Thinking about buying a desktop- advice needed

Royalty

The Aussie
A question about Desktops: Would you have to be crazy to have one on carpet?
What St3lth said, Dell are a piece of crap. Don't buy anything from them ever.

With an i5, GTX 550 (Basically a 555) recording at full res (1680x1050) and max settings puts my fps down to like 15. I don't know if the i7 would show much difference, you'd need to go for a more expensive price range.

EDIT: Half-res is fine, but not "70" fps.

DOUBLEEDIT: The GTX 560 is a lot better than the 550.
Recording *Tribes: Ass-End*?
Realistically even high graphics would do it for me. I don't need to have it on ultra. It would be a huge improvement from my current laptop anyway, which get 20 FPS on Tribes, minimal settings.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I dunno, it'd probably get kinda nasty inside on a carpeted floor (and definitely don't open it up and start touching components). I'd recommend putting your tower on something solid, just a piece of board or something to keep it level.

Delpicy

"Hey dad, can I have this computer? Yeah, some guys on the internet told me to get it. No, don't worry about setting it up, they said they would do it all for you! I gave them our address so they know how to get here."
OT: my computer is on a carpet and works fine

Royalty

The Aussie
I dunno, it'd probably get kinda nasty inside on a carpeted floor (and definitely don't open it up and start touching components). I'd recommend putting your tower on something solid, just a piece of board or something to keep it level.
So just a plank of wood or something?

_Beast_

"Hey dad, can I have this computer? Yeah, some guys on the internet told me to get it. No, don't worry about setting it up, they said they would do it all for you! I gave them our address so they know how to get here."
OT: my computer is on a carpet and works fine
oohhh sure it does work find but i am pretty sure after sometime your fan will start to run and sound louder and your computer one day is going to head up so fast and kill all the insides by it self.. uuuhhhhh there is goes 900$ or if not more.

Delpicy

I've had it there for four years and it seems ok. Suit yourself; I agree its probably not the ideal situation.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I built my PC a carpeted floor and now run it on a carpeted.
lulzorrs

Bestking

Would this handle Tribes Ascend on max settings with FRAPS recording and still have 70+ FPS?

Alienware X51: $2500
  • Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz(8MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
  • 8GB Dual Channel 1333 Mhz DDR3
  • 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555
  • Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
Includes:

• 23 inch Monitor
  • Microsoft Office Home and Business
  • Alienware TactX Keyboard
  • 3 year Premier Service
  • 36 Month MacAfee Security
What do you think?

BTW, my dad recently bought two Dell's for his office and got the price down from $3500 to $2180, so I could get a better deal.
Royalty, if you just go for the Alienware, Just keep in mind that there is vents on the bottom and the carpet will block any air from going in and help cool the parts.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
A question about Desktops: Would you have to be crazy to have one on carpet?

Recording *Tribes: Ass-End*?
Realistically even high graphics would do it for me. I don't need to have it on ultra. It would be a huge improvement from my current laptop anyway, which get 20 FPS on Tribes, minimal settings.
Yes, T:A.

anak

VIP
hi,

don't buy this *dancing* computer. I just built an xps 8300 with a higher-definition monitor (same size), the same i7, and a GTX 545 for $1200.

alienwares have a shoddy design and a ludicrous pricetag. please, PLEASE just get a nice XPS. WITHOUT McAfee, they're a piece of *chocolate cookies*.

Bestking

hi,

don't buy this *dancing* computer.

my xps 8300 was $1000, and at the MOST your specifications would cost $1000 more than what I got.

alienwares have a shoddy design and a ludicrous pricetag. please, PLEASE just get a nice XPS. WITHOUT McAfee, they're a piece of *chocolate cookies*.
What St3lth said, Dell are a piece of crap. Don't buy anything from them ever.

anak

VIP
what alternative would you suggest? HP can't construct a solid computer to save their life, and toshiba only makes all-in-one desktops. If he even considered buying an alienware, he obviously isnt knowledgeable enough to build his own computer.

k e v i n

Private Tester
what alternative would you suggest? HP can't construct a solid computer to save their life, and toshiba only makes all-in-one desktops. If he even considered buying an alienware, he obviously isnt knowledgeable enough to build his own computer.
If you want advice, Build your own desktop, it will be better in the long run and given that your budget is $2500 you could build something twice as better.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
what about places like cyberpower? get someone to pick a specsheet for you and then choose + buy.

you can also have the pretty lights too.