Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacil

Funnily enough, people died so that idiots like me are able to debate controversial stuff like this. And controversial it is indeed. Grow a pair.

There's lots to talk and think about holidays like this one, no matter if said holiday is celebrated in the US or elsewhere. If you don't want to talk about it, don't post about it in an international gaming forum that's labelled "other discussion". ;)
EDIT: mhm....mhm :rolleyes: :X

Application-1

test bester
turnbacktimep1.gif

anak

VIP
memorial day isn't global coffee. i was talking about people in the american military. dont change the subject.

Outlawl

Macabre
Code:
[14:34] <@Gheist> do you like kicking yourself in the nose? ,)
[14:34] <@Gheist> http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/memorial-day.2347/page-2#post-42268
[14:34] <anaklu> i just wanted to start a fight

anak

VIP
do not jump to conclusions on the internet. i neither know nor want to know what kind of messy wars europe has gotten itself into. coffee decided to bring up a situation that would've proven my post false, had this not been a thread about USA's memorial day. so i corrected him.

please stop trying to be clever, all of you. you're just making assholes of yourselves. we don't make jokes out of your dead ancestors, and we expect you to show us the same courtesy.
inb4 all euros scour irc chatlogs for signs of ancestor jokes

Gheist

King of all Goblins
I don't make jokes about dead people (at least not now), nor about fallen ancestors. I'm just saying that combining nationalism with stuff like this might not be the best idea. Heartsong's link is really worth a read in this regard.

Edit: Oh and please, please, please: Don't think that I'm saying this because I'm butthurt about past or present US-Germany conflicts, or about how "my ancestors" are dealt with in general etc. This is nothing personal, just a general gripe with holidays like this (no matter where they're celebrated), especially when they get combined with silly unnecessary nationalism.

Heartsong

do not jump to conclusions on the internet. i neither know nor want to know what kind of messy wars europe has gotten itself into. coffee decided to bring up a situation that would've proven my post false, had this not been a thread about USA's memorial day. so i corrected him.

please stop trying to be clever, all of you. you're just making assholes of yourselves. we don't make jokes out of your dead ancestors, and we expect you to show us the same courtesy.
inb4 all euros scour irc chatlogs for signs of ancestor jokes

Nazi Zombies are among the most prolific and widely accepted "it's okay to kill them" enemies in video gaming history.

That is literally a joke at the expense of their dead ancestors.

OmniNept

Actionaut
The public perceives soldiers as unadulterated heroes, and removes from them responsibility. They don't choose who they're fighting. They're giving their lives for our freedoms. They're beyond reproach. At least that's how they're perceived until a particular war falls from public favour.

The reality is that these people have made their choice: they made it when they enlisted in their nation's military, and they make it again each time they're involved in an operation. As difficult as it is to accept, and as dire as the consequences of insubordination may be, soldiers are responsible for their actions.

You ascribe to them courage and selflessness, qualities that necessarily entail free will and choice. Yet, confronted with negative attributions, you shield them by stating that they have no recourse – that they are victims of circumstance, thrown about by political machinations.

Then they are not brave.

Then they are merely mindless tools.

And of course, that is not what they are; but neither are they free from reproach. It's interesting that for all their inculcation and training, their repetition and routine, and their chain of command – all of which are designed to distance them from a sense of personal responsibility – many soldiers feel the full weight of their choices.

Supposedly, we spend these days remembering our soldiers and their sacrifices. In reality, we drink beer, attend barbeques, light fireworks, and engage in nationalism. And we keep killing.

Maybe you should think about what you're supposedly celebrating. Maybe these days would be better spent understanding your wars, your people, your world, and your enemies. Ignorance of such topics is bad enough, but a deliberate refusal to take them into consideration? That's pathetic; and it's the reason half these blasted wars begin.

But hey, spouting patriotic poems is a great contribution too.

Dacil

why the *dance* can't we simply celebrate our men and women in the forces who survived the *chocolate cookies* they've been through and made it out alive and HONOR those who did NOT make it out of that *chocolate cookies*....got it? good.

Dacil

Because celebration without thought and understanding leads to insular, ignorant attitudes. And that leads to further conflict.
HAHAH so celebrating the fact that people made it out of war and are alive is ignorant? **

i think nept leads to further unnecessary conflict hahah **

Status
Not open for further replies.