Some ideas and questions to Devs ^_^

s3YOLOSWAGg

Hi, my name is Jayce and I've been a gamer for a very, very, very long time now ever since I was little. One day I happened to stumble across Fallen Empire: Legions (InstantAction version which was okay... <--- ping issues.) Anyway, I'm very glad that you guys have revived Legions!! ^_^ I love playing the game and will most likely be active in this community!!

Now that the community has developers that actually look into people's ideas...

Suggestion: Is it possible to make the client able to search for local network area (LAN) servers that are running? This was players on the go (USB Flash Drive) or with their friends (computer lab, etc.) will have an easier time setting up skirmishes.

(There is actually already a way to play Legions: Overdrive on LAN, I might post a tutorial with video later.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: I read in the Dev Blog (here) that Legions would soon be switching game engines and going on Steam. Could the Devs explain that bit a little more please? It kind of frightens me...

Engine Question(s):
-If Legions turns out to be "bad" on Unity (decided by devs & community), will we go back to Torque3D?

Steam Question(s):
-Will Legions on steam be a Pay-to-Play (P2P) with the older versions released to the public (like what happened to "Ace Of Spades" (<<---- Google what happened or read footnotes#1) or will it be like "America's Army" on Steam where you just have the option of using steam to download/update the game client.
-Will players be required to have steam installed and running to play Legions? (I feel that this would be a turnoff to members of the community who are constantly on the go and keep a copy of Legions on their USB drives...)

Thank you guys for reviving the game, I really appreciate it and I cant wait to see what happens next!!!

Footnotes:
#1: "Ace of Spades" started as a free to play sandbox shooting game. Later, after alpha releases, the game was put onto Steam made Pay-to-Play (P2P). The original alpha version is still around though the community changed the name of it so it would be apart from the P2P version.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
-Will players be required to have steam installed and running to play Legions? (I feel that this would be a turnoff to members of the community who are constantly on the go and keep a copy of Legions on their USB drives...)

wat

EDIT: On a serious note, the plan is to implement Steam API into the game, which means using Steam accounts to verify users. This comes with loads of benefits, such as no more smurfing, I can't really think of why you'd need to have a portable version of Legions? How many gaming PCs do you have? If you are intending on running the Unity engine on integrated graphics... good luck.

Fixious

Test Lead
Question: I read in the Dev Blog (here) that Legions would soon be switching game engines and going on Steam. Could the Devs explain that bit a little more please? It kind of frightens me...

The next Legions (tentatively titled 'Legions 2') will be on Unity. The plan is to release it on Steam. There's really not much more they can reveal about Legions 2 at this point. The next patch (1.40) will be for the current version of Legions, which isn't changing engines or anything. Just adding a bunch of new content to tide us over until Legions 2 arrives.

If Legions turns out to be "bad" on Unity (decided by devs & community), will we go back to Torque3D?

Extremely unlikely. The original plan was to put Legions 2 on Torque3D (it's currently on an older build called Juggernaut), however after some consideration they felt it was better to make the switch to Unity. Porting over to Torque3D would've taken a lot of work, perhaps more-so than starting over from scratch on Unity. And to be blunt, the team wanted to move away from Torque after working with it for so long.

I can't answer any of the other questions because I simply don't know. Pricing hasn't been announced yet.

GReaper

Grumpy
Suggestion: Is it possible to make the client able to search for local network area (LAN) servers that are running? This was players on the go (USB Flash Drive) or with their friends (computer lab, etc.) will have an easier time setting up skirmishes.

(There is actually already a way to play Legions: Overdrive on LAN, I might post a tutorial with video later.)

You can probably implement this yourself with queryLANServers, I'm assuming it still works.

If you're going to create your own personal USB version, just add a mod which does this for you.

s3YOLOSWAGg

Thank you guys for answering my questions ^_^ To see Legions being revived really made my day!!

edit:
wat

EDIT: On a serious note, the plan is to implement Steam API into the game, which means using Steam accounts to verify users. This comes with loads of benefits, such as no more smurfing, I can't really think of why you'd need to have a portable version of Legions? How many gaming PCs do you have? If you are intending on running the Unity engine on integrated graphics... good luck.

I was just wondering if Legions players would be required to have Steam installed and own steam accounts to play or if the current "launcher" would still be put into use, (Steam not installed, 2 ways of player verification (Steam API and original Launcher), and game client downloadable from Steam and original Launcher...)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The original launcher does not even have to be used nowadays to start legions. It is only used as updating. When legions 2.0 is produced, there will be little point of developing a new launcher where the developers can simply take advantage of using steam as the distribution platform.

You seem very anti-steam, may I ask why? The benefits that steam brings to this game are massive and important to the survival of the game.

You can use this to query LAN servers I've been using it for a long time to play with my friends

https://mega.co.nz/#!ghwSiJZb!WVw2BQK1X19JhhIkQgetWklF_kAq49XqVzpXGWMfbKA
just put it in ".\live\mods\autoexec\" everyone of you should have it so it would be easier for you to host and play together.
note(if you press it before the online servers are shown it would remove the first online server and put the LAN server instead of it and the opposite is possible)
edit: Ops i forgot to tell you what it does, it adds a button to search for LAN servers.

s3YOLOSWAGg

The original launcher does not even have to be used nowadays to start legions. It is only used as updating. When legions 2.0 is produced, there will be little point of developing a new launcher where the developers can simply take advantage of using steam as the distribution platform.

You seem very anti-steam, may I ask why? The benefits that steam brings to this game are massive and important to the survival of the game.

There's plenty of good things that Steam would bring to Legions but there's also bad things that may or may not happen, I don't know, I can't predict the future. X.x
I do agree that Steam would bring benefits to the game that are "important to the survival of the game", but I feel that most of these benefits offered can be achieved without the use of Steam...
To answer your question about me being "very anti-Steam", I used to use Steam myself and was introduced to it by a few friends (Most who have quit using it).

-I see that the only benefits with Steam is to prevent smurfing, maybe a little advertisement, and to open up the game to a whole new group of gamers.
-In my own honest opinion, I firmly believe that the three above benefits (and others I may have missed) can be achieved without Steam and that the bad aspects of Legions on Steam heavily outweigh the good.
  1. Steam is a Monopoly
    http://www.gamesbrief.com/2010/05/five-reasons-why-steam-will-destroy-the-pc-games-industry/
    Think of it like this, picture Steam as Toyota, they're doing alright. What if something goes wrong (like the recent recall)? And if Steam happens to go bankrupt one day, everyone who bought games on Steam would have just been throwing their money into Valve's fireplace.

If you buy a game on Steam, you own it right? The truth is, you don't... You own the license, not the game.
    "Nope; you buy Licences, not the game. The licences are transferable though, so the end user thinks they "own" the game; they do not."

Multiple opinions here (both for good and bad of Steam), but the part/post I would like to point out aren't about how "Steam is godly or Steam Sucks Ass".
    The post on that thread I would like to point out states:

"
    Leave it out..

People who have no time for Steam only want to get on with gaming as per usual, without the anal retentive control of Valve.
    (Gabe Newell did work for Microsoft after all !)

Game devs and distributors want to use Steam ? Well..make its use "AN OPTION", for the gamer who loves the cuddly womb of Steam, or the gamer who, like with books, just wants to play the game, and loan it to mates etc.
    (Who knows..as a result of a loan quite possibly a gamer might go out and buy his/her own copy. Ever think of that, Valve ?)
    (tits !)
    Steam is a pain in the arse !

Phil Bird
    "

I feel that the above statement goes back to my original point that
    -> Developers should make Steam "AN OPTION" for the gamer, not an "Requirement". <-
    I've noticed Steam is just one of those things where you either love it or you hate it.
  2. Steam Has Horrible Customer Support
    Believe it or not, but it's true. I've even had issues with them myself. Read Here. You can send in a well written ticket and your initial problem may not even be addressed in their response.
  3. Steam Isn't As Convenient As You May Believe
    Its actually a hassle, Steam can be a good way to advertise Legions and distribute it, but I think requiring Legions players to install steam, make a steam account, then download the game from steam, play the game with steam running is jut a hassle.
    Why not just use the traditional launcher/patch > authentication > Play style of general online gaming companies (such as Blizzard, Riot Games, Outspark, etc.)
  4. Steam's Other Issues
    They don't actually provide information on how to run games on a certain PC Spec, most steam users just check the forums for the game. The hassle of having steam running if you just want to play the game. Sometimes you have to add in custom syntax into the "launch options" for Steam integrated games. You cannot bring your settings with you on the go or if you are switching computers (You could, but it would be more complicated and more bothersome for the general public.)

Notes: Sorry for my horrid organization, my 3rd and 4th points are kind of tied together. Hopefully after reading this post you can see why I'm a little scared the idea of Legions being integrated with Valve's Steam... (IMO Valve isn't even that great of a developer, but then we'd be talking apples and oranges ^_^)
You can use this to query LAN servers I've been using it for a long time to play with my friends

https://mega.co.nz/#!ghwSiJZb!WVw2BQK1X19JhhIkQgetWklF_kAq49XqVzpXGWMfbKA
just put it in ".\live\mods\autoexec\" everyone of you should have it so it would be easier for you to host and play together.
note(if you press it before the online servers are shown it would remove the first online server and put the LAN server instead of it and the opposite is possible)
edit: Ops i forgot to tell you what it does, it adds a button to search for LAN servers.

Thanks! I'll try it later today. That really helps out lots! ^_^

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Your links are far out of date. 2009? We're in 2013. Valve has surely smoothed out most issues like the ones you have mentioned.

Steam is simply not a monopoly, granted it has a high market share in terms of digital distribution, but that is because of the service it offers is very good.

-I see that the only benefits with Steam is to prevent smurfing, maybe a little advertisement, and to open up the game to a whole new group of gamers.
-In my own honest opinion, I firmly believe that the three above benefits (and others I may have missed) can be achieved without Steam and that the bad aspects of Legions on Steam heavily outweigh the good.

Excuse me, but I want a detailed marketing plan drawn up that doesn't involve high amounts of finance that will successfully advertise Legions 2.0 which will draw in potentially a million players to try the game on launch day.

Will expand on points later...

s3YOLOSWAGg

*Fireblasto*, I'm not stating that Steam is all bad or Legions should not go on Steam. I'm just asking the Devs not to make the game >only< available on Steam. Thus it would be an >option< to players, not become a >requirement<.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
*Fireblasto*, I'm not stating that Steam is all bad or Legions should not go on Steam. I'm just asking the Devs not to make the game >only< available on Steam. Thus it would be an >option< to players, not become a >requirement<.
N..O..

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

Doing this would mean more work for the developers, and seeing as they volunteer they own time to develop the game, I think developing the game is the main thing that they should be focusing on. Not some launcher.

s3YOLOSWAGg

Doing this would mean more work for the developers, and seeing as they volunteer they own time to develop the game, I think developing the game is the main thing that they should be focusing on. Not some launcher.

Well, developing the game still means coming up with a system. I don't see why you and Dabbleh don't like the idea of having Steam as an >option< and not a >requirement<. Also, Dabbleh has only contributed 1/3 serious comments to the topic (kinda cute ^_^ )

I just wanna see what everyone's opinion was...

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'll reiterate myself one last time for you: I'm not against a launcher that you have suggested, I'm just saying that it's pointless to produce a launcher when steam api takes care of that for us. Developers should be spending time on developing the game, not a launcher.

tl;dr: Steam is handy, Steam is easy, Steam is good.​
Edit:​
Also, Dabbleh has only contributed 1/3 serious comments to the topic (kinda cute ^_^ ).

He tends to do that when he gets annoyed at stupid things/people.

Edit2:

Also, your long-ass post about steam was pretty pointless.

Sin

Private Tester
Mmmk....not a good idea to just rattle on in here and start with a little insulting Mister YOLOSWAG. On the other hand, it's also not very nice to flap at a new guy. C'mon guys let's wait until we get to know each other before we being the mud-slinging.

s3YOLOSWAGg

*Fireblasto*, I've took more time thinking about this and have come up with a solution that everyone would like...
also, I never said anything about coming up with a new launcher, that would be dumb.

"Developers should be spending time on developing the game, not a launcher."
They've already made the launcher, its just not put into use yet...

Lets say *Fireblasto*, that your in Gamer Group A who likes Steam and I'm in Gamer Group B who doesn't like to use Steam or Steam drags down the horrid home computer
I think we can be friends...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is... Put the game on Steam, but make it optional to have Steam. Have a Steam page. Let users use Steam to download and update Legions.

From Page 14 of America's Army FAQ

"
STEAM
1. WHAT IS STEAM AND WHY DO I NEED IT?
Answer: Steam is gaming community software that offers players pay to play and free games. Steam is also a good way to download AA3 free. Not only does Steam offer all sorts of other games; they also offer ways of staying up to date in the gaming community. You can in-game chat and also use Steam's VOIP (voice over internet protocol). Steam also offers an easy way to keep all of your games organized on your computer and keep them up to date. So, stop by Steam and setup your free account and start gaming with others that have the same desire about gaming. http://www.steampowered.com
2. DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR STEAM OR A STEAM ACCOUNT?
Answer: No, you do not. Steam may be downloaded free of charge from http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have installed Steam, you may create a free Steam account from the window that opens when the Steam client is started.
3. IS MY STEAM ACCOUNT LINKED IN ANY WAY WITH MY AA3 ACCOUNT?
Answer: No, your Steam account is only used to gain access to download and update AA3 through the Steam client. There is no connection to your AA3 game account.
"

If Legions followed AA's decision of being incorporated with Steam, it would look like this.
Steam users would download Legions on Steam, After launching Legions on Steam they would see the current Launcher. They would then make an account with the current registration and continue to play the game. The Steam account wouldn't be tied to your Legions Account. Non-steam users would just proceed as normal. This system wouldn't use SteamAPI.

What about smurfing (as Dabbleh mentioned earlier)? You can change your name in Steam games whenever you wish, they just have a ID number to identify you. My idea here is that Legions would have their own database and the current "nickname" portion of the current registration would actually be used, assuming that the box for the name on the main menu of the client was going to be removed anyway and become static, showing your "nickname" you registered with.

If this idea is accepted it would accommodate users like *Fireblasto* and I, from both Gamer Groups A and B, who dislike and like steam for their own reasons. Problem Solved?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
"Developers should be spending time on developing the game, not a launcher."
They've already made the launcher, its just not put into use yet...

They would have to develop a new launcher for the new game.... Was that not clear?

Problem Solved?

Not in the slightest. Your solution means that it takes gamers longer to get into the game which would annoy many players. People don;t like waiting, nor signing up for a new account just to play one game.

s3YOLOSWAGg

They would have to develop a new launcher for the new game.... Was that not clear?

Not in the slightest. Your solution means that it takes gamers longer to get into the game which would annoy many players. People don;t like waiting, nor signing up for a new account just to play one game.

Let me ask you... Where in my suggestion did I ever bring up the devs creating a new Launcher? I didn't, ever. My suggestion just puts the current one into use.

Also, my solution does not take gamers longer to get into the game. Having Steam as a >requirement< takes gamers longer to get into games. My solution is just trying to give players the "best of both worlds". You can launch from Steam or W/out Steam. Get it now?

It would look like this:
Steam Users:
See Legions
Download Legions
Launched Legions from Steam which opens up the current Launcher.
Make Account, authentication, game downloads and continue to play the game like normal.

Non-Steam users:
Download Legions from website
Make Account, authentication, game downloads and continue to play the game like normal.

...Anyways, I don't see why your the only one who has a problem with this Idea (or why you are choosing to hate on me...), I get that Steam can be good and is good to the survival of the game, to introduce players, but not everyone would want to make a Steam account and download the Steam-app just to play Legions...(you stated that "People don;t like waiting, nor signing up for a new account just to play one game.", so why should people be forced to sign up for and download Steam just to play Legions? Would that not be signing up for a new account, and also downloading the Steam-app just to play one game?

Original point I'm trying to get to you guys is that Steam should be an >option<, not a >requirement< for Legion players.