Legions release campaign: MJ needs your help!

Well 30secs was kinda too short but you get the idea. This is the promo vid they made for warsow 0.5 and it kinda shows my point. It's not about cool shots but about what the game is. Movement, game mods etc, you have to include everything that game is not just some awesome stuff you would put in some skill montage.
Agreed. I think it's better to show what the game really is, rather than just show of your skills.

MJ1284

Was gonna reply in depth to each of your suggestions Daphinicus, but I lost track on the quote tags.. ah well, in short:

1. - 3.
Framerate & resolution differences will get fixed soon as I get to record footage.

While I like the glow transition I think that using it after each clip gets tad too repetetive, I'd like to use some other transition after displaying "Freedom of Movement returns" (obviously blur isn't the best choice).

Again, this will get fixed once I start recording. Shouldn't be too hard to record a duel clip from cameraman perspective, flag passes are a different story (I might go for still camera angle on flag grab/pass anyway, shaky cam doesn't look good)... if all else fails, I can always use zoom effects to adjust the viewing distance.

Exellent idea. Animated logo would look even sweeter, but having transition before & after the logo makes it look animated.

P.S. Updated the OP, hope everyone's happy now.

w00tyou

Exellent idea. Animated logo would look even sweeter, but having transition before & after the logo makes it look animated.
P.S. Updated the OP, hope everyone's happy now.
Velocity is capable of animating and creating logos in maya and or 3ds. I'm new to it, but velocity is the only person i know who can do that. If you could find someone who can animate well you can make professional looking text.

A2

ATM, I'm making a animated title for any future un-official trailers. And yes, I'm horrible at After Effects, so if it isn't that good, don't hate me. :S

57thEnryu

Yah, I'm not at my college now, which is the only place I have Adobe Suites (except I have Illustrator on my home pc), so I cant really do much right now...I'll do all I can from Illustrator right now

The second concept is slightly better than the first concept. The only thing I actually miss is a sort of a climax to actually grab to attention.

MJ1284

I'm horrible at it. I gave it a shot though, and it ended up something like this: http://www.vimeo.com/17518856

I like it simple.

I like it sweet and simple, and this is exactly that.
The tough part is, how the heck am I supposed to sync that to a music I haven't picked yet? But that's not really an important issue right now, not until I start making the actual trailer itself.

A2

You have a point there MJ. But I don't think we need to worry about that now. Maybe after you select the music that you like, it might very well fit in, or if not, we can always make some adjustments. Just let me know if you've selected something.

For people who like to spend money on programs, I like to suggest Sony Vegas 8. It's a program with a lot of options, it's quite easy to learn,...
When legions is back and running, i'll probably try to make a video.

MJ1284

Trailer Concept 3 uploaded, but is still being processed. Link Embedded video in OP.
ME SO SORRY FOR SHODDY VIDEO QUALITY!

EDIT: *Two hours later* Processed! Bloody time I say.

apatriot1776

The most recent trailer was pretty good... My only complaint with it is the music. This is just nit-picking, but perhaps something more heavy metal or hard rock-like would be more appropriate for an FPS. Just my personal preference.

Also, already mentioned was to use 57th A2's titles. Other than those, it's pretty much perfect.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
It's definitely moving in the right direction, MJ!

For my part, I'm more of a fan of the second trailer's music; it evoked the feel of an epic story, a hero's journey into unknown territory, and while it may not have been perfect -- I was hoping for it to shift into rock or electronica halfway through -- it still spoke of honor and combat and endless trials. The third trailer's music, on the other hand, feels more like the battle music from an Asian RPG. It's rather unfocused, with much less building of momentum over time, detracting from the trailer's overall cinematic feel.

I'd definitely use A2' titles (or something similar) at the end of the piece. Props on those titles, A2!

Keep up the hard work, bud,

- Daph

I'd personally like to see a 45-1:00 long trailer, and an extended trailer that could be 3 minutes or so. If people watch the trailer and then the extended, you know they're interested.