies in different subestances, like metal, air, water, or any other gaseous or solid substance, which tells us that the speed of sound isn't exactly 343.3(4?) M.S. Even then, you should round it off to the closest variable, thus 350 (Or 400, if you want to be really technical) M.S.

Edit: 331.2 (m/s) where k = 1.4. But you still round it off. No one really knows the exact speed of sound, since sound curves. After all, it sometimes follows the path a least resistance, which is why sound "ricochets" sometimes. Knowing this, I propose an "Overdrive Ready" alert instead of "Velocity Warning" alert.
:|

mausgang

Puzzlemaster

Edit: 331.2 (m/s) where k = 1.4. But you still round it off. No one really knows the exact speed of sound, since sound curves. After all, it sometimes follows the path a least resistance, which is why sound "ricochets". Knowing this, I propose an "Overdrive Ready" alert instead of "Velocity Warning" alert. And as MJ jokingly stated, why shouldn't we be able to gain full control of our Legionnaire? I say that we should be able to execute barrel rolls and flips/backflips. This way we can actually say that there is "freedom of movement" in Legions. I'll make a separate thread about this.

The speed of sound through air at 1 atm and 20˚C is 343 m/s

skypredator

But what about Core? THat's got o be at least 30˚C. It's all made of lava and hot rocks. Let's say that it's only 20˚C for Grass Maps, like Baldy Run, Moon Sheen, and George.

Edit: I am not poking fun at the map names; These are simply accidental typos I made a few days ago. :)

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Okay, this is getting off topic. If there isn't anything else to say about changing the speed message, then I'd like this thread to be locked, please. I don't even know how it got to the speed of sound.

skypredator

Okay, this is getting off topic. If there isn't anything else to say about changing the speed message, then I'd like this thread to be locked, please. I don't even know how it got to the speed of sound.
Oh, no, I fully support this idea! I'm sure that new players will be willing to experiment once they find out that there is no KDR, perks, or special classes. :D

We got to this discussion when I stated that not all sound has the same frequency, given the temperature and gas in the atmosphere, leading me to go on, stating that perhaps players and projectiles should move faster on certain maps, given the varying climates. Just an idea. This would cause the "Overdrive Ready" message to appear at a lower or higher velocity on certain maps.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
ah, well I think Overdrive is based on absolute velocity, and the deBroglie wavelength of something 2-3 meters tall weighing in probably at around half a ton (for the outriders) is pretty small, and atmospheric conditions won't really affect stuff of the mass Legionnaires are.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
ah, well I think Overdrive is based on absolute velocity, and the deBroglie wavelength of something 2-3 meters tall weighing in probably at around half a ton (for the outriders) is pretty small, and atmospheric conditions won't really affect stuff of the mass Legionnaires are.

didn't daphinicus explain how overdrive damaged you, in turn a bit about overdrive in a forum post somewhere?

I can't resist: Broglie waves are quantummechanical effects, they only apply to very well isolated particles in isolated systems if I recall correctly (e.g. electrons in accelerators). You're not going to see any of this for a 500kg system moving at ~ the speed of sound. If you want to find a lore solution to overdrive, maybe think about the air friction ionizing the particles emitted by the jets and causing a 'magnetic chain reaction' or something like that.