User-created maps, FOR or AGAINST. (w/ some examples)

Should the map editor be made public?

• Yes

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Other reasons. -a comment is mandatory-

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JF_097

I think it should because that way, more maps would be made and the L:O team would just approve it if it's good and upload it to the servers. If possible.

Some user-created maps/unreleased:
Crusade -T1 Classic- (By: ContingencyPlan/RocketJumpStudios) = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQtDWiHcgw&feature=related
Project Voraega (By: Aleve909) = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKSeHdJJgY&feature=related
WIP WIPWIPWIP... (By: Pakoc) = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwfiPRW9fs&feature=related
One Small Step (Discontinued) = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSP3g7bOLA -OSS @ 3:22-

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The map editor shouldn't be made public because then we'll end up with 50 million maps, which could be very daunting to a new player, as they have to learn them off by heart. That's my opinion.

Also, the map editor that they have is 'apparently' not particularly stable.

Malox

I think if a decent review process is put in place that goes past a selected group for final say on whether a new custom map is worthy or not would be fine , I agree allowing access to the editor could have numerous shitty maps made but if a standard was explained with a detailed number of outlined expectations ...... the more maps the better.

The key word being control around the process

Just my thoughts anyway fellas ,

Mal-

Malox

I'm simply here to see if custom maps are something of interest , I have some mapping skills and was sorta interested in getting involved ....... might sit back and watch this thread evolve for now.

Mal-

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I spoke just last night with the devs about this, and it doesn't look good. Due to the (wholly bizarre) design of the Torque engine, and more specifically the way in which Legions was built, the map editor contains everything -- everything -- necessary to make the game. Physics. Assets. The list goes on. This means that releasing the map editor in its current form (which, apparently, is buggy as all hell, but that shouldn't surprise anyone who's worked with Torque before) would be rather similar to open-sourcing Legions development. Since that's not an option, the editor needs to remain closed off for now.

Can the editor be separated out? Possibly. But it would take a hellacious amount of effort to do so -- the sort of effort that would take away from development of the game proper for far more than a short while. And it would still be buggy as hell and annoy the bejeezus out of the community. Which means there'd be clamoring for bug fixing of the editor, which is even more time taken off Legions development...

Whoo, nelly.

So for now, we'll just have to sit back and be patient. Don't despair, though -- at least you can play Legions while you wait for new maps. =)

Reading the comment by Daph, someone making a map with the map editor having the games physics in it, could in theory change the entire style of game play with one map. Making a rocket fired travel backwards for example.

i vote no.

JF_097

Reading the comment by Daph, someone making a map with the map editor having the games physics in it, could in theory change the entire style of game play with one map. Making a rocket fired travel backwards for example.

i vote no.

LOL, I luv to see that. Shooting a rocket then have it smack you in the face.

eldermimmmi

The map editor shouldn't be made public because then we'll end up with 50 million maps, which could be very daunting to a new player, as they have to learn them off by heart. That's my opinion.
Also, the map editor that they have is 'apparently' not particularly stable.

I think it should because that way, more maps would be made and the L:O team would just approve it if it's good and upload it to the servers.

Aki

Open sourcing map making sounds like a good idea to me. If it ever happened that a map editor that was just a map editor was created (say the devs wanted to make life simple for themselves when they work?), letting the community make maps and submit them for approval with the dev team would take a lot of strain off of them and nurture the creative side of our rather small legions community.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
There is a slight problem, if legions gets anywhere near the amount of popularity of tribes, Maps will be coming out every five seconds. I will be hard for the development team to test every single map. ( This includes private testers) But of course this is just speculation.

moronval

Private Tester
Open sourcing map making sounds like a good idea to me. If it ever happened that a map editor that was just a map editor was created (say the devs wanted to make life simple for themselves when they work?), letting the community make maps and submit them for approval with the dev team would take a lot of strain off of them and nurture the creative side of our rather small legions community.

Did you not read a single word daphinicus just posted?

FlyerRadio

My thoughts on opening up the map making:

Have a library of all maps publicly submitted. Give the option to sort by popularity, date submitted, size etc. Give the option for players to download a map, and the ability to play/ski around it solo within the game client. Players can then test out new maps, and the cream will rise to the top. Every month, Development Team picks from the most popular maps, and makes them publicly playable.

Now, I think this would be a great system in a world where the development team's resources are unlimited. But it's not. It would take time and effort to build a library for maps to be submitted, build a map testing mode into the game client, space for all maps submitted, etc. But if the game grows, and we have more resources, this would be my plan on how to open up the map making.

Hawk

I was just wondering..bit off topic, if any of the 'materials' could be made in Photoshop CS5 using the 3D tools they provide..?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
if legions gets anywhere near the amount of popularity of tribes, Maps will be coming out every five seconds.

But if the game grows, and we have more resources, this would be my plan on how to open up the map making.

It's always incredibly tempting to talk about the eventual runaway success of an indie game you're passionate about. We do love Legions, after all, and it can be hard to understand that our passion might not spread too far beyond the boundaries of this humble forum. There are regularly a couple dozen people playing Legions at any one time; compare that to the hundreds of beta testers that tackle a top-flight title, and the hundreds of thousands of players those titles can have, and the differences between the two can get a little... overwhelming.

If the stars align and it gets a little chilly deep down underground, it's possible Legions will find runaway success. But try not to get your hopes up too much. It's a lot more productive to try and come up with other ways of contributing and showing our support! Have a map idea? Sketch it out! A weapon concept? Put it to paper!

I was just wondering..bit off topic, if any of the 'materials' could be made in Photoshop CS5 using the 3D tools they provide..?

Hawk, the term "materials" in game development usually refers to shaders, textures, and other 2D visuals. Are you talking about 3D assets? As in, modeling buildings, weapons, or player characters in 3D?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Yes, the 3D assets, bleh.

All good, just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about normal maps or anything like that. =)

And to answer your question, I'm honestly not sure what formats Torque imports to use as assets. But if you're serious about wanting to model, I wouldn't use Photoshop CS5. Grab Blender -- it's an absolutely superb, and completely free and open source, 3D modeling tool that easily rivals Autodesk's products, especially for someone who's just starting out.

Hawk

Well, I have Adobe Photoshop Cs5 and I've been using it since it came out, but, thanks for the guess, I would like a mod to answer the question if it was possible :)
And Blender...does it support the DDS files? or would i have to find out :D

And yes, im very interested in Graphic Design/Modeling :)

Status
Not open for further replies.