Player health recharge

luiscm97

well that idea is very good but will the base heal thing repair alone or someone has to go to it to heal it

57thRomance

I like the idea of a "base heal". I really like the idea of this being a destructible structure that grants this regeneration to nearby players. Defensive players would be able to restore their health via the regeneration method (ie: as it is now), but the other teams offense could then target this healing structure, thereby crippling defense (until the structure is repaired).

Combining these permanent base structures with user deployables could make for some intense and dynamic battles.
How will we know the boundaries of the bases? Will we have some force field around the base, a message saying "Entering your/enemy base", or a healing zone or two at each base?

Strife

I like the idea of a "base heal". I really like the idea of this being a destructible structure that grants this regeneration to nearby players. Defensive players would be able to restore their health via the regeneration method (ie: as it is now), but the other teams offense could then target this healing structure, thereby crippling defense (until the structure is repaired).

Combining these permanent base structures with user deployables could make for some intense and dynamic battles.

It would definitely provide depth to defensive play, but I think there should be a downside to using it. Assuming that turrets are a weapons platform like they were in Tribes (or that they're even implemented), maybe the field or whatever device is decided upon could just be attached to the turret, forcing the team/player to make a tactical decision based on what scenario they're in and whether or not they require the healing. I'd much prefer something like that tbh, instead of it just being another deployable to be thrown down.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
How will we know the boundaries of the bases? Will we have some force field around the base, a message saying "Entering your/enemy base", or a healing zone or two at each base?

I was thinking an unobtrusive visual cue would be a ring or highlight to your health bar as a signal you are within the regeneration field.

It would definitely provide depth to defensive play, but I think there should be a downside to using it. Assuming that turrets are a weapons platform like they were in Tribes (or that they're even implemented), maybe the field or whatever device is decided upon could just be attached to the turret, forcing the team/player to make a tactical decision based on what scenario they're in and whether or not they require the healing. I'd much prefer something like that tbh, instead of it just being another deployable to be thrown down.
That's a pretty good idea. Personally, I was thinking moreso alongside the lines of a permanent structure (non deployable), or the base generator itself providing this buff (within a limited radius around it).

Bleh, need to cut things short, wife's beckoning for her man!

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
*cough* ctrl k *cough*

Friendly base heals are pointless at the moment unless they heal you constantly, but that would make defense way too powerful in my opinion...

aus.hsp

Private Tester
Like a structure or object you can stand near to gain health... however I won't be disappointed if the health system stays the way it is :)
Health packs are a good idea but... :S still got a problem with it :p

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I, personally, liked the 'ground heal' method, where you had to stop flying and skiing in order to repair. It makes the player think a little more in advance of what they're going to do next, because it does waste momentum and time, and leaves you vulnerable, but you get health back, and that is balance. If somebody is recharging at the enemy base, then it is the fault of the defense to not go out and kick their butt while they are grounded, and then they can interrupt their health process. The one change I would look forward to is, as a greater incentive for returning the flag, allow players to recharge their health while they are holding the flag. I can see why some people would complain, but that adds a small amount of urgency into the recovery process, and gives the carrier a little more peace of mind right before that rocket comes crashing in.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
*cough* ctrl k *cough*

Friendly base heals are pointless at the moment unless they heal you constantly, but that would make defense way too powerful in my opinion...

I don't really see how friendly base heals would be pointless even with suicide being a quick option. Depending on the map design, the respawn location may be far from the flag stand, the offensive may be too constant in their barrage to safely suicide then re-grab the flag. I dunno, I see a lot of scenarios where self regeneration at base would be beneficial.

Serket

I really liked the system the way it was, having to be in the ground to be able to regen your health. Got a camper noob giving you a hard time? Kust go there and kick his ass, being a camper noob very often means he can't even get his movements or his shots right. If anything why not try the far cry 2 system? Divide the health bar in 4 or 5 parts, and if your health goes below one of the lines you can regen your health only to that line and if you want your entire health back you're forced to use a health kit. But this may be unbalancing the game because it recharges your full helath instanlty.
Just my thoughts.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I, personally, liked the 'ground heal' method, where you had to stop flying and skiing in order to repair. It makes the player think a little more in advance of what they're going to do next, because it does waste momentum and time, and leaves you vulnerable, but you get health back, and that is balance. If somebody is recharging at the enemy base, then it is the fault of the defense to not go out and kick their butt while they are grounded, and then they can interrupt their health process. The one change I would look forward to is, as a greater incentive for returning the flag, allow players to recharge their health while they are holding the flag. I can see why some people would complain, but that adds a small amount of urgency into the recovery process, and gives the carrier a little more peace of mind right before that rocket comes crashing in.

My concern about self repair when holding the flag is the added effectiveness this would bring to rabbit-ing the flag.

I really liked the system the way it was, having to be in the ground to be able to regen your health. Got a camper noob giving you a hard time? Kust go there and kick his ass, being a camper noob very often means he can't even get his movements or his shots right. If anything why not try the far cry 2 system? Divide the health bar in 4 or 5 parts, and if your health goes below one of the lines you can regen your health only to that line and if you want your entire health back you're forced to use a health kit. But this may be unbalancing the game because it recharges your full helath instanlty.

I like this idea, that there would be certain points, when after your life is depleted, it would not regenerate past certain intervals (ie: 75%, 50%, or 25%). This would make certain elements a little more forgiving (say a new player learning to ski for the first time and injuring themselves due to fall damage).

Serket

Oh no I'm by no means suggesting health regen while holding the flag, that's why I said I liked the old regen system, incluiding the fact that you can't regen if you're holding the flag. But yeah I didn't mention it so sorry for not being clear about that.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I can see why not to do self repair with the flag, but in PUBs when there's a serious lack in defense, which happened a lot. its nice to have a grip on the flag and regenerate. You could set the flag down and regen, but then then there's this orange streak that appears magically across your screen and then an explosion, and the flag is returned, and you barely survive the explosion to scream "WHY?" at the sky. And then the next rocket kills ya. That kind of situation is quite frustrating, and could be fairly easily fixed, imo.

Serket

I like this idea, that there would be certain points, when after your life is depleted, it would not regenerate past certain intervals (ie: 75%, 50%, or 25%). This would make certain elements a little more forgiving (say a new player learning to ski for the first time and injuring themselves due to fall damage).

Why thanks man, just trying to throw in some ideas to improve the game and make it more of a masterpiece than it already is. I think this system would make the health regen a bit more of a strategic aspect to the game, and it would make people more aware of having to be careful about how they manage their health. It would also make the health system more forgiving like you say, but people would need to be more aware than ever about their health levels and their max regen capacity at a given moment.
I can see why not to do self repair with the flag, but in PUBs when there's a serious lack in defense, which happened a lot. its nice to have a grip on the flag and regenerate. You could set the flag down and regen, but then then there's this orange streak that appears magically across your screen and then an explosion, and the flag is returned, and you barely survive the explosion to scream "WHY?" at the sky. And then the next rocket kills ya. That kind of situation is quite frustrating, and could be fairly easily fixed, imo.

Yes it might be frustrating but as a player you have to understand that being unable to regen while having the flag was a matter of balancing the game for the chasers, and possibly giving the defending team abit more possibility to retrieve the flag before it got captured. I do understand the point you're trying to make and why you feel it's important that it gets implemented, but I just can't see it happening because this limiter is in place to make the cappers think about how much health they need to be able to use overdrive or survive an enemy barrrage at a base an d be able to make it back to their own.

Got a camper noob giving you a hard time? Kust go there and kick his ass, being a camper noob very often means he can't even get his movements or his shots right

no offence but did u try playing HoF against good LO?

u cant go down and kill them u give up flag position same with the lightd...even with good players in lD they often took ages to kill a sneaky camper..specially ifthe camper was hell skilled...i used to get this all the time, people would spend the entire map hassling me with impunity...only an old dog like me would bother playing hoF in such conditions

giving them health recharge makes base camping too easy

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Health packs would probably be something that you would just run over and heal a set amount of health, while not doing anything if you're already full up on health. They could be in the bases and sniper towers (before you complain about sniper towers having health, if a sniper holes up in one, its really easy to get them out) on the smaller maps and on larger maps, like Blade Run, you can have there be health packs in the various ruins and also the bases. I think that health packs should be able to be used by flag carriers, but only heal them up to 50 or 75%

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Traditionally, you get your healthpack(s) at inventory stations/base assets or from dead enemies, and activate them by pressing a key. For the exact way in which that will be implemented in Leejunz, we might have to wait for the actual testing. ;)

Serket

no offence but did u try playing HoF against good LO?

u cant go down and kill them u give up flag position same with the lightd...even with good players in lD they often took ages to kill a sneaky camper..specially ifthe camper was hell skilled...i used to get this all the time, people would spend the entire map hassling me with impunity...only an old dog like me would bother playing hoF in such conditions

giving them health recharge makes base camping too easy

None taken and good points here. I forgot that in some maps campers can get really annoying, especially if they're snipers, cause even if you kill them they just come back and do the exact same annoying stuff.
But can you please tell me what HoF and LO stand for?

Heavy on Flag, Light Offense.
Your HoF is the one guarding the flag from cappers, you're LO are distracters and emergency grabbers. It's they're job to make sure the HoF is either dead, or looking the other way when a capper comes through.
It's basically the LO's job to make the HoF's life a misery