A New Idea? (water)

I'd love to see water added to the game, I think it could bring up an interesting gameplay dynamic and breathe more realism into maps.

Unfortunately, I need to wash up and get ready for work, but I'll definitely be back later to share some water ideas.

Talking of Breathing Realism into maps, if there's one thing that Could improve map realism in my opinion, it's Trees.
Not massive forests mind, as that would make skiing somewhat difficult, but the occasional tree or clump of trees would probably be nice.
Provided the trees are scaled well, it could also help make the legionaries scale seem so out of wack. (as has been discussed in many places)

Vustom

Talking of Breathing Realism into maps, if there's one thing that Could improve map realism in my opinion, it's Trees.
Not massive forests mind, as that would make skiing somewhat difficult, but the occasional tree or clump of trees would probably be nice.
Provided the trees are scaled well, it could also help make the legionaries scale seem so out of wack. (as has been discussed in many places)
I would love to see massive forests, I could hide in there, people could play hide and seek. c:

I would love to see massive forests, I could hide in there, people could play hide and seek. c:

I know, right? That, and possibly some mountains, I don't know. IMO, I think water is too far out there.

On the other hand, I think it would be wonderful if we could actually make our own maps. However, I don't know how that would work out since everyone would be posting their own. Maybe they can be private maps just for your friends to join, hmm?

A2

On the other hand, I think it would be wonderful if we could actually make our own maps. However, I don't know how that would work out since everyone would be posting their own. Maybe they can be private maps just for your friends to join, hmm?

Custom map support?
Unfortunately, not at this time. If there’s an opportunity to provide a public map editor that’s safe and secure to use, we’ll release it. Don’t fret, though, we have fresh new maps currently being worked on, and will be releasing maps as often as we can.

Wolf

Something that I consider as "missing" in Legions is water. Bodies of water could possibly give a more aesthetic look to the game but also play a role in game-play. Perhaps something similar to the water in Vengeance. Maybe it's not a new idea and I'm just repeating an old thread. But I don't remember seeing anything concerning this so I'd like to know if it will be implemented.

What do you think?

I think we should not drown but have something like a tank that refills with oxygen when your on land and when you are in water you can stay for 40 seconds so you could hide underwater then when someone is jet-packing you star shooting them and they wont suspect a thing!!!

Strife

Water would be a nice aesthetic addition but I think we can live without it. Though, I'm assuming the water would part below you and you'd fall in and sink to the bottom because you weigh a ton. As well, it would probably require alot unnecessary work to be able to ski over or through it and as such would be at the bottom of the list of things to do if it was even considered.

Falcon

Private Tester
The way I imagine water being implemented into the game would be as type of navigable terrain. It would be very shallow, preventing excessive underwater gameplay and possibly underwater turtling (no pun intended). While moving at above X m/s on water, the player would "skim" across the surface, and it would function as every other type of terrain. However, if the player falls below X m/s on water, they would sink slightly down into the water, creating a speed and mobility decrease. Also when approaching water at an angle such the the vertical component of the velocity is above Y m/s, the same sinking down effect would occur resulting in a speed a mobility decrease. The only way back out of this effect would be to jet up and find land.

57thEnryu

Water would be a nice aesthetic addition but I think we can live without it. Though, I'm assuming the water would part below you and you'd fall in and sink to the bottom because you weigh a ton. As well, it would probably require alot unnecessary work to be able to ski over or through it and as such would be at the bottom of the list of things to do if it was even considered.
Well, I picture us being able so skim over the water, unlike lava b/c its soo hot it would cause our suits to overheat very quickly. Though it you stop jetting you fall into it. The idea is ur going so fast that the force of your feet over the water is enough to keep you above it, like those water-skiers who do it barefooted, what u call that?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Water isn't exactly a new idea, but oh well...

In the past, its more or less been decided that you can ski over it, but you can splash down and even have impact damage if you hit it going to fast (as I have done in a boating accident in which I broke my arm and I was only going 40 miles per hour.) Beyond that, the CG and GL lose speed due to drag in water, and though missiles would go slower through water, they would not slow down over time and once they exit the water (if you fire upwards), they'll accelerate back up to normal speed). It was also put forth for water to shield against damage in general, providing a barrier that most weapons can't penetrate, though someone suggested that the Mk II RL be able to go through the surface without blowing up while the normal one would just blow up on the surface.

In regards to trees, it depends on what tree you're talking about. The average human male is something like 1.8 meters while the legionnaires are 2-3 meters in height. For lack of a better explanation, let's just say they're genetically engineered. There. No more need for trees to serve as scales.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] In regards to trees, it depends on what tree you're talking about. The average human male is something like 1.8 meters while the legionnaires are 2-3 meters in height. For lack of a better explanation, let's just say they're genetically engineered. There. No more need for trees to serve as scales.
To clarify: You don't even want to know how tall a generic sniper tower is in this game. Just believe me when I say that the scale in Leejunz is completely *danced* up. Better don't think too much about it. ;)

Regarding water: You might want to look at similar games, and how those included water. T2/T:AA or T:V for example. Might help your discussion to have some examples and points of reference.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Trees would either have to be destroyable or would have massive amounts of stopping power. Perhaps, in addition to knowing the legionnaires height, it is possible that the grassy maps take place on planets that haven't had a biosystem for long enough for anything beyond grasses and flowers to have evolved. Also, is there really any reason that we need to know how tall the legionnaires are? The maps and the everythings are massive already, no need to assign a height to all of this, though if you ever think about building a map like quarry in Halo, where spartans are a little shorter than legionnaires. Needless to say, there would need to be warthogs.
Water could be used to change up gameplay, but perhaps the half-life 2 method could be used where certain weapons (the 9 mm pistol, for example) work underwater, but others (the smg) don't. The chaingun could, and could run indefinitely, but while that is happening, they move more slowly. As the water is seen as a sneak-attack environment, rockets may be allowed to not to work, and the laser rifle kills everything with an electric shock. That last one sounds way overpowered. Anyways, just some food for thought on the waterfront.

The maps and the everythings are massive already, no need to assign a height to all of this, though if you ever think about building a map like quarry in Halo, where spartans are a little shorter than legionnaires. Needless to say, there would need to be warthogs.

Too bad we can't make maps yet, hahaha. But I would like the idea if the majority of the people weren't against it. I would picture something like this on the Lego-ish game called Roblox. I honestly liked the Legions style the way it was.

I thought it couldn't get better

Xtreme

shaska's bff
If you are hit underwater will that give you less damage. or the same

Same damage.

Regarding water: You might want to look at similar games, and how those included water. T2/T:AA or T:V for example. Might help your discussion to have some examples and points of reference.

I did mention Vengeance, your fault if you weren't paying attention.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I did mention Vengeance, your fault if you weren't paying attention.

I don't think he was targetting your post, but giving an idea to everybody on how to discuss water. ie: Using other games as a reference point and building off from there.

Bleh, I wish I would've saved some of the points from an old 'water thread' discussion. I thought I had saved it somewhere, but I guess not.

One idea that I'll briefly covered was this:

Flags would 'float' on top of the water (think a buoy), to stop players from jumping into water then slowing down the game. However, players would still be able to 'skim' over water (ie: holding their jet key) to somewhat quickly move over water sources. For this skimming to work, the player would need to not be coming from a great height (if they do try to 'land' on water, they'll sink in a few metres before returning back to the surface to 'skim'). It's just when they attempt to enter the water's depths that the flag loses itself from their grip and floats to the surface.

Rockets would explode on the surface of water, and a flag buoyed on water, could then be controlled by accurate rocket blasts, also a player could utilize a rocket jump while skimming the waters' surface for increased speed (at the cost of lost health).

As for being underwater, characteristics could be: increased resistance (ie: slower movement speed and weapon speed), lower vision range, and energy no longer required to 'jet'.

Yar, I realize the 'skimming' aspects and flag buoyancy may not be the most realistic mechanic, but I like them because they take away the 'speed trap' aspect of water (if played properly).

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] I did mention Vengeance, your fault if you weren't paying attention.
You do, noone else does though. There's no common ground for this discussion, which is why I brought it up. Communication always has two sides, remember that.

Ghedit: Ninja'd by Seymour. But yes, he's right.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Flags would 'float' on top of the water (think a buoy), to stop players from jumping into water then slowing down the game. However, players would still be able to 'skim' over water (ie: holding their jet key) to somewhat quickly move over water sources. For this skimming to work, the player would need to not be coming from a great height (if they do try to 'land' on water, they'll sink in a few metres before returning back to the surface to 'skim'). It's just when they attempt to enter the water's depths that the flag loses itself from their grip and floats to the surface.

Rockets would explode on the surface of water, and a flag buoyed on water, could then be controlled by accurate rocket blasts, also a player could utilize a rocket jump while skimming the waters' surface for increased speed (at the cost of lost health).

As for being underwater, characteristics could be: increased resistance (ie: slower movement speed and weapon speed), lower vision range, and energy no longer required to 'jet'.

I like the idea of flags floating on the surface of the water. And what you said about "skimming" across the water and what is required for it to work.. that can all be rephrased by saying that skimming or sinking depends on the angle at which the player makes contact with the water.

Rockets exploding on the surface of the water is another great idea and it fits very well with what you said about accurate rocket blasts used to control a floating flag.

Now when underwater, I believe there should be increased resistance (as you mentioned), blurry AND not lower vision range, and - here's where I disagree with you - energy should be required to jet up underwater, perhaps even more than what is necessary out of the water.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
To clarify: You don't even want to know how tall a generic sniper tower is in this game. Just believe me when I say that the scale in Leejunz is completely *danced* up. Better don't think too much about it. ;)

Are they just increased in size when in the game or something? The scale has never seemed off to me that I can remember...

...and the laser rifle kills everything with an electric shock. That last one sounds way overpowered. Anyways, just some food for thought on the waterfront.

Actually, how about the laser rifle has a quick falloff when it enters water, but for the sake of preventing water snipers, using the LR while under water electrocutes yourself.