Toggle Zoom

Revelation

Why was the zoom feature changed to hold instead of toggle (even though it says "toggle zoom" in the options menu)? It's incredibly awkward trying to move around while holding down the zoom key and really hinders mobile sniping. Thanks in advance for knowledgeable responses.

moronval

Private Tester
You can change it to toggle zoom in the pref.cs file. Find this file in Legions\live\legions\preferences, open it in wordpad or notepad - doesn't matter, and search for the line "$Pref::Input::ToggleZoom = 0;" all you have to do is change it to "$Pref::Input::ToggleZoom = 1;" then save and exit. Restart legions if it's already up.

Revelation

Thanks for the quick reply. Another question, is it possible to change the level of zoom or even set two different levels of zoom, similar to the previous sniper?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I like the new zoom system, A lot less messier than zoom in, in a bit more, oh wait, I need to zoom out again, and you'd have to press the button like 3 times.

Mabeline

God-Tier
It is the way it is because it's clearly the most intuitive interface given our constraints. Having to cycle through all the zoom levels to get out of zoom was unacceptable. I decided not to constrain your available FoV's based on what weapon you had (that was always stupid anyway) so the old way of switching FoV's was out so I went with the only commonly used two-way zoom adjustment interface, the mousewheel.

If you want to experience the bad of keybinds for adjustment...

Code:
   ZoomMap.bind(mouse, zaxisup, "cycleZoomIn");
   ZoomMap.bind(mouse, zaxisdown, "cycleZoomOut");

Have a ball.

Hellsniper

i already read what moronval said, but his code is different to mabeline's?

also, i can't seem to find pref.cs (i can't run legions on the computer im on atm so this may be why). if it's not in an obvious place can you indicate to me where it is?

Gheist

King of all Goblins
It is in: ...\live\legions\preferences, like stated above.

And of course moronval's code is different from Mabeline's, as it's doing something completely different.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
You can change it to toggle zoom in the pref.cs file. [...] search for the line "$Pref::Input::ToggleZoom = 0;" all you have to do is change it to "$Pref::Input::ToggleZoom = 1;" [...]
-> "change it to toggle zoom"

[...] If you want to experience the bad of keybinds for adjustment...

Code:
   ZoomMap.bind(mouse, zaxisup, "cycleZoomIn");
   ZoomMap.bind(mouse, zaxisdown, "cycleZoomOut");
Have a ball.
-> the code that determines how you adjust your zoom ratio when not toggling (currently your mousewheel).

I'm honestly not sure how to make it any clearer for you... The context explains everything, just read, all of it.

Redvan

Private Tester
The new zoom is way more intuitive. This has been one good change IMO.
intuitiveness is relative.

if you think about it, having a key you have to hold down to zoom is far worse than a toggle, unless all you do is stand there sniping. But if you want to jet around... holding E while jetting is not a good method. Add the mouse wheel zoom level to it and now you have bigger problem if you want to snipe then cg someone. You have to hold E, fire snipe, then what, use another finger to use a number key to switch weapons? Try doing that while jetting... It's entirely possible, just not practical.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] if you think about it, having a key you have to hold down to zoom is far worse than a toggle, unless all you do is stand there sniping. But if you want to jet around... holding E while jetting is not a good method. [...]
I, personally, love the "hold down" mechanic, especially for chasing and quick zooms while being airborne. Opinions and preferences... ;)