PUB etiquette and the unspoken rules by Propkid

Propkid

This post is my personal view of the way PUBs should be played. For anyone that’s wondering why am I drilling this topic: it’s becoming hot again, especially with the mortar spam/llama/HOes whine spreading out. A while back it was really ‘trendy’ to talk about PuGs on the forums as they were the thing that clearly needed community attention. Now that PuGs are all good I think it’s time to pay some more attention to our approach to PUBs. After all it is them that will decide upon the success/popularity of L:O. Not everyone will be playing organized games, it never is like that.

Why am I the one to do this? I’ve been a low-end PUBs player ever since IA and I’ve noticed that I tend to enjoy them more than the majority of current vets and so do my PUB teams (usually). I’ve also noticed that newbloods tend to listen to me because I actually talk to them, quite often individually. They like being ordered around a little as long as they start winning afterwards/ the game becomes more fun.

So here it is; a list of ‘rules’ that will hopefully provide a GG to both vets and newbloods if just a few sensible people on the server follow them. They are mostly aimed at the forum community, as I have seen your approach to and opinion about PUBs.

1. Do the dirty work yourself if you are a vet. (Realistic self-assessment recommended)

This one is long-established, but it needs an emphasis. If your team can’t get hold of the enemy flag and you find yourself being the most skilled player wearing a blue uniform then you are the one who’s meant to be capping/ providing cap opportunities by playing LO. If you find that you are in a team full of eager kids that leave the base empty when your flag is taken, then you are the one who should stop the llamas and become a stay-D.​

2. Always try to balance the game SCORE-WISE.

I cannot emphasize this enough in game. PUBs are not competitive games, they are there for people to have fun. Notice the detail: they aren’t there for solely you/your team to have fun, but for both teams. If your team is winning by 4+ points and it doesn’t look as if the situation is going to change, you need to switch teams. If you’re on the losing team and nobody wants to switch, try harder (and rage/link other team's members to this thread). The number of players on each team does not matter, the game should be balanced skill-wise. If winning by means of unfair teams in a PUB excites you and is your main target in game, then you should probably take a cold shower, go out, abuse some substances and have a 2 hour walk in the forest/on the beach to understand something big about life that you’re missing out.

3. Rely on your team, especially if they are awful newbloods.

This is aimed at people like RipTack who are a one-man army in PUBs and make their team feel like they’re only good for cannon fodder (no offence rip ^^). It’s not a big issue, but it still makes the rookies feel alienated and useless (I’ve gone through that myself). If your team already has 3 chasers returning the flag or 3 Ds then just let them handle it themselves; there’s no need for you to fly around and show everyone that you can do this and that better than they. If they’re massively failing at a task then just babysit them: LO to help them grab, cover them to help them return with the flag, D to help them touchdown etc. That is how they’ll learn to play the game better; they won’t learn anything by looking at you pewpew half of the enemy team in 10 seconds. Once again, the PUB isn’t for your own personal enjoyment.​

4. Talk to your team, especially if they are awful newbloods.

That is how you make them reliable. You might not realize this (or you might know this too well) but sometimes you are The Guy to them, the pro on the server. Sometimes it means respect, but almost always it means authority that you should take an advantage of. Try to organize a proper stay-home D, LO and a capper, then take the best fitting position yourself according to rule 3 and rule 1. If you wanna talk to them in person (ie more specific than [We need more defence]) then you should get to know them or at least their playstyle. Trying to assign an eager capper to stay-home D will not work well and won’t earn you many points. If a capper is taking too many RJs tell him so and make sure he understood. If your team has an unaware O-sniper (unaware of how wrong his playstyle is) then tell him to D-snipe/ explain what D-sniping is. Rookies like it when a pro talks to them and they are ready to take any advice.​

5. Pay attention to first timers, take time to help out/ if a newblood is repetetively doing something wrong, tell them so.

If you see someone who is clearly struggling with skiing/movement/capping/fighting then please take care to help them out. Quite often you’ll see these people in rather empty servers. Just take them to the side/another server and start teaching them how to play the game. You can do so for the people that know the basics too, you just need to have a good eye for people’s potential. One day you might see that rookie you schooled playing competitively or even being better than you. I can’t help it but mention Vertex who began to play L:O relatively late and has received enough attention and schooling from others to catch up with or even surpass a lot of the old IA vets.​

6. Newblood dedicated clause: acknowledge the authority of players that are more experienced than you.

All of the effort taken by the vets in following the above rules will be rendered useless if they are stuck with 12yr old stuck-up eager kids (no offence, but some of you kids are awful ^^). A good game requires cooperation from both the small part of the server which knows what it’s doing and the large part of the server which is still learning. I can’t stress enough how many times has Paraelisa raised my pulse by desperately OD-E-grabbing/llamaing the flag when I’m playing the only capper and I’m on a high speed route. The same rule applies to the rookies as to the vets: PUBs aren’t solely for your entertainment, especially if it messes up the fun for others. The vets won’t sacrifice all of their fun so that you can do what you think is... well, I’ve got no idea what Paraelisa is thinking every time I rage at him ^^.​

7. Every tactic is allowed as long as it’s effective.

O-sniping just might be an exception in this case, but sometimes newbloods come up with genius ideas... or they just decide to spam mortars. If they are being useless then tell them to make a better use of the gun, but even if they are getting free skill-less kills then let them be. If they are llamaing (the still-hot topic in game) in the right moment and they manage to cap the flag several times then also let them be. Yes, there are better ways to cap the flag but eventually the metagame (the game of the game... complicated MMO-related term) will react to this and llamas won’t be possible anymore due to a very aware defence. SO, as long as the rookie is doing something that’s useful for the team, let them continue. Even if it’s pissing the hell out of you.​

That’s it; this is my opinion. You may discuss/suggest/whine/ tl;dr etc. If you bring up a good point it might just change my opinion and I’ll edit the post. I tend to be persuaded quite a lot on these forums, so feel free to go all out on me.
/exit stage Propkid

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
4. Talk to your team, especially if they are awful newbloods.

That is how you make them reliable. You might not realize this (or you might know this too well) but sometimes you are The Guy to them, the pro on the server. Sometimes it means respect, but almost always it means authority that you should take an advantage of. Try to organize a proper stay-home D, LO and a capper, then take the best fitting position yourself according to rule 3 and rule 1. If you wanna talk to them in person (ie more specific than [We need more defence]) then you should get to know them or at least their playstyle. Trying to assign an eager capper to stay-home D will not work well and won’t earn you many points. If a capper is taking too many RJs tell him so and make sure he understood. If your team has an unaware O-sniper (unaware of how wrong his playstyle is) then tell him to D-snipe/ explain what D-sniping is. Rookies like it when a pro talks to them and they are ready to take any advice.​

Totally agree with this point, having the highest score on the leader board is almost always essential for this though.

Propkid

Totally agree with this point, having the highest score on the leader board is almost always essential for this though.
Works really easy for me. I myself admit that I'm better at scorewhoring than at L:O itself, and I'm strangely popular among the rookies :D. If you spend enough time in PUBs without many other vets around you will eventually become recognized.

RiPTaCk

First of all, almost a whole paragraph devoted to me, I'm honored.

3. Rely on your team, especially if they are awful newbloods.

This is aimed at people like RipTack who are a one-man army in PUBs and make their team feel like they’re only good for cannon fodder (no offence rip ^^). It’s not a big issue, but it still makes the rookies feel alienated and useless (I’ve gone through that myself). If your team already has 3 chasers returning the flag or 3 Ds then just let them handle it themselves; there’s no need for you to fly around and show everyone that​
you can do this and that better than they.​
I'm sorry if it comes off as I am a one-man army but I assure you I am not.​
Now a question. Can you imagine how many games I am the only on offense getting sniped/mortared/killed before even coming close to the flag? Now I'm sorry but sometimes I just can't be bothered about it anymore and stay home chasing or whatever, and if my attitude(-->Crying 100 times [We need more offense!]^^) may hurt others then I'm sorry but it is the truth. I don't do this in order to win the game but to bring back the speed/gameflow/fun. There are so many maps where people just stack D and that's not bringing any fun at all.​
That is how they’ll learn to play the game better; they won’t learn anything by looking at you pewpew half of the enemy team in 10 seconds. Once again, the PUB isn’t for your own personal enjoyment.
This may sound arroggant but at the beginning I learned everything by looking at the other players and trying to copy them. Most of the older player actually learned it that way too. At the beginning of my career, Sixdevil ,the other .fi's, In7 and NuLL were the ones dominating Euro Pubs and my goal was to be as good as them sometimes. Also I still feel as if I haven't surpassed any of them because nowadays they are all rusty.;)

I can’t stress enough how many times has Paraelisa raised my pulse by desperately OD-E-grabbing/llamaing the flag when I’m playing the only capper and I’m on a high speed route. The same rule applies to the rookies as to the vets: PUBs aren’t solely for your entertainment, especially if it messes up the fun for others. The vets won’t sacrifice all of their fun so that you can do what you think is... well, I’ve got no idea what Paraelisa is thinking every time I rage at him ^^.
As for the example of paraelisa. What you are describing is exactly what every new player does. Grabbing the flag no matter what.
And I'm sorry but the way you act to him contradicts to your 5. paragraph if he is not a 12yr old stuck-up eager kid.

Bullets

Nice guide :)

To be fair, this game is very newb-unfriendly. The difference in skill between a seasoned vet and a new player is absolutely huge. Not to mention the pretty steep learning-curve.

When I first started playing (back in the IA days) I o-sniped and llama'ed because I didn't know wtf I was doing and it seemed like a genuinely good way to help the team. The amount of abuse and taunts I got back were crazy (but then disci left the PUB and everything was normal again ;)) and I don't think the situation's changed much nowadays.

It definitely doesn't help when there's lots of childish twats shouting out torrents of abuse to any llama or osniper and taunting after every kill. And the number of smurfs trolling is ridiculous nowadays.

Would really like to see some future tutorial thing for the game/at least some vids to teach new players when the game comes out of beta or whatever.

Disci

Old man
:(

Yeah, I rage on pubs sometimes, but just because I don't have all the time in the world to play games. When I do play I expect to be able to enjoy them. This is mostly the reason I don't play much/at all anymore.

Bullets

Yeah, I rage on pubs sometimes, but just because I don't have all the time in the world to play games. When I do play I expect to be able to enjoy them. This is mostly the reason I don't play much/at all anymore.

I was just kidding about you raging mate ;)

But seriously some PUBs nowadays are just ragefests.

Noober

i've tryed to talk paraelisa and let him know some route by following me... but it was just too concentrate for grab/od/lamma the flag and i think he doesn't read the chat lol :D.

however i have seen pro players rage against noob players too much times :(. "*dance* you stupid noob" "go home americans/europeans (when someone play bad with high ping)" "there is better online game to play like poker" ecc.. ecc...
there is so few players on this game that every noob must be consider like a gold future player... and be angry with them, insult them, just result as they probably leave!
then you will can play your match against 4 very very pro clans.. and in 1 year this game will be dead.

Propkid

This may sound arroggant but at the beginning I learned everything by looking at the other players and trying to copy them. Most of the older player actually learned it that way too. At the beginning of my career, Sixdevil ,the other .fi's, In7 and NuLL were the ones dominating Euro Pubs and my goal was to be as good as them sometimes. Also I still feel as if I haven't surpassed any of them because nowadays they are all rusty.;)
Not everyone can learn by watching, some people need to do the stuff to understand it (not everyone is as skilled). You sure did learn like that, I did too. I was a rookie back when Kasity and others that you've mentioned were pewpewing in IA. Back then whenever I was up against Kasity I knew I'll lose, but when he was on my team I really did feel like cannon fodder.
You might feel as if you are bringing the 'speed and flow' back to the game by doing everything and being everywhere (sometimes you really are a one-man army :p), but it's just the score that will grow faster. Every newblood around you is still snailing about, knowing even worse what to do as they don't feel needed anywhere. Sure, the other team somewhat learns what to do when they see you pewpew, but they just as well get the point if your team does the job instead if you

As for the example of paraelisa. What you are describing is exactly what every new player does. Grabbing the flag no matter what.
And I'm sorry but the way you act to him contradicts to your 5. paragraph if he is not a 12yr old stuck-up eager kid.
Paraelisa isn't exactly a completely new player. He puts up a good fight as for a rookie and is quite base-aware on D (he knows where I'm hiding as LO etc.). The problem with him is that he never even speaks, except occasional [Take the flag from me!] and 'gggggggg' or 'eeeeeeeeeeee' (which confuses me). I still try to provide him feedback, though by now this feedback is covered in a deep-fried anger and caps-lock.

And Rip, no worries really. I just took you as an example because you were the last person that made me feel like if I'm useless back in IA.
but the real reason is that I was afraid of a kasity's witty response if i used him...

I don't think anyone would play this game if it weren't for their own personal enjoyment.

PUBs aren’t solely for your entertainment, especially if it messes up the fun for others

solely

sole·ly

[sohl-lee] Show IPA

adverb
as the only one or ones: solely responsible.

exclusively or only: plants found solely in the tropics.

PUBs aren't there for people to fight among each other for the enjoyment. The cake should be shared equally between everyone, that way the greatest amount of the cake will be handed out and the game will be enjoyed the most.
And now please, go read and stop being a tryhard hater of 80% the things I post, thank you.

:(Yeah, I rage on pubs sometimes
however i have seen pro players rage against noob players too much times :(. "*dance* you stupid noob" "go home americans/europeans (when someone play bad with high ping)" "there is better online game to play like poker" ecc.. ecc...
there is so few players on this game that every noob must be consider like a gold future player... and be angry with them, insult them, just result as they probably leave!
then you will can play your match against 4 very very pro clans.. and in 1 year this game will be dead.
Honestly, I consider raging a part of rule 4, but taken to the extreme. Some people don't listen when you just talk to them, but eg. today I motivated up a guy named something like {GR}GreatTitan to stop mortar spamming and iOD grabbing on Stygian by... well first raging and arguing then doing just one TK when he was camping in enemy base tunnels. He instantly switched to OR for the next 3 games and went all LO/capper.
It's amazing what talking with sense can do, even if the talk is... violent.

curser656

i've tryed to talk paraelisa and let him know some route by following me... but it was just too concentrate for grab/od/lamma the flag and i think he doesn't read the chat lol :D.

"It seems the world has become split between two sides who refuse to accept each others existence."
Well that's what I think of when I see rage noobs vs. calm vets.
Back in IA days, I got zero help from the vets at the time so It would be nice to see people actually coaching the noobs.
I'm by no means amazing and I def can't go higher than third on the score board, so I don't think they'd listen to me..

MJ1284

Same here. After long day of work all you REALLY want is to sit down to enjoy a good match or two... but in Legions it'll occasionally take ridiculous amount of effort (and luck) to find good matches. And that should NEVER happen in Online games, I've had more success finding good servers on L4D and Alien Swarm despite knowing players average age is far below Legions community's average age... paradox much?

Thank goodness there's still great single player games, I would have given up on video gaming ages ago if they wouldn't have made single player games after year 2000.