Torque 3d Legions Profile

curser656

I have experience with maya and 3ds max, but on torque you need a project profile to work within that game, it's not all under one umbrella. Does anyone know how to get the legions information or if it's available anywhere? I'm trying to start working on maps.

curser656

on the garage games site it says torque 3d is tgea? Idk if I'm missing something but, could you direct me to the right program?

curser656

Where can I get Juggernaut? Is that a product available or is it like, super secret legions only? I mean was it legions that modified the engine.

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
@curser656 - Juggernaut was an internal name used to describe a converged build of the Torque technologies. It only existed in the source control repository used by the employees. It was never productized. Rather, Torque 3D grew out of Juggernaut. Legions was originally built on TGEA, but was finalized using a lot of Juggernaut code. The goal was to build future games and Torque engines on the Juggernaut code base, but plans changed.

It sounds like you are interested in modding. The good news is that a large portion of Torque 3D's code base is still shared with Legions. The bad news is that they do not share the same content pipeline. TGEA used the DTS format, which was a proprietary and binary format. Torque 3D also supports that, but it introduced COLLADA support (which is still the officially supported format for T3D).

Cirus

@curser656 - Juggernaut was an internal name used to describe a converged build of the Torque technologies. It only existed in the source control repository used by the employees. It was never productized. Rather, Torque 3D grew out of Juggernaut. Legions was originally built on TGEA, but was finalized using a lot of Juggernaut code. The goal was to build future games and Torque engines on the Juggernaut code base, but plans changed.

It sounds like you are interested in modding. The good news is that a large portion of Torque 3D's code base is still shared with Legions. The bad news is that they do not share the same content pipeline. TGEA used the DTS format, which was a proprietary and binary format. Torque 3D also supports that, but it introduced COLLADA support (which is still the officially supported format for T3D).

from the sounds of things it looks like there will be a bunch of code translation for any new content created for Legions... So, if I may pose a side question, what would be some coding languages to research to help with understanding and creating Legion-friendly content?

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
@DeadGuy - I'm pleased to see the dedication and talent still thriving for Legions. We were just talking about you guys last week in the office.

DKnight556

from the sounds of things it looks like there will be a bunch of code translation for any new content created for Legions... So, if I may pose a side question, what would be some coding languages to research to help with understanding and creating Legion-friendly content?
TorqueScript is most likely the closest you can get. But as stated before there are some differences

GameDevMich

Honored Hero

The core engine was written in C++, but it is an extremely old architecture when you compare it to more current development. For extending and modding a Torque based game, the concepts of C programming are important. The scripts themselves are TorqueScript, extension .CS. CS stands for "C Script", because it uses concepts of C. If you are specifically interested in that language, you can check out the two docs I wrote on it:

Overview: http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-...entation/Scripting/Overview/Introduction.html
Syntax Guide: http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/content/documentation/Scripting/Overview/Syntax.html

curser656

I kind of got lost here, am I running the right program right now? Torque 3d?

GameDevMich

Honored Hero
I kind of got lost here, am I running the right program right now? Torque 3d?
Hm, maybe I posted information that was not pertinent to your intention. You could use Torque 3D to create a proof of concept for a level or design, but it will not be useful for Legions unless someone back ports the project.

If you wish to just create artwork, then you can use Torque 3D to preview it. If you want to get any of your changes into a Legions mod, well, you'll probably want to read the big mod threads in that section of the forum. I've never tried modding the game, so I don't know what the team's process is like. If it is like any other previous Torque games, it is not difficult if you know where you are working.