Game Modes

Which gametype would you like to see next in Legions: Overdrive?

• Deathmatch

Votes: 65 23.4%
  • Team Deathmatch

Votes: 106 38.1%
  • Hunters

Votes: 53 19.1%
  • Rabbit

Votes: 99 35.6%
  • Arena

Votes: 123 44.2%
  • Other (Please describe)

Votes: 28 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Props on the post, Astrum. A well-presented argument that doesn't shy away from TL;DR territory makes Daffy happy. =)

My personal perspectives on all this line up closely to yours in some ways and pretty far away in others, but for now I just wanted to argue one point:

Duel: Yes. Fun in the way a game of chess is fun. There's so much you can learn from other players. Energy conservation, aiming, dodging, situational awareness, tracking, behavioral prediction, terrain navigation, etc... In other words this isn't fun in a "guns blazing" sort of way, but in a more academic sort of way. Current maps are inadequate for this game type as there needs to be a large selection of varying terrain and sparse prefab placement. These sorts of maps would also work well for Arena if it were a subtype of Duel. Although this will work just fine with only two people!.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Duel gametype; it's the "sparse prefab placement" that makes we wince a bit. No matter how varied you get your terrain, you limit your gameplay possibilities rather severely by not making use of buildings. Granted, seeing the same tower over and over and over again doesn't count as "varied" either, but if the mapper does it right, creates new prefabs for use in the map, and thinks a little laterally, the results can be one hell of a lot more fun and varied than hills and valleys ever could be. I mean, come on -- who wouldn't want to try dueling on a half-pipe at the top of a skyscraper, or in a gladiatorial arena?

...okay, maybe not as many people as I think. But come on, don't dis those buildings! They put up with a lot of getting shot at just for you. =)

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
  • Arena: Yes conditionally.
  • Duel: Yes.
  • Rabbit: Yes.
  • Team Rabbit: Yes.
  • Hunters: Yes.
  • Team Hunters: Yes.
  • Single Flag: Yes.
  • 1-Way: Yes.
I agree with these game-types that Astrum posted. These seem very interesting to me and the ones that I didn't mention I haven't played before.

I especially like the idea of 1-Way CTF. This could be essential to giving a player a good idea of how all of the positions work and which position best suits his play-style. Yes, it would also build a well-rounded player, which this community needs.

I loved the hunters gametype, it was much better than deathmatch and team deathmatch because it had a much more important objective. It also requires the player to be good all around the board. (Awareness, dueling, skiing, etc)

I like the arena idea because it is challenging and makes the player exercise extreme caution when advancing on the field.

Rabbit and team rabbit is always fun to play with and very competitive as well. +1 ego point for holding the flag for more than 5 seconds

jiang123

You know what would be cool that you can add friends legions.... and make the game on a website...... with faster loading. :)

Falcon

Private Tester
Capture the Flag Variants:
  • n-Way: Maybe. Multiple teams each with their own flag. Probably wouldn't work over 3-Way with 16 players and 4-Way with 32. This would definitely be a chaotic game type that would focus on situational awareness, flanking defense, and timing. It would be fun to get lost in the madness of it all though. Unfortunately it would require all new maps and the server would need a high player count to be fun.

How would this work, as in the scoring mechanic? Is it the first team to reach X caps, or elimination; where a team starts with X points losing points when their flag is successfully capped. At zero points they are eliminated and the game becomes an (n-1)way. An interesting alternative would be to have the points that go up when that team caps successfully and down when their flag is capped. Also I think that simple fve man teams would be sufficient for this, and a high player would not be needed. This reminds me of another alternate game type...

Steal the Pins (Flags)
Two (possibly more) teams have 5 (subject to change) flags all at their base. The objective is to have all 10 flags (five of the other team's) at your base. It works like capture the flag essentially the same way, the only 'twist' being that multiple flags could be in play at once, although a player could only hold one flag at a time. This removes the need for E-grabs (except on a 9-1 flag scenario. aka last cap) as a flag can be capped without at any time.
With N teams, the winning team eventually obtains all flags from all teams. Possible considerations include booting a team with no flags, or letting them try to come back (going all offense and possibly making and endless game).

nightside

i want them all..for arena type game play if every team has a captain, as long as the captain is alive the other team members can respawn, if the captain dies..well..no more respawns...and yes, this is already done in gears of wars and i think it works.

and, what about a mix between team DTM and 1way ctf? 2 teams, the first to reach "n" kills win, 1 flag at the center of the map, the team who grab it has a bonus (like more HP, more powerful rocket, stuff like that) as long as it keeps it and as long as team members stay inside a certain distance from the flag carrier, or maybe every team has a flag from the beginning, if a team kills the enemy carrier and steals the flag gets the bonus until the enemy retrieves its flag

Redvan

Private Tester
Rabbit and Hunters +1, they're fun

DM and TDM +1, good practice for skills essential to anyone playing CTF

Arena +1, always fun

Other +1, CnH for starts.

Hill

aditional Modes:

Capture and Hold

Find and Retrieve (5 flags, collect all to win the match)

Hot Potato:
A nice Flagpass Mod from Tribes 1 which was very very awesome to train it:
- 1 Flag in the Middle of the Flag
- If Flag gets Captured you will explode after 5 seconds if you dont pass it
- If Flag got dropped it cant be picked up by the same person
- Get the Flag to your Teams Stand to get a Point.

Additionally im for some fun playmodes, here some suggestions:
- Football Mod (Remake of the Tribes 1 Mod)
- Gun-Game (Deathmatch, you start with the badest weapon and after you killed one your weapon will despawn and you get the next greater weapon, the round ends when a player killed an enemy with each weapon)

And the Last but not Least:
The NO-CHAINGUN Mod: In This Mod everyone who use the chaingun kills hisself immediently..... alternative the chaingun can just be removed.

Astrum

Super Special R&D
I'm a HUGE fan of the Duel gametype; it's the "sparse prefab placement" that makes we wince a bit. No matter how varied you get your terrain, you limit your gameplay possibilities rather severely by not making use of buildings. Granted, seeing the same tower over and over and over again doesn't count as "varied" either, but if the mapper does it right, creates new prefabs for use in the map, and thinks a little laterally, the results can be one hell of a lot more fun and varied than hills and valleys ever could be. I mean, come on -- who wouldn't want to try dueling on a half-pipe at the top of a skyscraper, or in a gladiatorial arena?

When I say sparse prefab placement I don't necessarily mean no prefabs. One of the more interesting duel spots I remember is where two opponents start on opposite ends of a bridge (the central bridge from Raindance in T1). This connects two ends of a gully. This is the only prefab in the immediate vicinity. Generally speaking there's no more than a few prefabs. Granted prefabs can be of arbitrary complexity (within reason) so I should probably state that the prefabs themselves shouldn't be incredibly complex either.

Legions is a skiing based game which means terrain is one of the more important aspects of a duel. Unfortunately Legions does lack a few things that Tribes had. You're not going to beacon-jump for instance and terrain deflection maneuvers which are absolutely essential in Tribes are less important in Legions. Even with these sparse prefabs the fight is generally taken to the surrounding terrain.

Sufficiently complex or numerous prefabs will ensure more obstructions which detracts from the actual duel. It also takes away from what you can learn from each duel. Take your half-pipe on a skyscraper type example. Energy conservation in Legions is much more pronounced than in Tribes due to the relative lack of energy, but by introducing a half-pipe on a sky scraper you ensure paths rather than allow players to learn how to navigate terrain effectively. Behavioral prediction is also compromised since a prefab necessarily dictates what is possible to much a greater extent than the terrain. Subtle variations in the terrain such as local minima, maxima, bowls, and deflection points are all areas where a player can easily change directions and an opposing player must consider. Take for instance a duel on top of the Niv tower. This will promote a "bouncy" duel where energy conservation takes a large backseat to aiming, something which LakRabbit is better suited for.

How would this work, as in the scoring mechanic? Is it the first team to reach X caps, or elimination; where a team starts with X points losing points when their flag is successfully capped. At zero points they are eliminated and the game becomes an (n-1)way. An interesting alternative would be to have the points that go up when that team caps successfully and down when their flag is capped. Also I think that simple fve man teams would be sufficient for this, and a high player would not be needed. This reminds me of another alternate game type...

It's basically just CTF, only with 4 teams. If there's a 10 cap limit, then you can capture any of the other teams flags 10 times before the game is won by you. This is the basic version and there are naturally many variations of it. In fact the naming isn't even standard. Speed_King posted what he though 4-Way CTF was in the Suggestions area (which I only saw today), although I would have labeled it Singe Flag n-Team.

Steal the Pins (Flags)
Two (possibly more) teams have 5 (subject to change) flags all at their base. The objective is to have all 10 flags (five of the other team's) at your base. It works like capture the flag essentially the same way, the only 'twist' being that multiple flags could be in play at once, although a player could only hold one flag at a time. This removes the need for E-grabs (except on a 9-1 flag scenario. aka last cap) as a flag can be capped without at any time.
With N teams, the winning team eventually obtains all flags from all teams. Possible considerations include booting a team with no flags, or letting them try to come back (going all offense and possibly making and endless game).

There's a game type like this in the original Tribes. I can't think of the name offhand though.

Redvan

Private Tester
And the Last but not Least:
The NO-CHAINGUN Mod: In This Mod everyone who use the chaingun kills hisself immediently..... alternative the chaingun can just be removed.

I knew I was forgetting something: No splash mod so people have to actually learn how to use the cg and MA effectively.

Imagine them being Omnis.

Lol, in that case
Step 1: Find safe hidden spot
Step 2: Make sure you have a Ready Semtex
Step 3: Wait 5 seconds toss Semtex at your feet
Step 4: Tea bag Semtex and wait
Step 5: Cry like a little girl as it blows up =D

Status
Not open for further replies.