The Engineer Guide

Fixious

Test Lead
While App's post takes a more technical approach to 1.40, this guide will be a bit more general and help you understand the Engineer a bit more.

Start by opening up your Inventory screen, which can be done by pressing your Activate Core key. After this, take a look at the Turrets, Utilities, and Reactor screens. Each screen will have at least one item in them as a level 0 (your level is shown at the top of your Inventory screen). Also look below, at the XP To Level and EM Production bars. The XP To Level bar will fill up as you collect XP from your deployable items. Once it reaches the end, you will level up. This can also be viewed at the top of your hard as a purple bar. The EM Production bar shows your current EM (Electromagnetic Signature). When it fills up you aren't able to place anymore items unless any of your currently placed items get destroyed, or you level up. This is also shown at the top of your HUD near the purple bar as a white percentage number. For instance, if it says 75%, it means you have used up 75% of your available EM. Each item also has a brief description that shows in the Description box when you click on an item.

You generally want to start out by placing a Mk1 Reactor and Mk1 Sensor, though it's entirely up to you. Sensors are currently the quickest and easiest way of gaining XP. They slowly gain XP by detecting you, though there's a very noticeable increase when enemy players are around. The more enemies it detects, the more XP it gains. Whenever you feel like it, go up to the sensor and touch it. You will then gain any XP it has stored, which in turns helps grow your XP To Level bar. You can at any point check how much XP your deployables have in the List screen, as well as destroy any of your assets. Simply click on one of the listed assets and press Destroy Deployable. You will then get however much EM that deployable created back. The amount of XP required to increase in level is an exponential curve with the level cap at 15. Do not expect to often reach this.

Also notice the information on the right of your HUD. It will list any nearby reactors, their power, rate, and if it currently has an XP Multiplier. Reactors can only handle so many items, which increases with each new Reactor you gain access to (there are 4 available Reactors in the game). The power and rate numbers act as a guide as to how many items the reactor can handle, as will the power beams. Once the rate gets near 0, an orange power beam will appear, signifying that it can't handle another item. If you decide to place one anyway you will start to see the power drain, and the reactor will eventually explode. If there's a nearby friendly Reactor the asset will attempt to connect to that instead (if it can handle it). XP Multipliers will kick in after 4 minutes of placing the Reactor, and help give you a little boost in gaining XP. Any item connected to a Reactor that has the XP Multiplier will benefit from the multiplier.

Upon pressing Deploy you will be put into third-person mode and will see either a blue or orange shape of the asset you are attempting to deploy. If it is blue it means you can deploy it, if it's orange it means it is either too far away or isn't on a flat enough surface. Deploying an item takes a few seconds to complete. A progress bar will appear and fill once it is done. You must remain still as the item is deployed; if you move it will cancel out your deploy and you must start again. Currently placing items while blue is somewhat buggy, so just keep clicking around until it deploys (I would recommend having the repair gun or chaingun equipped when rapidly clicking, or else you'll fire a rocket and cancel your deploy)

Engineers also have access to a repair gun, which takes up a weapon slot. You can repair any friendly asset or Reactor (including Capture Point reactors), as well as damage enemy assets. Here is a brief rundown on the items the Engineer has access to as he levels up:

lvl0(base)=rocket turret, healpad, ammo station, mk1 sensor
lvl3=mk1 boost, mk1 guardian turret
lvl5=mk2 reactor
lvl6=mk2 sensor, mk1 chrono-iris
lvl7=mk2 boostpad
lvl9=mk2 guardian, mk3 reactor
lvl10=chrono-iris mk2, chain turret
lvl11=mk3 sensor, teleport pad
lvl13=disruptor
lvl14=mk3 guardian turret, laser turret
lvl15=mk3 chrono-iris, mk4 reactor

(work in progress)

Royalty

The Aussie
Can an engineer have 1 of each turret type active at a time, as long as his/her EM Signature permits it? Or can you only have 1 turret at all times, regardless of the time? Does a sensor actually do anything apart from giving you XP (as there are no mini-maps for example)?

stefygraff

Private Tester
Dont forget that you need to touch your deployables(sensors, turrets w/e) so you can actually gain those ex points and level up!

Royalty

The Aussie
Dont forget that you need to touch your deployables(sensors, turrets w/e) so you can actually gain those ex points and level up!
Touch or be very close? Also, I'm not sure if this a bug or not, but I switch to 1st person when creating deployables if I was in 3rd person (not placing, creating)

Fixious

Test Lead
You have to physically touch any deployable that has gained XP.

Can an engineer have 1 of each turret type active at a time, as long as his/her EM Signature permits it?

If your EM permits it, yes.

Also, I'm not sure if this a bug or not, but I switch to 1st person when creating deployables if I was in 3rd person (not placing, creating)

Not a bug. You can deploy in either first or third, doesn't matter.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Sensors detect the enemy before they get in your range of view- best way to lvl up.

Ammo stations and healpads work also as long as you have hit/been hit by enemies and theres a limit to how much you can get in a certain amount of time.

Boostpads will gain some if a ally goes through and returns or captures the flag within 40 seconds.

Turrets all gain for hitting and a lot more for getting the killing blow on people.

Chrono gains some for each projectile it slows.

Jammer gains some for each enemy core jammed.

--

I think that's all of them that gain right now. My favorite start right now is a sensor and ammo station at the enemy base somewhere sneaky and sulking off hitting the ammo/sensor for xp / healing and then going back in. I guess that works on D too. Hopefully teammates learn to start using engies assets to help them level as well as help themselves.

I dont advise just grinding off a sensor to see stuff if theres not a game going on :p , if you wanna see all the deployables and you are in your own server use:
Code:
commandToServer('Admin', "qklvl(%client);");
in the console. If you want to level a friend , replace %client with their number from the admin pannel.

Royalty

The Aussie
Hopefully teammates learn to start using engies assets to help them level as well as help themselves.
I can imagine how a good a team with 2 techs would be. Have two boost pads on either side of the base and capping and chasing would just be a dream :D