Increase in Maneuverability and Player Cores

Redvan

Private Tester
last time i checked this thread was about maneuverability and player cores not comparing tribes with L:O

We are discussing maneuverability, as such, Tribes will probably be mentioned.

Tribes and L:O are different games if you like to play Tribes play it and if you like to play L:O play it
why do you want to combine Tribes in L:O :confused:???

Er, nobody is trying to combine Tribes with L:O... We already went over this with RockyRex

Calimo

YES! I would love to see a maneuverability core.

I remember back when I first started playing Legions.. before that patch that got rid of hotswapping hit(which im cool with! I hated hotswapping.. even tho I did it >_> ) Legions was extremely less floaty, and when those physics were changed, I almost quit.

That floaty feeling has made the game way more predictable. I'm sure there are reasons why it was changed. But, I don't really care. I lost a lot of love for this game when the physics were altered. It really took a good edge off of the game that was to me, amazing. So again, this maneuverability core would be an outstanding addition.

ALSO! To contribute to this Legions vs Tribes Deathmatch of which is harder/easier. I want to throw my hat into the ring and say...
-Legions is harder when it comes to combat (aiming, quick tactics that must be pulled off almost flawlessly) BUT
-Tribes is a tougher game as a whole. (Working as a team, the bigger strategies that were involved to pull off a win)
BUT AGAIN, THIS IS BETA! :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGTmv-Swz50&feature=related)

To me, it doesn't matter if legions combat is harder... when you're trying to take down generators in Katabatic to cripple the enemy team to get easier caps in and there are two heavies and a medium guarding the generators with motion sensors, turrets, plasma at the ready........... and mortars.... .... oh mortars.. :mad: How I've never been able to like the color green since...

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] before that patch that got rid of hotswapping hit [...] Legions was extremely less floaty, and when those physics were changed, I almost quit. [...]
What are you talking about here? The only major physics tweak around that time never made it into the game, just into the time-trials on PlayLegions.

OmniNept

Actionaut
Gheist said:
What are you talking about here? The only major physics tweak around that time never made it into the game, just into the time-trials on PlayLegions.
There have been two major physics changes since I've seen Legions. I say seen because the first such change occurred way back before release (I got into an early beta or alpha) when they nerfed lateral maneuverability. At the time, I couldn't convince the Omni WoW addicts to shift games, so I didn't play often. The second change happened well afterwards, when non-jetting air control was removed/massively nerfed. Neither change was needed, imo, and both were in the wrong direction.

This community has often mistaken ineptitude for impossibility.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
There have been changes, don't get me wrong. Especially in the beginning. But not around the time that Calimo mentioned. That's why I'm asking.

Buhlitz

I actually some what enjoyed the incredibly hard to gain speed physics of 1.0 , it was very challenging.

Calimo

Hm, it may not have been physics then or at the time I said (honestly I don't technically know what changed. I should probably not act like I do :X)
But, I do recall a time where I did have better control of my jets. (And I don't believe I was just dreaming of better control over them.. even though that would be a GREAT dream.)

I started playing early-mid November 2008... something did change with jets after I joined... or I'm crazy. Either answer is equally acceptable. EITHER WAY! I lost something apparently! either my jets or brain :confused:

I think he's talking about fall damage....
I'm not talking about fall damage. It was something with the jets, fosho.

Siantlark

Yeah that was when they added fall damage took out some of the loadouts added in new ones nerfed the sniper changed some other things and took out the team colors.

WHY THE TEAM COLORS!?!?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Yeah that was when they added fall damage took out some of the loadouts added in new ones nerfed the sniper changed some other things and took out the team colors.

WHY THE TEAM COLORS!?!?
Because newbs couldn't figure out what team they were on and kept TKing. A universal color indicator for enemies and friendlies is far easier to use in a fast paced game, as some of you might recall accidentally shooting a teammate in a chaotic moment long ago when you didn't see their IFF fast enough. It still is red vs blue, just you are always blue and they are always red. :)

skypredator

Sniper Core = <33333

All in all, I saw some great ideas in there. Freedom of movement should allow freedom of versatility types. Siant, I used to TK because, as G said, I had no idea who was friend or foe. In a game like legions with the old IFF, suppose you got a long distance MA on a capper. You were all like "YESS! Awesomeness!!!", then you found out that it was your team mate about to score the tie-breaker cap for the game?

Propkid

There have been changes, don't get me wrong. Especially in the beginning. But not around the time that Calimo mentioned. That's why I'm asking.
I've had this told to me a bazillion of times, but it really feels way different now than it used to. Back in the IA pre-hotswap nerf days I used to play around with some players by duelling with them and not shooting at all- solely 'dodging' all of their rockets until they ran out of ammo (I remember doing it to doomofneroflame once :D). Now it's quite impossible, even with a newblood. I also get MAs in my face way more often. The game does feel a bit more 'floaty' than back then, but IMO that way it's better.

I started playing early-mid November 2008... something did change with jets after I joined... or I'm crazy
I think we all are crazy. Every night when I was going to sleep for the first month of playing Fallen Empire: Legions I used to still hear the jet-sounds of my skiing Outrider. Couldn't sleep.

TheWimp

More maneuverable than we are now is going to ruin the new bloods and make general warfare be even more ping dependant and chain hores. Less maneuverablity will be instarape for whoever doesn't use it.
dodge core sounds just like IOD for other classes, but sounds better than more air control, but i dont like the idea of something spammy that is a crutch for actual dodging by guessing where your enemy will shoot.

Deskari

I would like to suggest the SeymourCore. It's only utilized by sentinels as it provides a thick, but nicely cushioned gut for blocking, and a bald head for aerodynamics. There is also a mighty beard to catch Cheetohs and poutine with.

Redvan

Private Tester
More maneuverable than we are now is going to ruin the new bloods
"New bloods" are already "ruined". Natrually, with the extra degrees of movement L:O has, it will be harder to get a hang of than your average COD.

and make general warfare be even more ping dependant and chain hores.
It wont have much if any effect with ping so long as you're within the standard "descent" ping range (up to 130ish). Any above that, there's no reason to worry about what effect the high pingers will feel (sorry HPBs, gotta balance for the lower realm of pings). As for chain *lady friends*, it'll make chain whoring harder because rather than the little "dodges" we are capable of now, they'd be able to move significantly more, thus they wont be getting hit by the bullets the would normally have been hit by.

Less (I think you mean more here?) maneuverablity will be instarape for whoever doesn't use it.
Not really, because just like everyone else, they still need to be able to hit their targets to win. It will add another level of skill to learn in knowing when to use it (since it would probably include a cool down timer of some sort, and/or use energy). If someone is terribad with aim, but can maneuver well, I have no doubt someone with good aim and less maneuverability will win. If someone is good with aim and maneuvering, then good for them! That's the goal.

dodge core sounds just like IOD for other classes, but sounds better than more air control, but i dont like the idea of something spammy that is a crutch for actual dodging by guessing where your enemy will shoot.
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here... but it sounds like you are worried a "dodge core" would be spammy and allow people to avoid getting hit all the time. That's not the case. A dodge core, as I said before, would have a cool down/energy use restriction. Of course, that would have to be decided upon if this core were ever implemented.