A New Idea? (water)

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I like the idea of flags floating on the surface of the water. And what you said about "skimming" across the water and what is required for it to work.. that can all be rephrased by saying that skimming or sinking depends on the angle at which the player makes contact with the water.

Yar, that'd be an adequate way of describing it. Forgive Seymour for his rambling ways!

Now when underwater, I believe there should be increased resistance (as you mentioned), blurry AND not lower vision range, and - here's where I disagree with you - energy should be required to jet up underwater, perhaps even more than what is necessary out of the water.

Yar, valid argument. I don't know about necessarily utilizing more energy, mind you. The reason being that the combination of increased resistance + increased energy consumption might be too much, and would make underwater combate more tedious than interesting/fun. Though, for sure it's more realistic for the energy requirements to be increased due to the increased resistance.

The more I think about it, the more I like your suggestion of energy being consumed, versus the original idea of energy being limitless underwater.

theGOAT

When you are skiing on the surface of the water if you get hit you should lose speed and fall into the water

mario

Wow, every1 cares about the core's map when there was the lava. It makes the map so laggy, so if u want to have the water in Legions u can be sure that with lag. ;)

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Wow, every1 cares about the core's map when there was the lava. It makes the map so laggy, so if u want to have the water in Legions u can be sure that with lag. ;)

Hopefully with optimizations and improvements on the code, you'll see less of this lag than what you did before.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
No, no the water! No, no the lava! :D

i would imagine that the lava didn't really slow down core, but the excessive amount of fire there was. i think the lava was just a re-skinned "honeycomb of doom" as it was easily possible to get under the surface area of the lava and walk in it.

on the subject of water, shouldn't the jets require less energy due to being able to swim? and what about grenades? would their trajectory be less curved due to the grenades buoyancy? or more curved due to the resistance water gives?

i really would like to see water in legions, especially if we get a trail of water behind us when skiing over it XD

Xtreme

shaska's bff
No, no the water! No, no the lava! :D

What?

The reason being that the combination of increased resistance + increased energy consumption might be too much, and would make underwater combate more tedious than interesting/fun. Though, for sure it's more realistic for the energy requirements to be increased due to the increased resistance.

I now realize increased resistance implies increased energy consumption, so if we were to put both increased resistance and increased energy consumption you would have a quadrupled slow-motion effect. Which is bad.

But you said it would make underwater combat more tedious.. this isn't really about underwater combat. I don't think water should provide players with another type of arena where they can fight each other. It should play a role in skiing, not so much in dueling. Ya get?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
But you said it would make underwater combat more tedious.. this isn't really about underwater combat. I don't think water should provide players with another type of arena where they can fight each other. It should play a role in skiing, not so much in dueling. Ya get?

I guess I shouldn't have said 'combat more tedious', moreso 'movement more tedious'. And I agree, underwater combat would probably be more of a rare occurence than a commonality as most players would try to get out of the water quickly, to rejoin the main battle on land.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Yeah, I like the idea of sinking if you hit the water at too steep an angle. Also, if a rocket hits you and you slow down, you would probably need to slow down a certain amount before you sink. However, a direct hit from above should be a guaranteed sink. This could turn into a dueling tactic, you sink an enemy (especially the capper) and then stay on top of the water and shoot the enemy that is suddenly more like a fish, but not really in a barrel.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Yeah, I like the idea of sinking if you hit the water at too steep an angle. Also, if a rocket hits you and you slow down, you would probably need to slow down a certain amount before you sink. However, a direct hit from above should be a guaranteed sink. This could turn into a dueling tactic, you sink an enemy (especially the capper) and then stay on top of the water and shoot the enemy that is suddenly more like a fish, but not really in a barrel.

Actually, the physics of it would probably prevent you from sinking unless you deactivated your jets. A pressure wave would shove you downward, but with such force as to effectively make the water a solid. If you whack any fluid hard enough, it behaves in a non-newtonian manner.

snob

Pretty sure there was a long post by mabeline on the old old forums about water, in short it addressed that water would not be implemented and I doubt that has changed.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Oh, yes, I know about non-newtonian fluids, but in a game, physics can be altered, so that it is always newtonian. We're already flying around with jetpacks that recharge massive amounts of energy from nowhere, I'm pretty sure we can forgive some water physics. The ghosts in halo, which have a repulsive force on the ground, don't work on water and I haven't heard anybody but myself complain about that one yet.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Water is NOT a non-newtonian fluid, no matter how hard you "whack it". You people...

And yes, the latest official stance on water has been "don't wait for it".

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I said it behaves like one, and if you disagree with that, my arm (which I broke by hitting the water in a boating accident a few years back) will beg to differ. Non-newtonian fluids behave like solids when you hit them hard enough. Water does as well (if you hit it really hard). That's why jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge will kill you.

That's what I was referring to.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Water behaves like water if you hit it really hard. It hurts you. That's surface tension and unrelated to non-newtonian liquids. Anyways, don't hold your breath for water in Leejunz, though it might be a nice addition.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Water behaves like water if you hit it really hard. It hurts you. That's surface tension and unrelated to non-newtonian liquids. Anyways, don't hold your breath for water in Leejunz, though it might be a nice addition.

I know its surfact tension. My point was that non-newtonian fluids behave like solids when impacted. In a way, water does too.

I think Gheist outnerded Volt this round! Hohohoho!

*stalks away, sullen*

Back on subject: being able to sink someone with a rocket would be kinda cool, though I don't think it would really provide a tactical advantage unless they were a chaser and you were LO or the capper...