Sell iMac 2006 and Macbook 2009 to build custom gaming rig

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Please, listen to me. Ivy bridge is coming out very soon, and is better than anything amd can offer. Nvidia is good, but 560 card is old now compared to AMD's graphic range (plus there's the 600 series of the nvidia cards coming out soon anyway, with 680 already been released)

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
tbh, a lot is happening in the hardware world. I'd hold off for a few months or something. Prices will go down.

I would, but I need to get this done in two weeks or so. I simply need the power and space for gaming, not to mention school. Both of these eat up my machines like crazy and Macs just can't do it. Besides, I can afford it after I sell them both as a pack + iBuds, power cables, new logic boards, etc. I'll have roughly $240 left over after I build one of my 5 possibilities, so I'm good.

I don't want/need anything fancy like water-cooling; all I want is recommended components from you guys. You guys know what you're doing and talking about when it comes to gaming and performance rigs. I don't. If any of you have a lovely build that you spent under $1,550 on, tell me everything you used. I want to make this quick and snappy - no hanging over on which card/fan/HD to buy. I just need a sick setup with a reasonable price.

Beautiful stuff. Makes me seriously reconsider building a rig on my own, simply for the sheer power. Stelth gave me a lappy option:

However, I won't be getting the best of the best, so I'm actually most likely going to just build my own rig. Does anyone have a good list of specifications? Seymour, Pop, I'm asking you primarily. Also, what monitors do you reccomend?

Also, guys, it'd be helpful if you just reccomended the parts needed to build a rig and give me the overal cost, instead of links to newegg. Just give me a raw setup and price and I'll be ecstatic. Thanks! :p

Yeah, I added them up. Thanks for taking the time to give me these lists. I was just curious if any gaming rig-savvy people here would share their setups with me. They know what they're doing and their setup must be great - it must be under fifteen-fifty, though.

Selling an iMac 2006 with Microsoft Office Pro and Skype preinstalled, along with a new powercord and a RAM upgrade. macbook comes with a flawless red spektrum case and flawless exterior shell, Windows 7 already installed, along with a new pair of iBuds and a new charger cable. Package also includes a 500 GB external HD pre-configured for instant use with Windows 7 (can reformat for use with iMac). <-- I'm fairly sure $1,700 is a fair price for refurbished computers that Apple is still selling for upwards of a grand each, plus easy-use accessories. Seventeen hundred is the max bid, but the package has an instant buy option with a price of fifteen-fifty. If it sells, I'll have lots of room to work with. I'll just need to know exactly what components and case I'll be buying BEFORE I sell them. This way I can order them right off the bat and get back on top of school and gaming right away.

Setup configs, Devs? hit me with the ones you use, and how much it cost.

I'm looking for a rig that'll run BF3 on max settings <--- (benchmark, it's not the only reason I'm looking for a rig). I found these on Amazon. Look at those specs. Geez - what a steal for only a total of $1,510 $1,530!

http://www.amazon.com/Microtel-Computer®-Computer-Processor-Microsoft/dp/B004GW7PJM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335359696&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX2...-Speakers/dp/B003Y3BJ7S/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_b

HDMI cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Series-Certified-Available/dp/B0019HL8Q8/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335365023&sr=1-8

This one has been getting lots of attention on Amazon, so I'll write the simplest explanation of why I chose this one over monster cables - it works for me even though I'm a moron.

Me look for HDMI cable. Me find this one. Me read reviews. Me look at monster cables and laugh.

I will now go back to banging coconuts together. Thank you.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I'm looking for a rig that'll run BF3 on max settings <--- (benchmark, it's not the only reason I'm looking for a rig). I found these on Amazon. Look at those specs. Geez - what a steal for only a total of $1,510 $1,530!

http://www.amazon.com/Microtel-Computer®-Computer-Processor-Microsoft/dp/B004GW7PJM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335359696&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX2...-Speakers/dp/B003Y3BJ7S/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_b

HDMI cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Series-Certified-Available/dp/B0019HL8Q8/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335365023&sr=1-8

This one has been getting lots of attention on Amazon, so I'll write the simplest explanation of why I chose this one over monster cables - it works for me even though I'm a moron.

Me look for HDMI cable. Me find this one. Me read reviews. Me look at monster cables and laugh.

I will now go back to banging coconuts together. Thank you.

I will tell you now, I have a GTX 550, it's not enough for Max BF3.

Yeah. Monster HDMIs are fricken' expensive but there's nothing special about them except their aesthetics.

I see. I'll have to scrounge around for a different pre-fab machine. Thanks for letting me know, Dab.

I've customized this:

http://www.centauruscomputers.com/html/shopping_cart.html

(the processor is an i7 2600K, btw)

All I want to know is if I can run BF3/MW3/MW2/JC2 on high-max settings with no stuttering or FPS drop on the machine I put together. High settings are alright, max would just be for show off, etc. I assume that if I'm paying this much money for a gaming rig, it'll be able to do this.

If anyone knows of a prefab machine with these specs 8GB RAM (instead of 6 GB) for under $1,550, please, give me a link.

I finally found a retailer where I could customize my machine and still get a 3 year warranty, which is actually free as a default from AVADirect.

I put together these specs. I'm ecstatic about them, and the price.

• INTEL Core™ i7-2600 Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 2000, LGA1155, 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm, 95W, EM64T EIST HT VT-d VT-x XD, Retail (unlocked for overclocking)
  • EVGA Superclock CPU Cooling Fan, Socket 1155/1156/1366/775/AM3/AM3/1207, Aluminum/Copper
  • COOLER MASTER ThermalFusion 400 Thermal Compound, Electrically Non-Conductive
  • SERVICE Mild Overclocking, 10-20% Performance Increase
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3, LGA1155, Intel® Z68, DDR3-2133 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /1+1*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /2, 6Gb/s /2, VGA+DVI+HDMI, USB 3.0 /2, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
  • CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance™ LP PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
  • ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5, Radeon™ HD 6870 915MHz, 1GB GDDR5 4200MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, 2xDVI+xDP, Retail
  • SAMSUNG 2TB SpinPoint F4EG, SATA 3 Gb/s, 5400-RPM, 32MB Cache, OEM
  • RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
  • SABRENT CRW-UINB Black 65-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive, 3.5" Bay, Internal USB
  • SONY AD-7280S Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
  • ANTEC Six Hundred V2 Black/Silver Mid-Tower Case, w/ Window, ATX, No PSU
  • COMPUTER ACCESSORY Universal Acoustic Foam
  • CASE FAN LED Fans Maximum Package, Blue
  • CUSTOM WIRING Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down
  • LOGISYS 12" Single Cold Cathode Case Light Kit, Blue
  • COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M 850W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Bronze, ATX12V 2.3 EPS12V 2.92, 6x 8/6-pin PCIe, SLI® Certified, Retail
  • MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM
  • MICROSOFT Digital Media Keyboard 3000, Black, USB, Retail
  • MICROSOFT Express Mouse Optical Mouse, White, 3 Buttons, USB, Retail
  • GAMING PC Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)
  • SERVICE Standard Shipping (UPS, DHL, or Fedex)
Total price: $1569.56 [This includes $47.90 shipping from Cleveland, OH - 2 day shipping as default though]

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
computer stuff

Excellent, looks like you've been paying attention. -.-'

You've not only gone for an i7, but an out of date one, as ivy bridge is now out. An i5 from the 3xxx series is what you want (preferably the unlocked k one)

You've also chosen a similarly out of date GPU, and while it is a good card, you can get a much better deal by not getting that i7, and spending the cash on a radeon 7xxx series or geforce 6xx series (when they are released) card

Also that computer is expensive, I have a computer very similar to it, but with an i5 instead of that i7, and a radeon 6950 instead of the 6870, AND an ssd, with it costing me £700 instead.

P.s. I like how these specs are relatively similar to your first post, and much more expensive.

HVanquish

I wouldn't recommend getting a gaming laptop that you still want to do some major school work on. I don't know how good your battery will be, but I bought an ASUS gaming laptop for about one grand. Has 4 cores and all this fancy stuff but about 2 hours of battery life and weighs about 10 pounds.