Remove Sniper from Outrider

Status
Not open for further replies.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
You actually lose 100% of your jet energy. I really love how most of the self-appointed "laser experts" out there get that wrong.
Fair enough, but the energy comes back quickly enough its a little hard to tell. I was going to rebuke that "self appointed "laser expert"" thing when I realized I did that when I wrote a beginner's guide on the darn thing.

phanakapan

Private Tester
energy drain works exactly the same between both versions: you fire and it uses energy. more energy means more damage. I was wrong, old sniper was not energy based...guess it's been too long.

the difference is you cannot ski or jet while charging to fire, meaning you must have increased terrain awareness and jet management to chase snipe and duel snipe, but static sniping is relatively the same (without twitch shots and being able to respawn and instantly fire like you currently can). plus it opens up the ability to overdrive snipe.

Since the damage is less than the previous version, the charging time should also be shorter than it was at that time. we aren't talking about an impossibly difficult to use weapon when chasing, just a change in the way you would chase snipe. We aren't talking about gluing players to the ground when dueling, just making them more aware of their jets. etc etc.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
energy drain works exactly the same between both versions: you fire and it uses energy. more energy means more damage.

the difference is you cannot ski or jet while charging to fire, meaning you must have increased terrain awareness and jet management to chase snipe and duel snipe, but static sniping is relatively the same (without twitch shots and being able to respawn and instantly fire like you currently can). plus it opens up the ability to overdrive snipe.

Since the damage is less than the previous version, the charging time should also be shorter than it was at that time. we aren't talking about an impossibly difficult to use weapon when chasing, just a change in the way you would chase snipe. We aren't talking about gluing players to the ground when dueling, just making them more aware of their jets. etc etc.

I dunno, I think the charge and the energy drain is a high price to pay just to be able to overdrive snipe, which is a very niche mechanic. Regardless of how short that charging time is. I feel that the weapon would be nerfed even more if we're going to use a charging time and a massive energy drain to chase. Although the shots will no doubt look impressive from a video point of view, the old way of chase sniping was to fly up, charge up, and fire - at no energy cost. Now with the 'new' way, I can click and shoot without having to turn off my jets - but for a high energy cost. A mix of these two methods could potentially be disastrous in my opinion, as you won't be able to do either method, just a weird mix of them.

I prefer that method more because its the one I have got used to, like you have with the old charge.

Another option if you're set on having the charge return may be the longer you charge the weapon for, the more damage that it does. I.e If you just fired it straight of the bat, it does the minimum amount of damage - hold it down for up to 2 seconds ( Just throwing a random number in there) - and it does the maximum amount of damage. This method could be used to calculate damage without having it based off energy.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I rewatched my old sniping video and I was wrong. I agree that both no jetting or skiing and energy drain would be too much. I think the old way of it not using energy when firing, but not being able to jet or ski while charging would balance the weapon and be more fun than the current point and click.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I rewatched my old sniping video and I was wrong. I agree that both no jetting or skiing and energy drain would be too much. I think the old way of it not using energy when firing, but not being able to jet or ski while charging would balance the weapon and be more fun than the current point and click.

Yes, That's exactly what I agree with.

GrimReefer

Are we talking about bringing back the first sniper class?
If not, we should be. That was my favorite.
If so, excuse me for misunderstanding.

skypredator

You actually lose 100% of your jet energy. I really love how most of the self-appointed "laser experts" out there get that wrong.

He never appointed himself a laser expert.

The Mortar is the only one that really poses a big threat (1 hit KO), but assuming you are talking about the public test here, mortars are only available on Sentinel's and that means that they would have to go HO if you are D-sniping. Yes sniping is fun.

Man check out MJ1284's video :p

Just wondering, why if you are O sniping or D sniping. Because I don't think many people run while D sniping, and O sniping is just... O sniping.

I was referring to chase snipers. Karnage and Envy like to chase me for fun when I'm chase sniping. It makes it more fun. =]

skypredator

There's no real need to do that, Gheist. We're still discussing why the sniper should/should be changed. I see some very well-thought out opinions from both sides. However, if you feel the need to lock this thread, I'll not stand in your way. =]

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
There's no real need to do that, Gheist. We're still discussing why the sniper should/should be changed. I see some very well-thought out opinions from both sides. However, if you feel the need to lock this thread, I'll not stand in your way. =]
you can't stand in his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.