Triangle above enemy players

Nvidia

I think the triangle above an enemy player shouldn't be always visible. Now you can easily see when a capper is coming and that makes it really really hard for a capper. In the "old" legions you just could see the triangles when the player was in a closer range. I think this should stay.

LindN

noticed this as well, never got a surprise capper up my ass cause i could see them even from the start of their route :/

Homingun

I felt so too. Its really annoying when you do a long back stealth route and find out upon approach that everyone is staring at you with their weapons ready to rip u apart.

Buhlitz

I guess the other side of this is that it forces cappers to work in unison with their LO so it's more about teamwork instead of cowboy cappers.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I just think it shouldn't be visible at all.

Unfortunately, without the IFF markers, it'd be almost impossible to tell friend from foe at anything further than point-blank range -- and that's assuming players were colored according to teams, which they're not. Right now, the only viable way to tell an ally from an enemy is by using those little triangles. =)

rrr598

Unfortunately, without the IFF markers, it'd be almost impossible to tell friend from foe at anything further than point-blank range -- and that's assuming players were colored according to teams, which they're not. Right now, the only viable way to tell an ally from an enemy is by using those little triangles. =)

Well how about just when the're in your sights?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Well how about just when the're in your sights?

Players move so rapidly, and there can be so many on your screen at one time, that being able to instantly distinguish friend from foe when players are swarming around a flag is the only way to gain the situational awareness you need to be able to make your targeting selections. If you had to hover over every single player to see whether they're a friend or an enemy, you'd never be able to make decisions quickly enough to be effective.

Now, having friendlies marked, but enemies unmarked, is an option that would still allow you to tell friend from foe rather easily, though it would make identifying enemies a LOT harder. But if we're marking friends, it only makes, well, SENSE to mark enemies as well (even if they aren't marked until they're much closer).

Unknown

Private Tester
The idea I had was to only be able to see them when you are able to see the actual player model / jets, or just outside of that range. Any farther than that is just ridiculous.

Chris55

I guess the other side of this is that it forces cappers to work in unison with their LO so it's more about teamwork instead of cowboy cappers.
This, I was coming in for a cap and all of a sudden the entire base defense was focused on me while two other cappers came in. One of them grabbed the flag and the other killed a defender. We capped the flag because they all focused on me.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
This, I was coming in for a cap and all of a sudden the entire base defense was focused on me while two other cappers came in. One of them grabbed the flag and the other killed a defender. We capped the flag because they all focused on me.
And that's teamwork for you. You might not get the recognition of your sacrifice for taking the flag out, but you did do a good number for the team so you yourself can take pride in that, right? Also that's possibly the purpose of the new sensing method. Also, I remember being able to see the enemies on the HUD for quite some distance. Not all the way across the map, sure, but it was still a long way. This will just make you think not just about the route, but also the status of the enemy base and the timing of your arrival.

The increased IFF range seems to work like a charm to balance things more towards D, and to enforce more cooperation. And yeah, it's absolutely necessary to have IFFs visible a lot of the time, because players can be barely visible (or completely invisble) even though they're within weapon range.

Homingun

Currently, being able to see all enemy IFFs in field of sight is not making me want to cap anymore. It is only going to get worse when pugs and comps start up.

This made me start thinking about the spotting function of Bad Company 2. What if you can't see the IFF unless someone on your team "spots" the player. It would promote cooperation between teammates without having to manually telling your team where the player is.

It would also keep options open for deployable or destroyable base sensors that show IFFs for all players in a certain radius later on.