Sensors

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Basically, after seeing the everyone from super far away ranges, and how it is harder for the capper, I thought of this new (or old) idea of sensors. It basically ties in with the idea of a command map, and is similar to how the mini-map works in games like starcraft 2. Once the sensor has been deployed (as it would work as a deployable) it would 'light' up the area and show any incoming enemies to the base.

The sensors should naturally be destroyable (and they are naturally weak, so a direct rocket would be able to take it out), and that would be an interesting tactic as the LO would have to destroy the sensors, making the enemy 'blind' to incoming cappers until it is too late. The sniper rifle would also be used to take them out, making the oddball position of midfield sniper a new objective.

The other players sensor knowledge is added to you own, and you can see the enemies that they see. However, I believe that the player's equipped sensors should see further than the deployable sensors.

Visually, I'd like the device to be small, but that's up to the devs : )

skypredator

. "The sniper rifle would also be used to take them out, making the oddball position of midfield sniper a new objective."

I like this idea. I used to be a midfield sniper, but it didn't quite work out. The targets had a nice lateral movement; I just couldn't drag snipe them.

LindN

sensors? _command_ map???

oh of course you're talking about the sensor towers.

oh and also
I like this idea. I used to be a midfield sniper, but it didn't quite work out. The targets had a nice lateral movement; I just couldn't drag snipe them.
stop osniping

skypredator

I don't o-snipe. Sniping the enemy with my team's flag while they're at their base isn't o-sniping. It's called doing my team a small favor in getting our flag back.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Skypredator, they were saying another objective that a midfield sniper has is to stop osniping. Anyways, back on topic...
Would the sensors project onto a mini-map, or would it give IFF on the HUDs? I would prefer keeping a mini-map out of the game, since I think the IFF works well when there's a good effective range. This would force people to think a little more about routes, more awareness on the terrain and such, but one thing the higher IFF range has is that it makes the offense coordinate better, which may not happen in PUBs, but in PUGs and competition games, there can be coordination. The reason they've done this is because everybody who plays defense has been clamoring for buffs and the devs have been doing it in ways as benign as they can think of.
There has been talk of bringing in deployable assets, and one of the things on the list would or should most definitely be sensors, but like anything else, its going to need to be tested. It would be good for snipers to have something else to do because bored, stupid snipers become osnipers. Odds are, and this is in favor of the people who place sensors, people like cappers are going to be too busy coming in on their route to notice a sensor. I would guess that they would have to be fairly large, not tower sized, but large enough to notice on these huge maps.
One thing, though. I think the flag should always be visible on the HUD, no matter the distance from players and sensors.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Would the sensors project onto a mini-map, or would it give IFF on the HUDs? I would prefer keeping a mini-map out of the game, since I think the IFF works well when there's a good effective range.

One thing, though. I think the flag should always be visible on the HUD, no matter the distance from players and sensors.

I like both systems, and I think they can be combined well. As for keeping the mini-map out of the game, no, but not on the HUD, but if you pressed a certain button to make it come up.

The flag should have a sensor of its own yes, so the other team can trace it. That bit makes total sense.

LindN

but to be perfectly honest, with the way the target finding and all that jazz works in OD you really don't need sensor towers as you won't usually be surprised and if you get surprised by a really good route, then we shouldn't ruin that cause that'd make defending *chocolate cookies* easy.

MJ1284

I don't o-snipe. Sniping the enemy with my team's flag while they're at their base isn't o-sniping. It's called doing my team a small favor in getting our flag back.

Unless one of your teammates is near the flag carrier you're not exactly returning the flag if you're taking potshots from 1-1,5 kilometers distance.

My vote would be for destructible sensors at locations on or around the players base. Like in T1 and T2, if you're behind an object from the sensor's point of view, you're hidden. The sensor would make every enemy player within a certain radius (with the exception of those who are hidden by an object/hill), appear on your teams HUD. (it could be made so that they'd only appear on there if you yourself are within a certain range of the sensor, arguing that it needs to transmit said data to you). The sensor would need to be fairly well protected in terms of hp/shielding. I'd say give it a health of say 2 or 3 times a sentinels health, and so long as the health is above a certain level, it will slowly regenerate on its own (but could still be repaired by players). This would give LO something new to do, and bolster defense somewhat (as the offense would need to not only distract defenders, but also ensure that the sensor is destroyed and remains destroyed.

Something I would also like to see is that if the sensor gets damaged, then it could start to malfunction, with more malfunctions appearing the more damaged it gets. I.e. when it's at 80% health it's effective range might decrease slightly, and there's a small (2-3%) chance it won't detect an enemy until another player spots them and makes them appear in the iff (or just won't spot a player, period). Once it gets down to 50% health, the range would have decreased significantly, and it's starting to miss more enemies. (30-40%)

skypredator

I like the idea about the malfunctioning, but maybe it should be a little easier to destroy. Ever face 3 HoF's with just a Chaingun? I have. And it's hard. Very hard. Heartbeat sensor. *hint* *hint*

You don't want something that LO can just plant a few shots in as they fly to the base. It has to take significant effort to take out, otherwise D would be caught up constantly trying to both d the flag and repair the sensor.
The difference sky, is you don't have "just a Chaingun", you have all your weapons at your disposal, and the sensor doesn't fight back. I'd suggest it be slightly out of the base, to prevent there being D hanging around it, making it impossible to kill. Keep in mind, while I say it would regenerate health, it wouldn't do it very quickly. On it's own, I'd suggest it regenerated at maybe 50-75% of the speed that a raider does. Bearing in mind that it also has more hp to regenerate that the raider, it would take a while to go from 50% back to 100.

skypredator

As a sniper, yes. You want to try to take out 3 HoF's with a LR? No? Then use the Chaingun. Anyway're right, but the sensors shouldn't be too strong either.

Part of the idea of it being strong is to bring into play another position which would focus on destroying base equipment like the sensor, and have distraction a second priority. the HO (heavy offense). For example, in games like T:V, the sensor's shielding was strong enough that without the use of the speedpack, the only weapon a light could use to destroy the sensor would be the rocket pods, and it would still take almost the entirety of a lights ammo. on the other hand, a heavy just has to lob a few mortars the sensor's way. Yes this brings in horrible horrible baserape (at least in pubs), but I'm sure there's ways to minimise that. besides, most new players probably wouldn't be able to use the cluster effectively enough on the sensor to quickly rape it. It's not easy to use like a mortar.

Mhi200

Imo new players shouldn't be playing sent so much anyway.... I see too many who think they're invincible and just stand in one spot, no skiing, no dodging... bad habits.
I agree on the high HP thing, scoring a perfect hit on a stationary target is fairly easy with a bit of practice/experimentation.
Also, for the same reason, the sensor should be reasonably small, but still with quite high visibility.

...Why would you be playing LO against three HoFs with a sniper loadout?:p:D

Lin

I think we could combine this with some other ideas people have had about the IFFs and how much information they put out. Sensors could put a range to flag or range to player indicator on anybody who flies through them, meaning that it'd be harder to miss somebody going through the sensor radius on a cap route, where they might only pop up for second or two otherwise.