PuG NIGHT BOYS

Application-1

test bester
giphy.gif

IzSid

Honored Hero
Pugged for 7 hours last night! If we get a couple more people we can start running two 7v7's, and potentially do a four captain snake draft to make the teams even. It takes a while, but we shouldn't have to repick for three games at least if we do a round robin format.

Would be fun to change it up a bit and make it slightly more competitive.

Fixious

Test Lead
We can still do a best of 3 with the current format, instead of repicking after every game. I really don't know why we don't, unless the first game ends up being a blowout with teams being obviously stacked.

And to be honest the 2 games of 5s/6s weren't particularly fun for the second set of teams. The first two teams likely had fun because they had the best players. Neither of the games we played were close or all that enjoyable.

TylerMarket

Heisenberg.
We can still do a best of 3 with the current format, instead of repicking after every game. I really don't know why we don't, unless the first game ends up being a blowout with teams being obviously stacked.

And to be honest the 2 games of 5s/6s weren't particularly fun for the second set of teams. The first two teams likely had fun because they had the best players. Neither of the games we played were close or all that enjoyable.
I had fun but only because i was winning:D

Application-1

test bester
Also the 11v11 was a great game. Would not mind more of that. 12v12 is pushing it probably and 13v13 sounds like a nono.

The problem isn't that the lesser players get pushed in 1 group for pugs and that makes it of less quality. No the problem is that most (not all) lesser players don't use mics and that just makes it less fun. Listening to the other pug with the better players was great cause everyone talks. And even when losing as long as everyone is pitching in and working together it is a lot more fun. Instead of 2-3 people having to make the calls and 3-4 others just being quiet.

Also it was increadibly clear that most of the 2nd pug group did not like this idea. Please speak up next time.

Sin

Private Tester

I really want to know why you blame us for the games not being close. We picked the best players, and left you with what looked like a balanced group to me. Teams being unbalanced at that point isn't our fault, it's your captain's.

The problem isn't that the lesser players get pushed in 1 group for pugs and that makes it of less quality. No the problem is that most (not all) lesser players don't use mics and that just makes it less fun. Listening to the other pug with the better players was great cause everyone talks. And even when losing as long as everyone is pitching in and working together it is a lot more fun. Instead of 2-3 people having to make the calls and 3-4 others just being quiet.

Also it was increadibly clear that most of the 2nd pug group did not like this idea. Please speak up next time.

Seriously speak up. The better players can have dominating personalities, but what do you expect? We're there to win usually. For us that's the fun part most of the time. Typing in the TS chat isn't going to get anyone's attention if we're preparing for the next game. Use your mic. Not using your mic during pugs is just stupid, communication is a huge part of the game. If you're shy, whatever. Break out of your shell. Good comms = good team.

12v12 sounds like aids

because it is

and if you're going to do 2x 6v6, why wouldn't you randomize teams?

this would just have awfully unbalanced teams.

I want to get some more opinions from the players who played in the lower tier pugs and see what they thought was going wrong. Seems to me like the popular opinion here is that they want to be carried and told what to do.

Jello

Contributor
There was nothing wrong with the 2 pugs, the one I played that was 5v5 and or 6v6 was pretty fun although I found out Tyler is a better chaser than me...how? I don't know, but they were fun, well at least for me....I would actually like the games to be like that when theres 12v12 and maybe 11v11 for a 10v10? that's just killing the PUGs entirely

Xtreme

shaska's bff
this would just have awfully unbalanced teams.

Not necessarily. Maybe randomize wasn't the right word - if you want 2x 6v6, why not distribute the better picks among the four teams so that they're forced to 1) play against each other and 2) encourage and synergize with the more casual players? I mean I didn't play this weekend, but it's not hard to imagine what happened. How do you expect pickups to keep going if we don't keep them fun for everyone?

Also, could we try having some TDM pickups as well? I think it'd be cool as a warmup or something

tree

My problem with the all the lesser players in one group was that there wasn't really any challenge because most of the players are either as good as me or slightly worse (I consider myself a mid-tier pick when I am playing well). And as for the stomps; I don't think that was a case of the captains picking badly, just that if one player played extremely well/poorly, that would heavily impact the team's outcome since we are all supposedly of the same skill level. I didn't have much of an issue with communication, but I think that at least 4 of us had mics, and I was on the winning team twice too so something was going right.

I MUCH prefer doing 6v6s though, and like Xtreme suggested, I think distributing the better players amongst the teams would be a good idea. Not a fan of a pre-PUG TDM though.

Sin

Private Tester
I would be open to a round-robin style of picking for four teams, but I foresee a pretty unbalanced pick phase if four captains are involved. You also then have to decide who plays who.

just that if one player played extremely well/poorly, that would heavily impact the team's outcome since we are all supposedly of the same skill level.

The players in the lower pickup were definitely not all of the same skill level. Tyler is underrated as a player, and some players are overrated. That's why the captains have to pick accordingly. It's not just shotgun picking, you have to think out your team.

Pre-pug TDM doesn't seem like it would do the pugs any good. I'm not a fan of TDM and I think it would just make people not want to come for the first ~15 minutes of pugs just so they could skip it. We have enough trouble getting people to step up and captain already.

Jello

Contributor
Instead of TDM why not TeamRabbit or Rabbit? Haven't played those in a while and it should give everyone a chance to play.

TylerMarket

Heisenberg.
12V12 BLADERUN Time to become men boys.
COME PLAY WITH US PLZ:oops::oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want to get some more opinions from the players who played in the lower tier pugs and see what they thought was going wrong. Seems to me like the popular opinion here is that they want to be carried and told what to do.
I think the honest answer is that people like playing against/with better players... with such a small community and such little opportunities to play the game often the only way to get better is to play against much better players. It also makes it feel more like a competition when there are better players rather than just a normal game. As a result the people in the "low tier" game have much less enthusiasm than they would if they felt it being more of a competition.

PS again: my mind is scattered and i'm tired so if anyone needs more elaboration please ask

Fixious

Test Lead
I wouldn't be totally against what Accel did during the one Zenith game, putting me and Pop on LD. Not saying I want to be LD from now on or anything, but mixing it up a bit might be nice. It would at least let people improve in areas we're not all that used to.

We did get 5 caps somehow...