Suggestions for a noob?

MarbleDuck

Does any proficient Legions player have any tips thy'd be willing to share with a noob? Any help appreciated.

Unknown

Private Tester
What position are you wanting to play?

Capper is the person who gets the flag
LO is the person who kills and distracts the other team's defense
Chaser is the person who tries to kill the capper before and after they grab the flag
Stay at Home is responsible for keeping the HOF safe and stopping the other team's offense
HOF is the person who straddles the flag in heavy and presses R when a capper comes in. There is more to the position, but I don't play heavy unless Darklord is on the other team so I wouldn't know.

Definitely watch lots of videos. Also some good stuff in these threads:

Daphinicus

Private Tester
It's tough to provide textual tips; your best bet is, honestly, to find someone in-game who'd be willing to spend some one-on-one time with you (I'd be more than happy to do so if I ever see you in-game, and I know for a fact that there are many others who feel the same way), hop onto an empty server, and consult over Teamspeak about various gameplay elements, strategies, routes, and the like.

There are also a smattering of tips that are frequently mentioned on these forums, so if you do a bit of poking around, you'll likely find them. That said, rule #1 is this: practice, practice, practice!
  1. To practice skiing and learn routes, hop onto an empty server. Watch some YouTube videos of skiing on the map you're in, and try to replicate what you see. There's no substitute for having someone with you to guide you through when you up-jet, down-jet, and so forth, but the sheer dedication you'd be practicing can do wonders. It's amazing what we're able to do when we actually put our minds to practicing, rather than stepping into a server and hoping that by dying over and over, we'll somehow get better.
  2. To practice dueling and fighting, find a server that only has a few people in it. Chances are, they'll be screwing around and will be up for dueling. Choose one weapon (the RL is normally a good start) and work your butt of at getting good with it.
There's so much more than that to getting good, but it's the sort of stuff that needs to be taught one-on-one, or learned over time with plenty of practice and the acceptance that you WILL need to suffer a lot of deaths to get decent (which I recognize goes against what I said in #1 above, but my point is having the right mindset when practicing). Legions, and FPS+Z games in general, have some of the steepest learning curves of any shooter ever made, and many of your opponents have been passionately playing these games on and off for almost 13 years. Give it time. Give it patience.

And for the love of all things holy, ask for help in-game. There are a lot of obnoxious twits in the community, but there are also some really good apples. Find 'em, ask 'em for help, work with 'em, and have fun. =)

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
You don't necessarily have to do that, playing with more skilled players is always helpful. Even if it seems like they're beating you down for their own amusement. You could even ask someone in the server, try it out.

Sin

Private Tester
Aye, Ucan speaks the truth. Many a time I have been pwned by the "elite" players of legions. That's how I learn. That doesn't mean sit back and let them murder you, fight until your last 1% is gone. If you like, I could teach you some stuff, mind you though, I'm not a very amazing player. Ucan would beat me 4/5 times easily.

Unknown

Private Tester
Thanks for the help.

I'll try the suggestions, and will stop going to packed servers to get myself x_x'd
Lol, 90% sure you didn't answer my question. What position are you interested in trying out? I ask this so that me and others can tell you what to improve on (example: for a Stay at Home, dueling is more important than skiing, since you shouldn't be skiing around the map very much or at all as a Stay at Home).

Siantlark

As a so called "noob" he might want to try all positions first to see which one/s he likes and is good at before focusing on it.

Reactions: Sin

Unknown

Private Tester
As a so called "noob" he might want to try all positions first to see which one/s he likes and is good at before focusing on it.
True, but I was asking if there is a single position that he is really interested in and wants to give it shot, not one that he will be playing until he dies. I know that when I first started out I saw cappers in PUBs doing routes at 190 or 200 and that really inspired me because I knew it would be a fun challenge to teach myself and to come up with routes that fast, which I have done and more (270 route on Zenith!).

Kryst

Private Tester
Just what Unknown was saying... Think of a position that fits your style of play, and work towards being the best you can be at that, then move on from there and branch out to others and you can become very versatile.

Dueling skills is always very important.. So practicing on LD or LO would probably be best suited for that. ^^

When skiing, always land on a downslope at its most vertical point.
Strictly speaking that's not entirely true. You want to land on the part of the slope that is most in line with you. Admittedly, you can adjust yourself to match the steepest part of the slope, but sometimes it's better to have shallower slopes a longer distance apart.
This is because, with every adjustment to your trajectory you are using energy, and with adjustments in all but one direction (down), you are also reducing your velocity.