Spectate

Fixious

Test Lead
They've talked about it quite a bit, so I'm sure it's on the way. No idea what's at the top of their priority list at the moment though.

Gravis

In the event they do get to bringing it out, will they be adding something to both increase and decrease the camera speed of spectating?

Abandoned

I see everyone likes it as a lazy resort to learning new things on legions. Spectator mode, back in IA had a problem that was, imo - game-breaking.

People would just take up spots in that player hosted server JUST to watch some "good players" play.

Edited:
Just... You know.

Fixious

Test Lead
I see everyone likes it as a lazy resort to learning new things on legions. Spectator mode, back in IA had a problem that was, imo - game-breaking.

People would just take up spots in that player hosted server JUST to watch some elitists play.
I remember one of the devs saying there would be both player and spectator spots, so that wouldn't happen.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] People would just take up spots in that player hosted server JUST to watch some elitists play.
If I could only get a dollar for every time someone uses the word "elitist" around here without knowing what it means... (And yes, I'm aware of the irony.) What's wrong with "good player"?

Like mentioned before, spectator mode is in the works.

DMGED

You're all pretty 1337 in my eyes. But that's only because I still suck.

Free-cam with speed adjustment, following in first and third person, etc. I'm sure whatever spectating features come out will be just dandy. Something so standard should be easy to get right.

Homingun

Advantages:
-shout casters can move between players to get a better view on the action
-beginners can watch more experienced players and learn the game quickly

Disadvantages:
-a team can easily find out the strategy of the opposing team
-players can 'observe' routes that other players spent hours making

I would suggest that there be a server toggle for spectator mode.

MJ1284

Disadvantages:
-a team can easily find out the strategy of the opposing team
Strategy in Public games? Please :rolleyes:
If you mean competetive matches then you can add spectating to "don't do these or you're a dweeb" -list, problem solved.

Disadvantages:
-players can 'observe' routes that other players spent hours making
What's the difference between that disadvantage and this advantage?
Advantages:
-beginners can watch more experienced players and learn the game quickly

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] you can add spectating to "don't do these or you're a dweeb" -list, problem solved. [...]
In addition, players got a notification when someone followed them in spectator mode back on IA, I'd say it's save to expect something like that again. Not to mention that spectating players still show up on the score/team screen, so this really should not be an issue.

Nonetheless, a server toggle might be an idea once private deds are here, if people really are that paranoid.

Homingun

Strategy in Public games? Please :rolleyes:
If you mean competetive matches then you can add spectating to "don't do these or you're a dweeb" -list, problem solved.

If more experienced players keep treating public games as a joke, they won't ever get better.

You'd be surprised how much 'dweebishness' went around when Legions was competetive. Hotswapping anyone? But I was referring to pick-ups more anyway.

What's the difference between that disadvantage and this advantage?
Well, one has to do with a specific position while the other has to do with general game-play. Not everyone is a capper doing routes.

I personally find it annoying when players try to follow me on routes that I (or another person) spent considerable amount of time making without asking. I'm usually generous enough to show routes when asked nicely.