Leaving for college tommorow and nervous, Any advice?

Propkid

Be happy that you aren't forced into taking a gap year like me :p. It's better go to HS or college than to go nowhere for a year...

MJ1284

It's not overly difficult to make friends on college/university, long as you seem easy going/laidback person and have some sense of humor you'll make friends easily. If you're bit on shy side, tag along some small group and listen what they're talking about & jump in if you think they seem fine lads.

It ain't no rocket science mate, don't think too hard on how others think about you and act casual around classmates. That'll get you far.

Application-1

test bester
3 days, 3 houres of sleep and a lot of beer. That sums up my first 3 days in college/uni. And if you do not like that stuff then there will always be more people who unfortunately imo think the same way.

curser656

So adventure has begun, and now I've gone to the orientation session today. I was quiet and didn't really do much. I want to kill all my classmates because they are all retarded. But a girl said hi to me today and we talked about what program we were doing. So it could have been worse.... At least now I have an aspiration to rule the school student council with my one friend (who I don't see at all because he's in a totally different wing).

57thRomance

Hey man, I moved into college last Saturday, and I was a little nervous and scared like you are about the thought of leaving my parents and doing things on my own. Just remember that you're not alone. I guarantee you'll come across at least one other person in your class who has the same interests as you. How to find this person/these people? There are many ways...

1.) Look for people who have the same classes as you do (or even better, the same major(s) as you do). This is how study groups are formed, which can be useful for acing exams, especially on the college level.

2.) Like others have said, join clubs! They don't have to be sports at all; just get involved in events that pique your interest. Most likely, the leaders of these clubs are fun and inviting. In college, you'll have much more time to do this than you did in high school, so take advantage of the time you have.

3.) Get to know your roommate(s) and other people in your building. If you haven't started already, use a social networking site like Facebook to find these people. You might end up having more in common with your inmates than you once thought.

4.) Don't EVER sit by yourself in the common eatery of your college. Sit with people who look inviting and don't be afraid to introduce yourself and jump into conversations in which you have something to say. And anything that you do will only be awkward if you make it awkward ;)

5.) Sell yourself to other people. If you have a hidden talent, show that you have the confidence and ego to do it in front of people you've never met before. A couple nights ago, I got bored, so I took my ukelele to a main plaza just outside of my dorm and played. I got many compliments and even a couple offers to play in jam sessions and gigs with others in my class.

6.) Just be yourself. The people who like you for who you are will be your best friends throughout your four years of undergrad college and possibly even for your life.

Trust me; you'll get used to college and discover how great it really is. I haven't even been in college for one week, and I can tell you that I'm having a blast. One last bit of advice I have to give is to be smart about everything you do. More freedom means more responsibility for your actions, your body, and your career. I wish you the best of luck these four years!

P.S. Btw, where are you attending college?

curser656

More freedom means more responsibility for your actions, your body, and your career. I wish you the best of luck these four years!

P.S. Btw, where are you attending college?
Lol that made me feel uncomfortable. I don't drink/smoke/do heroine?
And I'm going to Guelph Humber. But I see you're American... and I'm in a Canadian college, you probably don't even know about it.

That sounded hipstery and annoying...
Thanks for the advice though

Edit: LOL propkid

Dacil

nah human interaction is key...forgot to mention it's WHO you know more than what you know...so make sure you network

Freeman

RAYTANG
from what i remember, Guelph has an awesome campus. Meet new people, get involved, talk to the people in your class. I know that their might be a lot of older people in your classes, if that makes you uncomfortable, try to find the people who are around your age. You'll find plenty of them in the university next to you!

U8er

Good luck to you man, I know how you feel. While I haven't attended college yet due to lack of funds, I moved to a new high school every year for 4 years, and it was hell to make new friends every year at that age. Just be yourself and you'll eventually bump into other people with the same interests.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Good luck to you man, I know how you feel. While I haven't attended college yet due to lack of funds, I moved to a new high school every year for 4 years, and it was hell to make new friends every year at that age. Just be yourself and you'll eventually bump into other people with the same interests.
No osap?

Siantlark

Also, Be responsible. The Freshman dropout rate for colleges is through the roof because most people don't know how to manage their time, or act when no one is there to guide them. If you do that along with what everyone is saying you'll be fine.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Protip: You have three choices -
Have a good social life and get bad grades since you're too busy partying and wasted to do anything
Have good grades and have no social life at all
Or have a moderate social life with pretty good grades.

Tips:
Do all your homework ASAP since the information you learned in class will still be around in your brain and you'll get it done faster without having to look through the books and you'll feel like a genius for remembering it. Then you'll see that question on that test and remember " OH YEH I REMEMBER WHEN I REMEMBERED DIS WHEN I DID MY HOMEOWRK" and you'll get A's.

Take simple notes. Only write down summaries, key points, things your teachers talk about etc, if your teacher doesn't talk about it at all, it probably won't be on the test but make sure you are familiar with it so your teacher doesn't pull a move on you. DO NOT USE HIGHLIGHTERS AND UNDERLINING STUFF WITH BOLD AND CRAP, THAT DOES NOT WORK, AT ALL. The best thing you can do is write neat notes and the night before, study for an hour, quiz your self, use a flash card program online that quizzes you like 5 different ways. Study each class for 30 minutes, go ahead a page or two so you'll feel like a genius is class when you get called on, significant events burn a hole in your mind and during the test you will remember feeling awesome. The night before a test, study for 60 minutes, if you are still unsure, write your notes out. DO NOT CRAM OR YOU WILL FAIL HARD. Go to bed early and get 10 hours of sleep.

Eat a bananna whilst studying and in the morning, the potassium is good for your brain. Eat whole grain cereals or eggs for breakfast, this will give you energy. Make sure you drink TONS of water. The reason why most people are tired in class even though they got enough sleep is because they aren't drinking enough water. Cells need water to perform crap, without water they can't do that stuff and make you tired. Divide your weight by two and that's the amount of OZ you should try to drink a day. Do not force the water down either or you will die.

For dinner, get cases of instant ramen and eat that stuff. I prefer not using the packets since they are literally salt and it's not healthy for you. Experiment with it, use different spices and stuff. Add an egg, some vegetables, and whatever spice you want. I like to add cumun / curry powder / ground red chili and taco seasoning and it tastes pretty awesome. I've had cinamon in it, tomato sauce, old bay, cheese, lemon and pepper, peppers etc, it's all pretty good so switch it up. You'll be suprised. If you don't like ramen, buy a sack of rice for about 20 dollars, make sure it's the good kind and add butter or anything you want. Be creative.

More to come!

curser656

Oh god let's answer all of these replies in one post shall we.

Yea rain the girl was hot, but seemed like a stereotypical...*lady friend*? Idk I just talked to her about the cult leader that is the student council president. And our courses. No big deal.

Sorry romance blame gheist.

Freeman you went to Guelph? All my classmates are stubborn spoiled rich kids who I'm going to murder someday, no old people.

Tbh I don't know how to study. I've never studied. I don't know wtf studying is, I just know stereotypically it's reading your textbook?

In grade twelve I got 87 in math after never doing homework EVER, writing any notes, and even decided not to write a test.

I got a 97 in web design for doing....things last minute and yet better than everyone else.

90 in programming, which I zombied through.

85 in film which I found easy.

Ive never..studied.... Or done homework.....help...I mean what the *dance* is studying I don't know how to.

I sound like a douche but,how do I study...just..read?

But speaking of ramen....why?....I mean noob question I guess but why is ramen associated with college so much?...

Thanks so much for all the advice, but there's something I'd like to add.

When I think about starting off here, actually becoming a college student, I feel like. My life is over....I don't want to go..

Am I insane?

Freeman

RAYTANG
damn, your grades are pretty solid. Was it a personal choice to go to college? I'm sure you could have gotten into a program at laurier or even guelph university with those marks.

and no, i went for a campus tour. im going to queens next year in kingston :p