Something for the new legionnaires

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I was reading another thread and something Disci said (thanks) made me think, instead of a 'velocity warning' thing glowing on the HUD, since that makes new players ski like grannies (I used to think bad things happened when that warning flashed back in IA. I figured it out eventually, and then I was embarrassed.)

Instead of "Velocity Warning" which kinda gives the implication that you're going too fast, instead the legionnaire is going fast enough, so I propose changing the warning to "Overdrive Ready" or adding that under the "Velocity Warning" because that would make things a little less confusing for new players.

Royalty

The Aussie
I was reading another thread and something Disci said (thanks) made me think, instead of a 'velocity warning' thing glowing on the HUD, since that makes new players ski like grannies (I used to think bad things happened when that warning flashed back in IA. I figured it out eventually, and then I was embarrassed.)

Instead of "Velocity Warning" which kinda gives the implication that you're going too fast, instead the legionnaire is going fast enough, so I propose changing the warning to "Overdrive Ready" or adding that under the "Velocity Warning" because that would make things a little less confusing for new players.
How about implementing this for new players, however allowing it to be changed back to "VELOCITY WARNING" through the options menu (cos I know some players like the VELOCITY WARNING message)

Pure4Pwnge

newsign.png

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
but what about sentinels? They can do instant OD.

True, but if there was an option to turn it back, people who play sentinels can do so.
LOL. Me too.

*cough*or we could have a tutorial*cough*
This is much quicker than a tutorial.

yes, pure, good job, but I was thinking make this a default option for new players that don't know how to change the message, and wouldn't know to change the message to that because they don't know what happens when they go over 90 m/s

Fixious

Test Lead
What if it was only temporary, say, only displaying the R for the first week of playtime? Then went to the normal message without the R.

Fixious

Test Lead
Well, this concept is mainly aimed at newcomers who don't quite know how to OD. Assuming there's never a tutorial of sorts pushed out, that is.

Pure4Pwnge

Perhaps we could do it so that the file with the letter is auto included with the first live download. Then as the player has been playing for say, 2 weeks, or has had their account for a certain amount of time ie. 2-3 weeks, the launcher automatically overrides the old warning with the letter and replaces/auto-updates with the one without.

EDIT: meh..the colors are a bit different...Still messing around with the glow and stuff.
newsign2.png

Aptiva!

The word "warning" definitely is counter-intuitive. What about "Sufficient Velocity Achieved"? "Required Velocity for Overdrive Achieved" is too long. Maybe just "Overdrive Velocity Achieved"?

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
OVERDRIVE READY(IF YOU WANT TO USE IT PRESS 'R' KEY AND KEEP YOUR JETS ACTIVATED. ONCE YOU WANT TO STOP, RELEASE YOUR JETS FOR A BRIEF MOMENT)
You made my day, disci. However, stopping is more intuitive. Most people grasp that if you want to stop going, you let go of the controls. That principle works in just about any game, and most people who play legions have probably played other games before.

Also, to everybody else. You all talk about ways to switch the message to 'velocity warning' after a few weeks or something. The new players aren't going to know about the 'velocity warning' message, so they won't miss it. Pure has already proven that it is possible to go in and change the message, so there can be a thread on it for everybody who wants to change it back. There are many ways to do this, but the new players don't need to have an 'Overdrive Ready' signal change to anything else, they won't miss that which they don't know exist.

Pure4Pwnge

lotsatext
Well, I already suggested that the OVERDRIVE READY message come default for new accounts, then when the system detects that the person has had their account for say 2 or 3 weeks, the launcher automatically downloads a new OVERDRIVE READY without the letter guide on the side that overrides the original OVERDRIVE READY(R).