Pushback/flag control for BR

Jaymyster

I've thought about this suggestion for sometime now, but like other times, my lack of pubs lately has somehow pushed me finally make a thread about it. The BR is a good weapon, not bad at all. But it's under-use in pubs/pugs (in my opinion) is due to it's lack of effect on shooting the flag. The fact that the rocket is able to move the flag in desired directions and that the BR literally does nothing to the flag, is a big determinant of why rocket is chosen over BR in game (once again imo).

I simply think the BR should be given some sort of push-back/flag control (not necessarily to the degree of rocket's effect) for it to be considered worth using more in CTF matches (not just duels).

k e v i n

Private Tester
i actually like this idea, i've used the BR a couple of times just for fun, but i stopped using it because it's not able to do more like the rocket can

also, you're able to nade boost with the BR, without getting the damage over time. but could it also be able to super nade boost without getting that damage over time as well? :)

loc

#1 Private Tester
There has been talk in the past about a weapon that would make the flag carrier drop the flag when ma'd and maybe it's time to try it out with the BR.
I realize that this happens in TR already but I think it needs to be limited to one weapon and the one that sets you on fire gets my vote. (for now)

loc

#1 Private Tester
It would probably have to work in a way I believe Seymour once described,lets say with 2 consecutive hits within a certain time frame it would knock it loose.

And yes,Anfibio would definitely stop playing. :D

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
You're probably thinking of that 'grip mechanic' idea from the testers forum, at least I don't recall a 'BR' knocking flags loose idea. I'll sneak the grip idea in here because mean ol' Popo still hasn't allowed me to open up the Testers forum to the public (yet).

Grip System
The Grip System was designed to address spammy iOD routes, and reduce the effectiveness of OD grabs. How it works is that once you are holding the flag, Core activation affects your 'grip'. For example, if you decide to Overdrive holding the flag, you can, but your grip value begins to drain. If this grip value reaches 'zero', you automatically drop the flag (a 'fumble'). With the addition of new Cores, any type of Core activation would affect this value at different rates. A Regen or Warp Core activation would automatically set the grip value to zero, a iOD burst could be used two or three times before the flag's dropped, and a stream OD would have a few seconds of use before the grip value reaches zero.

When a player is holding the flag, the grip value slowly regenerates itself. As soon as the player drops/throws the flag, the grip value greatly regenerates itself. The idea is that this would promote more skillful flag play; Flag passing, self-throws and catches, etc. This would also allow the Sentinel his short, burst-like agility to remain as is, but places a reliance on teamwork and skilled passing during standoff situations.

What I like about this system is that it addresses these current Legions issues:

• Heavy reliance on front OD 'back and forth' cap routes
  • Spammy Sent iOD caps on small maps
  • Removes intuitive issues such as "Why can I not use this Core when I'm holding the flag but can use that Core"
  • Fairly easy concept for new players to understand
I like this idea for a visual indicator to display Grip strength: A small fist will appear when the flag is held. As the grip strength lowers, the fist becomes more and more loose (with the remaining grip percentage displayed inside/beside the icon), and when it nears the 10% mark, it becomes a open hand with a 'low grip' warning displayed. For Cores that would be an instant fumble (Regen and Warp), the icon could be a red open hand to signify there is no grip strength with that Core. I think that would be so neat, and I actually giggled at the cleverness of this icon as I drove home from work tonight. :-/

SNAKEOPS

I think the grip system is actually pretty sweet, allow cores to work when you have the flag, but then incorporate this grip system.

Jaymyster

I'm going to make one last reply to solidify my purpose of this thread, and hopefully it will be much more clear where I'm coming from afterward.

For the most part, it's pretty much essential to have a ground and pound weapon when playing a game of legions. We have two weapons that specialize in that purpose (as in, guaranteed explosion on impact), Rocket and Blaster Rifle. Rocket has a significant effect on the flag, while Blaster Rifle has little to none. If our true desire is to have a choice within the weapon classes in legions, then we would need to give BR the essential ability to move the flag in desired directions (to some degree at least). Otherwise, there is no choice- and it will stay that way.

It still may not be fully clear why other weapons aren't specifically being used such as plasma (still has more flag control than BR), but I'm quite confident that this is the primary reason for why BR isn't (because it's certainly not the damage).

Edit: Hopefully this question highlights my purpose a bit further. In the heat of battle, would you use any other weapon for controlling the flag than rocket?... I don't think we are fully aware of the monopoly that rocket has over flag control... To give a weapon the strongest effect on the flag is one thing, but it's another thing to make it the only means of controlling the flag; thus making rocket almost a requisite to be equipped.

Last edited: