Will a new map arrive with a "Night" sky? Browsing through Legions data files and found these images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I was browsing through live---->legions---->data--->skies--->night_sky

And I found these images used for a Night Sky version of the sky, but there currently are no maps using this, and even on IA the only map I would think MIGHT have used it was Mirage, but I think Mirage had a pink sky, so probably not.

Does the presence of these night sky images suggest a possible upcoming night-themed map?

thanksday_0001.jpg day_0002.jpg day_0003.jpg day_0004.jpg day_0005.jpg

lock445day_0001.jpg day_0002.jpg

mario

These pics of sky are from Mirage :D

s17187891518_1323993_1641.jpg

If you are too high on Mirage it starts with blue color
cool.png

Dino

the moon one dosn't really look like mirage but i guess your right cause i haven't seen mirage since ages
:p

Mike

Cool! Thanks for finding that. I knew that it MIGHT have been Mirage, but I guess I just wanted to ask anyways... maybe eventually there will be another map to use these skies? I think that some dark-themed map would be fun and excited.

Anyways, thanks!

lock

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Dark-themed maps seem like an epic idea, until it comes time to ski. There are severe limitations in the engine right now that keep us using only four textures for terrain, which is really, painfully few. That means that in order for us to cleanly outline hills and valleys, we need to rely on lighting and, more importantly, shadows. There's a reason you don't see any maps with the sunlight coming directly down; you rely on the shadows created by the hills to navigate terrain. In a dark-themed map, that lighting would be, at best, severely subdued.

Quarry tried it, replacing the sun with neon lighting. Quarry was an unfortunate failure. If you can come up with a way to have a "dark-themed" map that still clearly outlines the crests and troughs of terrain, please, let us know! =)

[Locked as requested.]

Status
Not open for further replies.