Why do people like certain maps over other maps?

Deskari

This is just to get to a general understanding of what characteristics make certain maps enjoyable. This thread in no way concludes that enjoyable maps are actually good maps. Not all maps are to contain the same characteristics, nor are they supposed to be played in the same manner.

Remember, this thread is to get a general understanding. Discuss...

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I'm assuming you're not looking for a specific answer to your question, but rather looking for each individual's perspectives on what they do and do not like about maps. So here are my thoughts:

My favorite maps are maps with tangible landmarks, and recognizable segmentation of the map into little mini-sections. Sure, a map that has monotonous hills, two opposing bases, and some structure in the middle is, I guess, just fine. But if a map has "the chasm," "the arena," "the riverbed," "the skybridge," and so forth, it transforms from a map to a SETTING, where adventures are had, duels are held, and stories are born to be retold again and again.

Magitrek

I like maps that have a variety of bright colors and landmarks, as they are easy to navigate. I also like varied terrain to encourage creativity

Sin

Private Tester
@ Magitrek,
Well, this is just me but I'm pretty sure I could ski every map except blade run with my eyes closed. I do like the varied terrain though. Bright colors are always fun, and Mirage will always be my favorite map.
Besides, of course, Zenith.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
As a chaser, I prefer large maps that give multiple paths so as to catch up to the capper and kill them before they make it home.

Landmarks aren't that important to me. I just follow the capper, and typically, I'm going 160+ on larger maps, so any moment that I do happen to not know where I am, I'll soon figure it out.

When playing on defense, I prefer the opportunity to have the high ground, and when playing as offense I simply prefer a route that doesn't guarantee that I'll get shot from long range.

In other words, Zenith.

Unknown

Private Tester
When I'm capping I like maps that let me get creative with routes. Zenith is more fun than Frostbyte IMO because it has more options for routes and skiing and you can always try different things to get faster, where Frostbyte for me is just front routes and the occasional back route if I'm on the right side.

Nivosus is a map where the only routes worth doing is front routes, but Moonshine is fun because not many people play it and it's a lot of fun to be the only one one with decent routes, also finding fast and reliable routes on Moonshine was harder than on any other map.

Quarry and Core were probably my least favorite maps because they were the darkest and I found them to be the hardest to find routes on, I just had trouble seeing and it wasn't very fun when I took fall damage on every other hill because I wasn't quite sure where to land.

Blade Run and Forgotten were a different kind of bad, but I liked them more than Quarry and Core. With BR and Forgotten, the maps were just too huge, there is no other way to say it. During pickups on Forgotten, I actually got bored.

MJ1284

I agree with Unknown, maps that offer multiple cap routes are far more interesting than "Grab & 180 turn & OD" we see on Core/Forgotten. It keeps defense on their toes when they know that capper can come flying from any direction, looking around the map is more fun than staring at that one direction where every capper WILL eventually come at your base.

Large maps in general (Blade Run/Quarry/Forgotten/Core) just aren't fun to play, it's too easy to pick up speed on those maps... as in, you can end up flying at 200+ five seconds after you've llama grabbed.

As a Defensive/Chaser person, I don't really care as long as the map doesn't end up beating me up.

As an Offencive/Capper, Landmarks are VERY nice, but I'd rather have a very large map that has many side routes, like Forgotten, Zenith, and Blade run.

Overall, what I look for in a map is:
Landmarks
Good terrain
Large
Brightly Colored
Many options(As in routes, ins and outs) when capping, but not too much.

Ultima

I agree with Unknown, maps that offer multiple cap routes are far more interesting than "Grab & 180 turn & OD" we see on Core/Forgotten. It keeps defense on their toes when they know that capper can come flying from any direction, looking around the map is more fun than staring at that one direction where every capper WILL eventually come at your base.

Large maps in general (Blade Run/Quarry/Forgotten/Core) just aren't fun to play, it's too easy to pick up speed on those maps... as in, you can end up flying at 200+ five seconds after you've llama grabbed.

Quoted for most truth.
Rather, being a capper, I find routes on Core and Forgotten still there, but more difficult to find. I've found a few side-routes that are impossible to see from afar, and thus while your team may be expecting llamas and frontroutes with the "Grab & 180 turn & OD", I'll be coming in and be away before you know it.

However, I do agree with your second point that it's too easy to pick up speed on the larger maps. If you can gain the same speed on a return after llama'ing as with a side route, then you know the map requires a lot of editting.

Another point I'd like to add was the actual smoothness of the terrain. Quarry is overkill, Core WAS overkill and is still a bit bumpy, but I'd like to compare these to zenith/mirage. While I'm not saying Mirage is a fantastic map for terrain, it's definitely a lot smoother than most maps. Zenith is probably my favorite map on the side of ski'ing.

Last would be the size of the map- Frostbyte and Zenith are ideal to me, while Moonshine/Nivosus are alright, but require more LO than capping.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Frost had the ideal map size and some nice hills. I loved zenith because it was smooth and bases were spread apart further than classic nivo/moon setup. Core was interesting in its own way but never really played much on it. I loved mirage but some of the hills were awkward. Quarry was blah, I liked the base design but the terrain wasn’t thought-out well enough.

Dacil

As a Defensive/Chaser person, I don't really care as long as the map doesn't end up beating me up.

As an Offencive/Capper, Landmarks are VERY nice, but I'd rather have a very large map that has many side routes, like Forgotten, Zenith, and Blade run.

Overall, what I look for in a map is:
Landmarks
Good terrain
Large
Brightly Colored
Many options(As in routes, ins and outs) when capping, but not too much.

I tried to find someone who almost has the same exact likes as I do and this is it!! only it doesn't necessarily have to be brightly colored, but I love the change in weather as blade run did and the neon lights of quarry

A2

Depends on the player. If he's a capper, he'd like to play in maps where he can cap well or where he is familiar with the routes. For D, I don't think it really matters.

Serket

I agree with a lot of the previous comments that a main focus should be having more cap route options and adding a bit more of variety to the maps because some are too plain (sorry i don't give examples, it's just that i don't remember the names anymore).
Another game I think legions the devs can get some inspiration from is a psx recing game called jet moto 3, regarding the variety for their maps, just because in my opinion that game offered one of the most varied repertory of tracks I've ever seen. It included catacombs with an egyptian look, a island system full of wrecked ships, a city that looked like from Spain or Italy with lots of corridors, a space station, a track inspired by Machu Picchu in Peru, a sequoia forest with high and low routes, an island track with active volcanoes with a Hawaiian feel, a city that looked like Brooklyn with street routes and underground metro routes, and those are just the ones I remember but I'm sure there were many others.
These are just some ideas in a game that never got old just because of the variety of routes you coulduse to avoid always doing the same thing.
PS, sorry for going overboard with the description.:confused:

Homingun

As a capper, I like maps with low open flag stands

Low flag stands because most maps with high flag stands are easy to llama grab and get instaspeed. Also, putting a huge bowl beside a flag stand is just asking for a llama.

Open flag stands because unnecessary structures are annoying when making and executing routes. Also, putting structures to make routes come from certain directions is just asking for a front OD spam.

I like Zenith the most because it incorporates both these factors and is fun to play on as a team.

Deskari

Please don't state the obvious by saying it's "personal preference." The premise of the thread is that it's asking for your opinion. The more important part of the discussion that some people seem to be missing is the WHY.