What will Google do next

Libra

Google is taking over everything from search engine to phone software netbook even a social media website what's next a gaming system lol what do you think Google has under their sleeves

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Well, their primary source of income is simply ads. They will do whatever it takes to increase that. In the end, it comes down to them wanting to know as much about you as possible so they can make the ads as accurate as possible and thus charge higher and get more clients than alternatives. The social networking thing makes sense obviously. If you can get a digital file on their life, you can know just about anything you want and make ads extremely targeted.

Siantlark

Well, their primary source of income is simply ads. They will do whatever it takes to increase that. In the end, it comes down to them wanting to know as much about you as possible so they can make the ads as accurate as possible and thus charge higher and get more clients than alternatives. The social networking thing makes sense obviously. If you can get a digital file on their life, you can know just about anything you want and make ads extremely targeted.
As evidenced by this:
funny-facebook-fails-the-difference-between-facebook-and-google.jpg

HellzHere

Google plus is good, but it will take WAY TO LONG to actually make an impact on Facebook. Its one thing releasing something, but its another thing if it actually makes an impact on the competitors.

They are dominating netbooks with their OS? Seriously who uses netbooks, in a couple years they will be dead. Tablets are the new netbooks i think. Btw their OS sucks compared to windows

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
They are dominating netbooks with their OS? Seriously who uses netbooks, in a couple years they will be dead. Tablets are the new netbooks i think. Btw their OS sucks compared to windows

Me.

Tablets won't become the 'new netbooks' quite so soon as you think. The amount of processing power & other stuff stops them from doing that - including the higher price tag.

Chrome OS and windows can't even really be compared either. Its designed to boot up quickly, and just provide web services, rather than the full package. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean that it 'sucks'.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Chrome OS would be a great idea if netbooks actually worked decently. I think that's more a problem with battery than processors and RAM. To compensate, they have to scale back the power of the thing. You end up with something with moderate battery and sub-mediocre performance. My girlfriend has a netbook that she got from a scholarship and an i7 laptop. Which do you think she uses more often? The one that works (even if the netbook is more her size :p; my girlfriend is very short). I just find that people really only want/need three levels of computing to do normal things nowadays...

Hyper Mobile: smartphones - Ever since the original iPhone, smartphones have grown to become almost ubiquitous with nearly a third of Americans having them. They allow for mobile access to the internet from more or less anywhere. They fit in your pocket allowing you to take them anywhere without additional effort.

Mobile: laptops - People often need more power than a pocket-sized computer can give them. With the additional power comes larger batteries resulting in a larger device with room for a larger screen, another plus of this group. The screens are not monstrous, but they are plenty large in most cases. These are not taken everywhere because they require a little extra effort by the user, but they typically can be carried in a shouldered bag reducing the amount you have to pay attention to it.

Static Power: Face it, bigger computers are always going to have more potential than their smaller counterparts made at the same time. Making a computer larger eventually results in a computer that must at all times remain desk-top.

Tablets and netbooks have always just struck me as odd frankenstein's monsters of the industry. Tablets are like smartphones+ and netbooks are like laptops-. They are attempting to cobble together things that don't really make sense. You shrink a laptop and you no longer bother using a case which requires the use of a hand and active effort to keep it with you. You increase the size of a smartphone and it no longer fits in your pocket requiring the same. They are both popular, but netbooks do actually have more potential for functionality, but people think tablets are cooler, so their sales are going to be inflated past what they are actually useful for. The fastest typing mechanisms (barring anything exotic like the DataHand) are the full keyboard and Swype. The problem with full keyboards is that they require space for all your fingers which takes up much of the screen and is impractical because it can feel too small to use properly, not to mention the lack of tactile feedback (though researchers are working on this by using fields to make you think you're touching something). Swype is for a single finger and a tablet's screen is pushing the limits as far as how effective it would be due to the larger distances and that it won't be the muscles in your hand controlling your thumb, it'll be the muscles in your arm moving your wrist to move your index finger, a much more tiring process. Regardless, they end up being half-baked hybrids that have more drawbacks than advantages IMO. (Yes, I know some people would love to argue this. That's why I said in my opinion.)

In the end, so long as there is money to be made with things like this, Google will try. Chrome OS isn't a bad idea, it's just that unless batteries get significantly better and more efficient (such as the research into the use of TMV to increase battery life 10 times), there will be fundamental problems with netbooks. Android I'm sure is just as functional on tablets as it is on my Droid X, but they still lack an effective solution. Basically, both need some technological boost to make them valid choices. Netbooks need better batteries and tablets need better keyboards.

Seeing as how Google is a software and not hardware company, I think its more likely that they will address the problem of a lack of a keyboard through a better interface. Back before the iPad came out, there was rampant speculation about the device having a completely new form of text entry that would make it work. Instead, they slapped a virtual keyboard on it. If Google could find a soft keyboard design that would save screen space and still have decent text entry speed, I think that would make tablets more valid, unique, and less of a hybrid.

I have no idea how they'd go about doing it, but I do believe they do have the capability of designing a text entry system specially designed to accommodate tablets and thus be a boon for business. If they patent it (which surely they would), then it could give Android an edge over iOS in the tablet market.

Fixious

Test Lead
Actually, I wouldn't mind if they ventured into the ISP business. I think they've talked about this before.

Libra

i've heard about the ultra fast fiber supposedly it can carry 10 terrabits of data in a sec supposedly its the fastest ever

snob

Google has made everything I do easier and spam free. Infact, I'd say google calendar is the best thing on the internet.

Libra

google voice is great too you can text and call anyone anywhere in a america and cheap international calling rates so i can reach my loved ones for a cheaper price than vonage