My opinion on the chain gun

Homingun

I think the nerf the chain gun got was some thing that was definitely needed. Now it seems to be in the same dps category as the RL and GL. I actually don't feel bad using it anymore.

I can understand that the overheat was necessary to keep players from holding down the trigger and just trying to get spam kills. But the spread that comes at around half overheat is horrendous. Even at close range it is hard to hit other players.

I would suggest that it have a consistent spread over a certain amount of overheat.

Another more radical suggestion is to make it have a consistent spread overall regardless of the heat level. But this should probably be only done when a new weapon is made that can take its place in chasing (accurate, high velocity projectiles).

What do u guys think?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I am very, VERY appreciative of the global reduction in chainwhore count. There are still a few players out there that are exceedingly good with it, but I'm seeing it used less often across the board. Whatever the cause of that reduction, I approve.

Unknown

Private Tester
I think that the nerf that the chain had is fine as well. As for the spread, at around halfway to overheat it is fine, but at about 3/4 of the way I normally stop chaining because I assume that I'm not going to be very effective, and I do more damage if I switch to a rocket at that point anyway.

Outlawl

Macabre
I think the nerf the chain gun got was some thing that was definitely needed. Now it seems to be in the same dps category as the RL and GL. I actually don't feel bad using it anymore.

But the spread that comes at around half overheat is horrendous. Even at close range it is hard to hit other players.

I would suggest that it have a consistent spread over a certain amount of overheat.

Honestly, I couldn't agree more.

Also, good feedback Homingun!

Redvan

Private Tester
havent had much of a problem with spread myself... fire in more bursts when at range has always been the optimal solution and still is.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
The old chaingun I suppose is out of the question due to the netcode changes. You'd rape people in 3 seconds.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Damage reduction seems reasonable. But the spread after about halfway to overheat is horrible, to the point where I can't chase with cg anymore. Your idea of keeping spread constant in the entire duration of cg usage is very appealing (at least to me).
The fact that if you are moving with fair speed the CG will not get overheated and will actually be cooling down. So chasing, unless you wouldn't be able to catch the FC anyways, you'll always have a nice straight spray of bullets.

Frankly I think the CG needs a quicker overheat on duels. It should be a finisher or a very close range weapon, not a *dancing* 100m lightsabre.

Chill out. -Bugspray

Homingun

The changes are totally fine, and the CG definitely does not need a buff. Go play the game a bit more, and wait till people get used to it again.

That's what they said about the old CG...

The fact that if you are moving with fair speed the CG will not get overheated and will actually be cooling down. So chasing, unless you wouldn't be able to catch the FC anyways, you'll always have a nice straight spray of bullets.

Frankly I think the CG needs a quicker overheat on duels. It should be a finisher or a very close range weapon, not a *dancing* 100m lightsabre.

Actually most of the "chasing" kills happen on a capper's exit after grabbing or when the capper is coming back to his/her own base. I have found that though the cappers are damaged when chased, they are rarely killed. I find the position of chaser more of a insurance to keep cappers from stopping and healing or rabbiting.

I don't think the CG's primary role was ever to be a close range/finisher weapon. Considering how it was balanced in the past, it always catered to chasing. This just gave it a huge DPS and close range properties.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Actually most of the "chasing" kills happen on a capper's exit after grabbing or when the capper is coming back to his/her own base. I have found that though the cappers are damaged when chased, they are rarely killed. I find the position of chaser more of a insurance to keep cappers from stopping and healing or rabbiting.

I don't think the CG's primary role was ever to be a close range/finisher weapon. Considering how it was balanced in the past, it always catered to chasing. This just gave it a huge DPS and close range properties.
Soo... Your point was? That the CG is not even good for its "primary" role? No, not anymore it is. But after the netcode change you can see what would have happened to the chaingun if it was left as it was. 80% of the *chocolate cookies* coming at me is chaingun fire.
Or are you saying that it should be used as a main duel weapon? Right... What are RL and GL for then?
I still think a faster overheat on duel speeds and a buff on damage is what the CG now needs. But a total buff? No.

Deskari

Soo... Your point was? That the CG is not even good for its "primary" role? No, not anymore it is. But after the netcode change you can see what would have happened to the chaingun if it was left as it was. 80% of the *chocolate cookies* coming at me is chaingun fire.
Or are you saying that it should be used as a main duel weapon? Right... What are RL and GL for then?
I still think a faster overheat on duel speeds and a buff on damage is what the CG now needs. But a total buff? No.

Perhaps you shouldn't be floating along for people to chain you out. There is no actual definition of a main duel weapon and we shouldn't allow these artificial Tribes inherited constraints to force us into believing that chain-gun is no more a primary weapon than rockets or grenades. Let's also stop diluting ourselves into thinking that a netcode improvement is suddenly going to make everybody better at chaining.

Homingun

Yes, I do believe that the chasing department had taken a hit due to the recent changes to the CG. My main point was that increasing the accuracy of the CG's sustained fire might make up for this nerf. My post to you was explaining how this would do so.

Actually I did not like the previous CG. I thought it was OP hence me solely using the the bomber class. Currently, I notice that more damage is done by rockets or nades than it is done by the CG.

The way I see it, yes CG is a main duel weapon. It is for shooting at people in the air when you can't guarantee a direct hit from a rocket or grenade. It also gives long range damage to keep players from running and healing. I find the grenade launcher to be used best when hitting players with indirect splash damage. And the rocket launcher does a bit of both.

And people keep referring to these "net code" changes. I truly wonder if they know what was actually changed or they just use it as an addition to their argument. If one of the devs could explain what these "net code" changes were and how it affects our game play, it would be much appreciated.

Deskari

Yes, I do believe that the chasing department had taken a hit due to the recent changes to the CG. My main point was that increasing the accuracy of the CG's sustained fire might make up for this nerf. My post to you was explaining how this would do so.
Freedom of movement isn't enough, movement needs a buff.

Actually I did not like the previous CG. I thought it was OP hence me solely using the the bomber class. Currently, I notice that more damage is done by rockets or nades than it is done by the CG.
Come on now, you were never in the handful of people who are considered awesome with the chaingun. Regardless of that, the chaingun had it's downsides. The problem was more the lack of movement than the actual chaingun. It takes less skill to spash your way to victory. Most damage inflicted is done by rockets and nades while people are on the ground, yet we don't complain about the splashing?

And people keep referring to these "net code" changes. I truly wonder if they know what was actually changed or they just use it as an addition to their argument. If one of the devs could explain what these "net code" changes were and how it affects our game play, it would be much appreciated.
I agree, blind band-wagoning does not make anyone's argument hold any more water. Even so, ping isn't the end all factor in how well one plays the game as we all become acclimated to playing at certain levels of latency.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
There is no actual definition of a main duel weapon and we shouldn't allow these artificial Tribes inherited constraints to force us into believing that chain-gun is no more a primary weapon than rockets or grenades.
Hurrdurr. "I throw in a Legions is not Tribes card and win the argument".
It's a tad bit easier to shoot a shuffling target with a stream of bullets than to try to hit with a rocket every 2 seconds. Then groundpound a few shots as the target gets down and continue to chain for the next 10 seconds of air combat. No, it doens't do enough damage to kill a guy who will knock you over with a midair, but it gets close.

How the *dance*? It IS dead accurate! And it continues to dead accurate during the whole chasing period. And greeting a capper in their base is not chasing but dueling.

The way I see it, yes CG is a main duel weapon. It is for shooting at people in the air when you can't guarantee a direct hit from a rocket or grenade. It also gives long range damage to keep players from running and healing. I find the grenade launcher to be used best when hitting players with indirect splash damage. And the rocket launcher does a bit of both.
How boring of a game people wish this to be? Already people crying that the gmae is fine as it is, then you wish the CG being the main dueling weapon? Right, let me mod jetpacks to CoD for you.

Mabel I'm sure will be delighted to tell you all about it. He was ranting about it on IRC a month ago. All I know from personal view is I've never hit so good with the bugger and I'm quite sure you couldn't just aim where the spray goes with the old CG.

Deskari

Hurrdurr. "I throw in a Legions is not Tribes card and win the argument".
Actually, its not a Legions-Tribes argument, that portion was more of an insult than anything. Your attempt to down-play the lingering Tribes mentality that much of the community holds is pure ignorance. Nowhere does anything in the game say that rockets and grenades should be a primary weapon. This viewpoint that nades and rockets should be the considered best weapons in any game has obviously been carried over from the arrogant Tribes "elite". Let's also consider that there are classes that do not have either weapon. Are they then unsuitable for dueling in the game? No, of course not. However, we continually express dissatisfaction with those weapons, but not the splashiness?

It's a tad bit easier to shoot a shuffling target with a stream of bullets than to try to hit with a rocket every 2 seconds. Then groundpound a few shots as the target gets down and continue to chain for the next 10 seconds of air combat. No, it doens't do enough damage to kill a guy who will knock you over with a midair, but it gets close.
It is not necessarily easier to shoot a shuffling target with a stream of bullets, especially one who uses cover and terrain to their advantage. Sure, you get more opportunities with the rate of fire, but it is nowhere near optimal in most situations. It is natural for chaingun to have an advantage in the air for floaty players, just as splashy weapons have an advantage on groundpounds. Let's also consider that people are required to hit the ground, flying is optional and you should not feel safe in either the ground or air. There are several advantages with splash weapons such as extra damage for direct hits, forgiveness of inaccuracy, and the ability to hit opponents around corners. We should also consider that if a "netcode fix" helps CG, it also helps rockets and nades with mid-airs.