Some ideas and questions to Devs ^_^

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
You want to pay for the hosting? You know how much of a pain in the ass and waste of time it'd be to set up two authentication methods?

Just go cry to yourself that you won't be able to play Legions without Steam and get it over and done with.

EVERY PC GAMER HAS A STEAM ACCOUNT.

s3YOLOSWAGg

You want to pay for the hosting? You know how much of a pain in the ass and waste of time it'd be to set up two authentication methods?

Just go cry to yourself that you won't be able to play Legions without Steam and get it over and done with.

EVERY PC GAMER HAS A STEAM ACCOUNT.

It's not two authentication methods, it's one. Go see for yourself how America's Army does it. Also, it would actually be less a pain in the ass for the Devs seeing as that its already halfway done and it was their original intention. I'm trying to be as clear as possible how it works. I'll make a diagram to you guys that don't get what I'm talking about when I get out of school.

Quit being so arrogant <3 cuz two wrongs don't make a right.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'll rephrase this for you because you're stupid: The current launcher will not be able to launch legions 2.0 due to technical reasons. The current launcher won't work with legions 2.0 without at least some modifications ( plus current launcher is *chocolate cookies* and very basic) . Is that not obvious?

Everyone I know has steam installed. Steam has millions of users. It's not like steam is origin or desura which no one really uses. Steam loads automatically on boot for many people. Go figure. Creating a new launcher and a new auth system that users have to create another account with on top of steam is pointless even of it does allow users to not use steam to play legions. I think that not many people will use this 'launcher' over the handiness of steam. Therefore, why waste developing a new auth system and launcher for a very small specific group where it will take considerable time to make it whereas we can just use steam api....

The reason no one else is commenting on this thread is because its pretty pointless but I enjoy stupid people making a fool of themselves ( look at my sig?). Either way I'm done dealing with this as seem unable to comprehend my most basic arguments (see first paragraph) for steam. /thread (lock)

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
There were development issues associated with keeping the old authentication system in place, which is why it was removed to begin with. Whether the switch to Unity changes this, I don't know. I'll speak to Poponfu to see if I can get an updated answer.

Also, lets keep this thread civil. It's pompous to assume that everybody wants Steam or everybody should use Steam - there's a pretty big segment out there who'd prefer their games standalone and not associated with Steam (or Origin or what have you). As for my personal opinion on the matter, I think Steam would offer Legions something it would sorely need: access to a far wider gaming audience. Having a built-in authentication system would be icing on the cake (and save a crapload of time).

Mukhtar

It would look like this:
Steam Users:
See Legions
Download Legions
Launched Legions from Steam which opens up the current Launcher.
Make Account, authentication, game downloads and continue to play the game like normal.

Non-Steam users:
Download Legions from website
Make Account, authentication, game downloads and continue to play the game like normal.
This is actually possible. APB runs this exact system, but APB also has >RESOURCES< something >LEGIONS< is >MISSING<.
How hard is it to login into steam and dl the game? I mean, I understand some people can be autistic enough to not know how to install mods and such, but this is a whole new spectrum that not even the experts have yet cracked.

Instead of making 50000 word walls of text, just state the obvious. There is no need to stretch this to a noble argument because in the end this is the internetz.

s3YOLOSWAGg

This is actually possible. APB runs this exact system, but APB also has >RESOURCES< something >LEGIONS< is >MISSING<.
How hard is it to login into steam and dl the game? I mean, I understand some people can be autistic enough to not know how to install mods and such, but this is a whole new spectrum that not even the experts have yet cracked.

Instead of making 50000 word walls of text, just be a *fancy lad* like me and state the obvious. There is no need to stretch this to a noble argument because in the end this is the internetz lelelelelelHEUHEUEAJAJAJ.

p.s. please change your name, I had a very hard time trying to actually keep my comment civil instead of just finding krakyn's gif and posting that.

OMG THANK YOU, I know its not hard to jut download Steam but some people either (a) don't like Steam or (b) they are on metered internet or (c) Steam slows their internet. I don't see how it would be harder to just give the game a Steam page and let Steam users download.

To conclude, it's one or the other. Not both.

The suggestion I made only had 1 way.

There, I decided to completely do this: "be a *fancy lad* like me and state the obvious." -Mukhtar
edit: can't force my text out as far as I wanted >.<

Steam-app > Legion's Steam Page > Download > Launch from Steam |
|>Opens Launcher > Register/Log in > Authentication > Play.​
Run Legion's Launcher as normal ---------------------------------------|

@SeymourGore
Would future versions of Legions still have the capability for offline play whether integrated with Steam or not? i.e. Open the game with the option to join online servers disabled for offline play (LAN) purposes?

At this point I really do not care what happens with all this Steam stuff, Steam is great for advertisement and that can be done without requiring players to download, install, and register for Steam. Imho, players should be given the >option< to use Steam, not be >forced< to.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Steam-app > Legion's Steam Page > Download > Launch from Steam |
|>Opens Launcher > Register/Log in > Authentication > Play.​
Run Legion's Launcher as normal ---------------------------------------|
So what you are trying to say in the most dribbler way possible is; keep the old authentication, just have the download on Steam (as well as the LO site, presumably).

My opinion would be no, go full API integration, it would be nicer and more polished for everyone. There are many reasons, which I will state when it's not 11pm, as to why else it is a great idea to get the Steam API on the game.

s3YOLOSWAGg

So what you are trying to say in the most dribbler way possible is; keep the old authentication, just have the download on Steam (as well as the LO site, presumably).

My opinion would be no, go full API integration, it would be nicer and more polished for everyone. There are many reasons, which I will state when it's not 11pm, as to why else it is a great idea to get the Steam API on the game.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm trying to say.

-Put Legions on Steam.
-Advertise Legions on Steam
-Offer Legions download on Steam
-Offer Legions download on LO site

-Use 1 user authentication system that would be hosted on LO site (database)

In this way, Steam would become optional. idk, imho it would just be more flexible and inviting to everyone. Steam lovers & Steam haters.
Also, in your explanation would you include how Steam API would prevent smurfing other than the user ID (numbers) given by Valve's system. I recall that in Steam games, you can change your online/IGN anytime you wish into whatever you wish and it's hard (a pain in the ass) to keep track of who is who...

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Also, in your explanation would you include how Steam API would prevent smurfing other than the user ID (numbers) given by Valve's system. I recall that in Steam games, you can change your online/IGN anytime you wish into whatever you wish and it's hard (a pain in the ass) to keep track of who is who...

People use their Steam account to buy games, so their account is actually some value to them. Yes, it is possible to make a new Steam account and log out, but a lot of people don't see the hassle in logging in and out of their Steam program.

Since we are building Legions 2 with Steam in mind, stuff like stats and achievements will actually be linked to your Steam account. This API is already in place, building our own would be a waste of time since Steam already has the huge community and has been tried and tested, not to mention the stability of their servers won't match ours.

It is very unlikely that the devs will opt to do more work which doesn't have the funding to be tried and tested as Steam is, every new authentication system takes stupid amounts of testing and using the already available Steam API, we would bypass this and decrease the time in development. (STEAM MEANS MORE COOL STUFF AND SOONER™ LEGIONS 2!?)

s3YOLOSWAGg

People use their Steam account to buy games, so their account is actually some value to them. Yes, it is possible to make a new Steam account and log out, but a lot of people don't see the hassle in logging in and out of their Steam program.

Since we are building Legions 2 with Steam in mind, stuff like stats and achievements will actually be linked to your Steam account. This API is already in place, building our own would be a waste of time since Steam already has the huge community and has been tried and tested, not to mention the stability of their servers won't match ours.

It is very unlikely that the devs will opt to do more work which doesn't have the funding to be tried and tested as Steam is, every new authentication system takes stupid amounts of testing and using the already available Steam API, we would bypass this and decrease the time in development. (STEAM MEANS MORE COOL STUFF AND SOONER™ LEGIONS 2!?)

I don't mean log out of their Steam account and make a new one. I recall that in Steam games you can just change your IGN at will, using the same account. After Legions 2.0 comes out on Steam, if it is integrated with Steam API (most likely), I will probably request permission from the Devs to create a launcher (using idk, maybe .Net) that allows Legions players to log into Steam and launch Legions through their Steam accounts without actually installing the Steam-app. Problem solved now.

Still curious to if future versions of Legions still have the capability for offline play whether integrated with Steam or not? i.e. Open the game with the option to join online servers disabled for offline play (LAN) purposes?

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I don't mean log out of their Steam account and make a new one. I recall that in Steam games you can just change your IGN at will, using the same account. After Legions 2.0 comes out on Steam, if it is integrated with Steam API (most likely), I will probably request permission from the Devs to create a launcher (using idk, maybe .Net) that allows Legions players to log into Steam and launch Legions through their Steam accounts without actually installing the Steam-app. Problem solved now.

Still curious to if future versions of Legions still have the capability for offline play whether integrated with Steam or not? i.e. Open the game with the option to join online servers disabled for offline play (LAN) purposes?
Unique Steam IDs.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
But would it still not be annoying to have to check every time someone uses someone else's name?
All you have whittled this down to is *dancing* smurfing? Fyi, you can set nicknames on Steam, and if you even care THAT much, you can check their steam profile for more info.

s3YOLOSWAGg

All you have whittled this down to is *dancing* smurfing? Fyi, you can set nicknames on Steam, and if you even care THAT much, you can check their steam profile for more info.
like I said, idrc if Legions is implemented intot he Steam API anymore, I never complained about smurfing, you did

edit: it would be a pain in the ass to do your own authentication system/database but in the end it may or may not be more worth in easy of use, understanding, and if you ever wanted to part from Steam, all while still marketing on Steam.
edit2: Blog posts state that there was a authentication system in place before so if going this route it wouldn't be so long.