How to mitigate llamaing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I feel like weighing in, but I am basically going to ramble...

There are a lot of problems with capping right now, from an offense and defensive point of view (infinite IFFs, llamas, OD front routes, etc.) The IFF issue is apparently being fixed so I won't go into that. Llamas will always be a part of the game, and are sometimes an important part (egrabs), but good defenses seem to counter it pretty well so I wont go into that. The front OD routes are my main issue with the game currently.

In a game like tribes, fast and sneaky routes were a must. running front routes was either prevented by base assets, or required the capper to go behind the base with the flag and use the terrain to turn around, making the return take much longer than a side or back cap. sure you had exceptions, like beacon jumping and grenade jumps, but those took quite a bit of precision and skill to pull off.

generally speaking, the point of running routes is to maximize the potential to cap. Side routes are much faster (and after the IFFs are fixed, also sneakier) meaning that if you do grab you have a much higher chance of making it home to your base than with a slow route. they are harder to chase, harder to snipe, and generally have faster return routes to your flag. It's a given that side routes generally take about twice as long to get to the flag and they require teamwork and timing as well, but in legions what are the benefits?

The problem in legions is the addition of OD and the map design. I think OD has some great aspects, like OD blocking in the field or when people use it on gorge or core to run routes through the bases, but every map seems to promote the idea of a wide open flag stand and big bowls right in between the bases that make OD front routes a must. The current maps/bases combined with OD just make the game so linear. With the addition of OD, spamming front routes has basically become the only viable strategy. why waste twice as much time and require a few people to play LO, when you can just send your whole offense on chain front caps where there really isn't any downside. Sure they are easy to see coming, sure OD hurts the capper, but no defense is going to be able to hold up to 4 competent OD cappers forever. Even if they grab and die, the flag is always on the same basic linear path, so the next capper can get a pickup or force a return without deviating off their route. Not to mention, with 3 or 4 cappers there will be a capper coming in every few seconds. It's a matter of quantity vs. quality and without the hard limitations present in tribes.

I know its sort of just bitching, but I really liked the fact that in tribes the offense had to coordinate and even grabbing the flag was a big deal. capouts were much more rare than they are in legions, often games were 1-0 or 2-1. standoffs (without turtling) really didn't happen that often relatively speaking. It seems like grabbing the flag in legions is altogether too easy, and capping most of the time comes at the end of a standoff. its all chaos instead of timing and teamwork.

I would love to see bases and maps that made front OD spam next to impossible and make OD more of a niche move (something tricky or used to block people). I would love to see the action get spread out more across the map. Longer returns means more time to chase/cutoff a capper (i know i hate double rocket jumping on zenith and barely being able to catch a relatively average speed OD capper before theyre at their base). I would love to see the flag become more of a choke point where offenses really have to work together to clear everything out for a capper to grab.

Anyway, tldr; i know...flame away.

Disci

Old man
And that post will get ignored by majority of the people in here just because it's too long to read. :( What a shame! Good stuff, phan, and I agree totaly.

Jack

The obvious solution is instant-kill for anyone who grabs at under 100 m/s, and any defender in the area should get a free OD that doesn't use up hp or energy.

57thRomance

The problem in legions is the addition of OD and the map design. I think OD has some great aspects, like OD blocking in the field or when people use it on gorge or core to run routes through the bases, but every map seems to promote the idea of a wide open flag stand and big bowls right in between the bases that make OD front routes a must. The current maps/bases combined with OD just make the game so linear.
Now that you mention it, all the stages are basically bowls. Let's have a big mound in the middle of an upcoming stage and see what happens XD
On a more serious note, I applaud your rant. Good ideas.

Not sure what else to say other than let's hope for the best in the future. A lot of people said what was on my mind.

MJ1284

Gorge has a mound in the middle (as did Quarry, mind you) and people don't exactly love those two maps :)

On topic, I agree with phan that getting the flag off the stand should be bigger deal, currently it's all FRONT OD, FRONT OD -spam on most maps (I'm starting to see why people scoff Nivo & Moonshine, bad flagstand location & overall bad base design).. Tribes 1 flagstands could work, I can imagine people using OD to maneuver on Rollercoaster & Dangerous Crossing (and why not Stonehenge) in most creative ways assuming there's no obvious "Here's a huge ass bowl, get your speed from 0 to 200 in five seconds!" right next to stand. Besides the fact that it's far easier to pick up speed in Legions the maps were also noticetably bigger in Tribes, which in turn made llamaing even further inconvenient.

Biggest flaw with most old maps is that they were designed & published back when game physics were radically different (as seen in Bulithz's capping video "Velocity"), over time physics changed but map slopes remained widely unaltered.

phanakapan

Private Tester
while quarry and gorge and even frost have mounds in the middle, they are still basically just 2 big bowls with a mound in the middle. The maps like zenith and blade run arent just huge bowls, but the flags are wide open for front llamas(and in the case of zenith, the terrain makes it easy to 2 touch home, while bladerun just had terrible terrain in general ie large completely flat areas). I think the game would play a lot different if the bases were essentially closed from front caps, and the terrain was varied in ways that made starting a chase route possible from somewhere slightly away from the stand but not as easy from the stand itself (fixing a lot of the llama issue). most maps in tribes for example, the defense was split between home d and chasers like it is now, but they were also physically separated by the terrain. you would typically have a hof and maybe one LD on the stand, but the other chasers would basically be out front or on hills where they could both start chase routes and camp incoming cap routes.

Think raindance for example: LD was on the hills on each side of the base, sometimes quite far away, the terrain made llamaing pretty much impossible, both because it was all uphill from the stand requiring maxing out your jets to even reach alright hills, or you could use the one tiny ramp on the base to llama, but that ramp was visible from the stand and small, so basically any llama had one option that was easy to spam as they tried to use it. capping on raindance against a good d was damned hard as it should be, and front capping or llamaing was next to impossible.

in legions, every map has 360 degrees of bowls to drop into for a llama, most of which are out of sight of the stand. most stands allow cappers from 360 degrees. most terrain is basically one or two giant bowls and bases are relatively close together. chasing is hard for a lot of reasons, but when most return routes take less than 10 seconds because of how close the bases are, and llamas can hit one bowl and basically one or two touch home, it's a problem.

If I remember right, basically the absolute fastest return on raindance, save scout jumping or mortar jumping or something equally gimicky, was 14 seconds, and you had to come in exposed from a very specific angle, easy to snipe, easy to BB, hard to clear the hof, etc. most returns were more like 20 seconds, giving much more time for chasing.

again rambling, just more thoughts.

phanakapan

Private Tester
just to add, i think the base on niv and moonshine is actually kind of neat, but it needs a few changes. if the base was sunk into the ground to where the two front chutes were just above the ground, and the chutes through the bottom were shortened to the same level, and the base was given a roof at the level of the lip, it would be awesome. Think about it, you now have to do routes either through the front chutes or through one of four relatively small openings. no more easy over the wall front caps, no more insane drop caps. defenses can basically focus on a few key entrances and offenses will need to coordinate. Overdrive caps would require quite a bit more skill since they would either need to use tiny chutes or one of 4 other openings which are easy to guard. being lower to the ground would also mean llamas, if they did happen, would have to fly up first before being able to really gain any speed, exposing them to a lot more chain.

RiPTaCk

The skill and coordination, that you all desire so much , can not be acquired just by changing the gameplay so that good players can enlarge their skill level farther from the "noobs" but first of all the game should have the goal to increase the community continuously.

Disci

Old man
The skill and coordination, that you all desire so much , can not be acquired just by changing the gameplay so that good players can enlarge their skill level farther from the "noobs" but first of all the game should have the goal to increase the community continuously.

Few of the changes to current gameplay mechanics would definately bring back old people and some new people who once tried the game and disliked it because of them. I've heard so many times the same complains about certain things in Legions.

Shade

Private Tester
but it would certainly improve "noobs/lamagrabbers"(there are lots of them) to do od routes or front grabs.I know for easy od routes or front grabs there is not much skill involved and for veterans it still looks noobish but its better than lamaing in my opinion.
The vast majority of new players have no idea what overdrive is—how does getting killed when they llama teach them anything?

If a player who was used to lama all the time gets now killed every time he tries to lama the flag, he should learn from it, if he doesn't well I guess we can say he's stupid.
A new player who gets killed all the time learns to stop doing something entirely. Their constant dying "teaches them that they are hopelessly bad at helping their team, and they should just give up and die...alone" (A quote from BugGirl). How can they learn to do something when they don't know what it is they're supposed to learn?

And it won't just help veterans not to get pissed of so much
Honestly, 2-3 cappers chain grabbing are going to be just as annoying (if not more) as llamas chain grabbing against a single chaser.

And newbloods who are new to the game should learn rather quickly that there is no way of getting the flag at lower speed.
The grenade launcher is a good llama deterrent. It can easily knock a llama away, as well as deal 50 damage. Veterans need to learn how to play defense, if they don't, well, I guess we can say they're stupid.

MightySheep

Like riptack said, newbies that llama eventually learn how to cap properly and we don't want to make this game un-noob-friendly

and like a few other ppl said it's fairly easy to defend against llama

but it is still annoying when every time you get a run up to grab the flag some newb comes and llamas and instantly dies, leaving the flag in the corner of the base or something

I recommend a shorter count down on flag for llama grabs, e.g. 10 second countdown when flag drops, this gives people an actual reason why they should grab the flag with skill instead of llamaing because people often argue that od grabbing isn't even necessary
and ofc it makes it less annoying

Jack

I really don't see why everyone sees llama-ing as a problem. If it's a pub, and you're trying to practice your routes (the only reason you would run a long route in a pub), it doesn't really matter whether the flag is there or not. If it's there, great. If it's not, so what? And you can't argue that it's to "practice against defense" because if it was a decent defense, there wouldn't be llama grabs in the first place (decent defense qualifies as home D able to use a RL, and chaser having a decent chain). In a poo, it makes complete tactical sense, and LO already has enough problems dealing with overpowered home d.

Alex

just to add, i think the base on niv and moonshine is actually kind of neat, but it needs a few changes. if the base was sunk into the ground to where the two front chutes were just above the ground, and the chutes through the bottom were shortened to the same level, and the base was given a roof at the level of the lip, it would be awesome. Think about it, you now have to do routes either through the front chutes or through one of four relatively small openings. no more easy over the wall front caps, no more insane drop caps. defenses can basically focus on a few key entrances and offenses will need to coordinate. Overdrive caps would require quite a bit more skill since they would either need to use tiny chutes or one of 4 other openings which are easy to guard. being lower to the ground would also mean llamas, if they did happen, would have to fly up first before being able to really gain any speed, exposing them to a lot more chain.
that would reduce the number of cap routes too low....there are some cap routes that use the chutes and some that use the entrances and even though they are different...and most of them use OD for the final part...the entrance and exit would be the same... and that would mean other mistakes..because i am sure that there will still be some players that would just spam rockets...or clusters at the entrances...AND seriously..A roof?..that would cause serious problems to the team and everyone that's inside...if someone uses a grenade launcher

Daphinicus

Private Tester
that would reduce the number of cap routes too low....there are some cap routes that use the chutes and some that use the entrances and even though they are different...and most of them use OD for the final part...the entrance and exit would be the same... and that would mean other mistakes..because i am sure that there will still be some players that would just spam rockets...or clusters at the entrances...AND seriously..A roof?..that would cause serious problems to the team and everyone that's inside...if someone uses a grenade launcher

Done right, an interior base is perfectly plausible; you just need enough openings in and out of said base to keep the defense guessing. You could even argue that it's tougher on the defense to have the flag inside a swiss-cheesed base than out in the open -- they can't watch incoming cappers on their routes, and thus have to keep an eye on a whole bunch of different possible entrances, playing whack-a-mole with cappers as they dart through. (Assuming they aren't communicating with defenders who are staying outside said base.)

That said, If the Nivo/Moonshine base were ever to be redesigned with a roof, lots of other elements would need to be changed as well. Again, we're very much into "it's more worthwhile to just make a new map" territory, here.

phanakapan

Private Tester
the base changes i proposed wouldnt work with the nivosus terrain. that terrain is absolute *chocolate cookies*.

an ideal stand to me would be something that both prevented front llamas and drop caps. basically you could do any number of routes within some set of angles horizontally and can approach in some set of angles vertically. routes would only be limited by where they end, not how you get there and how much speed you want when you arrive. I'm even ok with the frost base and its positioning because more or less you always know which way cappers will come in, so they have to be clever. the main problem with frost is how tiny the map is and the fact that the bases are lined up so perfectly for front caps. if the map was bigger and the bases were skewed slightly, it would spread out the action, making chasing better, and forcing cappers to be a little more creative.

on a map like raindance, everyone started off with routes that came at 90 degrees or a little in front of the stand for the longest time. Then there was a match between sticks and nutz and egotistick made up a route that came from a pretty severe backward angle and dropped in from a little higher than normal to avoid hitting the base and blew everyone's mind. it wasnt a huge variation, but the return route was faster, and the approach was very minorly hidden by the base. sure, the flag wasnt approachable in every direction, but there were tons and tons of routes on that map because people were forced to be creative as a result of the limitations of the stand and they all had different difficulties and pros and cons.

i like the idea of setting up limitations that forces people to adapt and be clever (and also fix gameplay issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.