Leaving for college tommorow and nervous, Any advice?

curser656

I realize this is kind of a stupid place to post this, but it seems the people here are pretty nice so might as well.

I'm nervous, I really don't want to leave high school. And as much of a baby that makes me sound like, I really can't put it any other way. Wtf, seriously, Wtf. Like, I really can't wrap my mind around it. I know no one going to my college, I'm terrible at meeting people and I'm a pretty quiet person. Any advice would be great...

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
There are a lot of people going into college, myself included. :D I personally can't wait. Although I don't really make a giant amount friends, finding the ones that share the same interests is always revealing. Try joining clubs, activities, or sports in order to find some friends. I find it easier to talk to people that are like me. Hope that helps a little bit. Good luck with your studies!

GROUCH

Well its almost time for me to go back to high school and i also have the same problem at meeting new people. :(

It always starts a day before i go back to school, i start getting really nervous for no reason my solution is just to tire myself out during the day so i can easily fall asleep and deal with later

My advice to you would be to have a postie attitude to everyone you see; if someone sees you then smile but don't smile like if you were laughing at them.

curser656

Colleges have clubs? That's news to me.. I didn't join a club during high school, and I'm terrible at sports...and I can't FKIN sleep because I feel like I'm going to throw up, oh and I don't smile much...I think I'd look creepy...

College > High School. College is the place for meeting people with similar interests. Sophomore year for me and I've found 5 great friends who all enjoy gaming and having a good time like me to room with (we have a 6 person suite).

Colleges have clubs? That's news to me.. I didn't join a club during high school, and I'm terrible at sports...and I can't FKIN sleep because I feel like I'm going to throw up, oh and I don't smile much...I think I'd look creepy...

My college has over 400 clubs (literally). Anything from gaming clubs, fencing, anime, ping pong, juggling, to chess. It also has 30000 undergrads, but that's besides the point. I'm sure the college you're going to will be loaded with clubs too.

curser656

Ok um...I guess you might have notic from...my avatars but, I do like anime, but I might knock the living *dance* out of the stereotypical otaku I find in the anime club....would there be something like a film club..?

I mean does that exist anywhere, I realize it would differ..

RainPilot

stinky bear
having a good time
Don't forget long walks on beaches, holding hands, romance etc!

Also, if you're going BACK to highschool just stick with the friends you had the year before, unless you're a loner, if you are, just act as weird as you can and show up with a gun one day.

brotip: Join a sport, it's a good way to meet new people, when my old highschool shut down and I had to transfer, I rejoined crew and since it was a pretty big team, I made friends with a lot of people from all grades. If you have nothing to talk about with them, talk about crew or said sport.

curser656

Don't forget long walks on beaches, holding hands, romance etc!

Also, if you're going BACK to highschool just stick with the friends you had the year before, unless you're a loner, if you are, just act as weird as you can and show up with a gun one day.

brotip: Join a sport, it's a good way to meet new people, when my old highschool shut down and I had to transfer, I rejoined crew and since it was a pretty big team, I made friends with a lot of people from all grades. If you have nothing to talk about with them, talk about crew or said sport.
K this definitely did NOT make me feel better. And I suck balls at sports...the only thing I was ever good at was hockey in a goalie position, but I'm sure there's lots of better goalies there....also wtf is crew.

RainPilot

stinky bear
K this definitely did NOT make me feel better. And I suck balls at sports...the only thing I was ever good at was hockey in a goalie position, but I'm sure there's lots of better goalies there....also wtf is crew.
Basically a sport where you sit in a boat and push the water down the river -- it's mostly arms and pretty easy to learn.

Then go to your school gym and lift some weights, you'll make some friends and lose some pounds. School friends aren't important because you only really talk to them during and lunch and chit-chat in school, finding friends that you can hang out with out of school are the best friends or else you'll find yourself a lonely mess playing legions and pretending people on teamspeak are your friends.

curser656

Interesting example...but yes, that's true... I don't really want to get attached to people because the day I graduate I'm leaving this country, you said they'll be like your best friends..so..yea..I have one good friend from high school that's going to also move to the same place as me, that's why I think it makes sense for us to be good friends...eh..I guess.. What are some good, not sport related clubs?

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Be personable, go to parties and stuff! Be social! Make your good friends, your friends and your acquaintances, that way you always have someone to do stuff with.

Abandoned

Be yourself!

The MOST important thing to do when you're starting out in a new place. Just doing this will bring you together with the people who share the same interests with you.

curser656

What if people hate me? That's actually a very big worry for me right now. 3:30 am here, leaving at 8 am. I can't sleep..

RainPilot

stinky bear
Always be cool and collective, keep a smile on your face, do some manscaping, don't be a weirdo and only say things that need to be said. If you have a good joke, say it, if you're not sure, don't. Don't make fun of people.

It's sort of like bootcamp, they yell at you and make you hate them so that you and your buddies have something in common -- you all hate the drill sergeant and it brings you together as a team who puts aside difference and creates maximum efficiency.

With that said, make fun of the teachers or someone, don't make fun of another kid though. Don't be a follower, be a leader etc

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Being a follower isn't always a bad thing, but if you want to do something, advocate for yourself. Colleges are big, so I have confidence you'll do well. Colleges aren't full of little kids, so it will be really hard to get a lot of people to hate you. Just don't do something horribly wrong. :p I bet a lot of people have the same worries as you and are in the same place as you. They all want to make friends (except the antisocial <.<), so you're in the same boat(crew 4lyfe!!).

Dacil

Being a follower isn't always a bad thing, but if you want to do something, advocate for yourself. .
i agree and this goes for a lot of things...there's plenty of followers out there, so if you think against a crowd, don't be afraid to stick with your feelings about it

all i can say is be yourself and keep studies first since no matter what they'll benefit you...others here have given pretty good advice....I can't help as much as them since I did not/do not share your fears or concerns, but good luck with your studies!

Redvan

Private Tester
College is so much better than HS there's no reason to be nervous. If you know how to manage your time on your own (no teachers to hold you hand), you'll do fine.

If you don't know what you want to major in, don't worry, it'll probably change anyway. Get the core classes out of the way, and if you still don't know, take a year off. You can save a ton of money if you take a year off when you don't know what direction you want to go.

Every semester I always made an Excel spreadsheet with my schedule, put the class name and building/room # on it, and carried a campus map with me. Never got lost. Never had to worry about running circles around a building trying to find where to go.

Do extra curricular activities. Helps you make friends, fill up some of the free time you'll have, etc... Not to mention, can look good on resumes if you did more than just go to class while in college.