A New Idea? (water)

Vinzyboy23

Well, If you could be underwater there could be an oxygen meter (You'd probably saw some of those in most games). Like someone said, you could skim on water as long as your jet is on.

But what do you think about grenades underwater?

Levi

How about we add some random seagulls flying around the lakes? And then all the persons trying to fly over the lake would have random chance of getting tangeled by a swarm of birds, losing all their speed and suffering temporary jetpack overheat in process.
hehe MJ, good idea. AND a game type where you have to shoot down all the birds as fast as you can... oh its Imakiller444

TheWimp

*dance* yes water was one of the best parts of t2. legions go so fast you could skip off the top and go faster maybe.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Well, If you could be underwater there could be an oxygen meter (You'd probably saw some of those in most games).
But what do you think about grenades underwater?

oxygen meter? no thanks, i'm pretty sure with all that fancy tech the legionairres have they will be able to breath underwater.

grenades...... should they go further due to floating or sink faster due to resistance? i think they should just act normally as it will solve a lot of problems.

Annihilate

the water map thing: i was thinking of a tropical map and somewhere on this map could be a waterfall that falls into a pond or a lake that branches out trough the entire map.
Really, this is Legions not Barbie: Swan Lake.
Sounds like people are trying to turn Legions into Tribes tbh.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Okay, then. Grenades would probably sink faster. I could see using the chaingun and the rocket launcher underwater, and the other weapons just shut down or something. Also, I think there should be an oxygen meter just to keep people from camping underwater for ambushes that may or may not happen. Yes there is fancy technology that the legionnaires have, but gameplay has to be considered as well. PUBs, while this could be fun, would turn into an underwater tea party with rockets. However, there are tactical advantages to being able to sink your opponents. For example, as a chaser, you can sink the capper, or, as somebody else pointed out, a capper could, with a well-placed shot, sink a chaser and buy some valuable time to get away.

Silver

The whole dynamic of Grav thrusters would probably let you hover above it, But how about when you're not skiing over it you drop down into it to provide a hiding spot.

Maybe only the chain-gun works underwater?
Maybe if you're moving fast enough you just skim along the surface?
And I've got to say, Firing a rocket in a chaser's face and seeing him drown in lava sounds mighty satisfying.

dienasty

Water is nice to look at, but annoying for game play. (if its just small bodies, thats one thing, but if it's large bodies, it ruins the flow of the game) unless, there's some 'benefit' to counter the downsides, i'd say just use it as 'visuals' not really having any real value.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Water is nice to look at, but annoying for game play. (if its just small bodies, thats one thing, but if it's large bodies, it ruins the flow of the game) unless, there's some 'benefit' to counter the downsides, i'd say just use it as 'visuals' not really having any real value.

While labeling water gameplay as "annoying" is probably a matter of opinion between folks (though personally, I'm inclined to agree), a body of water's effect on a map can vary drastically based on
  1. how it is distributed by the mapmaker, and
  2. how it is utilized, tactically, by a given player.
For example, an island map (either many small islands, or one big one) has the effect of creating dead "zones" around the map that serve as non-lethal obstacles that must be avoided. Thus, it could take the place of voids in other games (think space maps in classic shooters like Quake and Unreal), but allow players to recover -- unlike voids, water is just an impediment, not a death sentence. Likewise, rivers and streams in maps could provide stealth routes into bases, allowing, say, a heavy offense to make use of it as camouflage.

It feels like there's a tendency amongst the community to support concepts that buttress LO players, as though every component of a map has to contribute to a cap route. God forbid we force players to fight indoors, or turn a couple corners before reaching the flag. I know I'm generalizing here, but I think it's important to remember that cappers aren't the only contributors to a successful game. Obstacles like water might make their jobs a little harder, sure -- the number of viable cap routes would certainly go down -- but it also opens up the opportunity for varied gameplay. And that, in my humble opinion, is not at all a bad thing.

Twin pennies, etc. etc.,

- Daph

[Edited; I said HOF, when I meant Heavy Offense, which is obviously not HoF. Ahem.]

dienasty

I can only speak from my experiences in Tribes 2 , A little bit of water is fine (like on RiverDance (water through the middle) or Beachblitz (surrounded by water); but take a map like archipelago (80% water map). It's unplayable (unless you're using vehicles. so if one teams unable to get vehicles you can basically forget it).

I've played on modded servers where the water was either 'bouncy' or allowed players to move through it easier. While not 'realistic' , it was fun! (this is a sci-fi shooter ;p why not loosen up on reality)