Who owns the game currently?

StrawHat

Just curious on who owns this game at the moment? used to play but seems like no one plays anymore and there are not really any updates. is it because there is no more funding for the game? because i thought it was suppose to have it out on steam or was the plan i thought.

yami

Private Tester
There has not been any funding for this game since 2010. At that time this game was officially shut down https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InstantAction. This game is owned by IAC http://iac.com/ They made an agreement with a few members of the community allowing them to distribute a standalone client of the game through legionsoverdrive.com. I believe this prohibits putting the game on Steam. Any modifications since 2010 were made by community members working on this as a passion project. The agreement with IAC makes it such that any content created for this game immediately becomes the property of IAC. Without any way to be compensated or even own their creative property, virtually all community members working on this game have given up.

Robbz

Has anyone asked what it would cost to buy the rights to the game? Maybe we could all chip in to free the rights to revive our loved game.

stefygraff

Private Tester
I would kindly contribute we can purchase the rights to Legions, but i guess this possibility was closed long ago. Also, I think this game has no chance of getting revived.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Unfortunately, I can assure you that the cost is far beyond what would be worthwhile.

charger1369

Hey guys, new to the forum. I played the game back in it's Instant Action days and I've been checking in on the project periodically since I learned that a group of community members were continuing to develop the game. I really, really like the direction that the game has gone in since they took over development and I (personally) think it would be very worthwhile to try and contact IAC to see what they might sell the rights for. After all the work that the community has put into the game, I think the devs deserve to own and be compensated for their work, as well I think this game would blow steam up with popularity if it were able to be released. But first the rights have to be secured. Does anyone know who needs to be contacted about that? I mean, it may be naive, but I'll work on contacting them myself if I need to. I really want to see this game filled up with people again.

Dreamer

*sigh* I miss it too. Honestly, what a game. I first was playing since IA days. I still poke my head in here every once in awhile to see if its IP rights are transferred or still in limbo. Starting to lose hope now.

Triad

Legions Developer
I agree with @yami, I don't think obtaining the IP would change much. We just need resources because we can continue to develop and extend the game, there just isn't anybody with the time and money to do it. From what I understood, the IP is necessary if you want to profit off the game, but it should always be completely free in my opinion.