Port Forwarding - Hosting a Server on Public Test (Without Hamachi)

aus.hsp

Private Tester
Port Fowarding (Without Hamachi)

Port forwarding is a current method of hosting servers in public test. Triad and a few other developers might bring back the old IA, FE:L style of hosting games, but that will not be implemented in the near future; so for now, get used to port forwarding. The following is a very "simple" and "half-arsed" way of explaining port forwarding. www.portforward.com also contains tutorials for different modem routers, so feel free to use that, if this tutorial does not help you.

What is Port Fowarding?

Port forwarding is the process that your router or firewall uses to sort the right kind of network data to the right port. Computers and routers use ports as a way to organise network data. Different types of data, such as web sites, file downloads, and online games, are each assigned a port number. By using port forwarding, the router or firewall sends the correct data to the correct place.

How to Port Forward?

Before I list the steps of port forwarding, it is important to remember that the method of port forwarding is different for different modem routers. To make it easier to understand this tutorial, I will be using my modem router, Belkin F5D5630au4, to demonstrate the process.

If you need any help with port forwarding non-Belkin modem router brands/models please PM me or post on this thread. NOTE: This is not for dedicated servers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Make sure your modem router is connected properly! -_-

2) Open Command Prompt, Open Run, Type cmd, Click OK.

3) In Command Prompt, Type “ipconfig' (without the quotation marks).

4) The first block of information should be regarding Local Area Connection (LAN). Find your Default Gateway and Type it into the URL bar in your internet browser. For example, for my default gateway is 10.1.1.1

5) A log in screen should pop-up. This step will vary for different routers, you need a username and password or just password to access your modem router. If you have changed your router's password then type that in; if not, the brand's default password will be used. For example, the default Belkin (10.1.1.1) password is: admin

Ø To find your modem router's default password go to: www.routerpasswords.com

From this point on, I can only make reference to Belkin modem routers as different routers have different settings and different ways to change these settings. However, it should be similar to other brands.

6) After you have logged in, go to Advanced Setup.

7) Then, Click on the category NAT (Network Address Translation).

8) Under NAT, a sub category named, Port Forwarding, will appear, click on it.

In the next section, a number of ports may have to be forwarded, as Legions has a range of public ports... for many reasons, which are irrelevant to this tutorial. I have only two ports forwarded – as it worked after the second try.

9) In the 'Description' box, type in whatever you want, preferably something to do with Legions: Overdrive. For example, in my description box is, [AU] Legions. In the second 'Description' box, I have “[AU] Legions 2'.

10) In the first Public Port, type: 28001 and in the second, type: 28002

For Protocol Type you want to select BOTH TCP & UDP!!!

11) Where it says LAN IP Address, Go back to your Command Prompt and again under the first block of information, locate IPv4 Address; Type this into both LAN IP Address boxes. For example, my LAN IP Address is 10.1.1.2

12) For LAN Port - This will vary for everyone. For example, at the moment on my modem router only one LAN port is being used - connected to my computer, therefore if I have four ports - 2, 3, 4 are free. Therefore, in the first LAN port box, type 2 and in the second, type 3. Remember, this depends on how many LAN ports are being used on your modem router.

13) Tick the 'Enable' box and save settings.

14) You can now log-out and close the window, as you will not need it again (unless something goes wrong - let's hope not!)

15) Launch Legions in Public Test mode.

16) Create a server/game and start the game.

17) Open your console in game (Ctrl+~).

18) Firstly, type this line of code “$Host::BroadcastMaster=True' (Without quotes).

19) Hit enter for the above code; then type this line of code “Network::startHeartbeats()' (Without quotes).

20) Your server should appear for users to join, however, if for some unknown reason they can't, tell them to open their console and type the following: Client::joinServer("YOUR IP -THE HOST - NOT THE PERSON JOINING : (COLON) 28001/28002");

Ø For example, Client::joinServer("275.182.19.92:28001")
Ø To find out your IP Address, I recommend - http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Ø Tell those connecting to your server to try 28001 - if this does not work, tell them to try 28002. It is confirmed that my server is working on 28001 and not 28002, so I can now send a link, knowing that people should be able to join on 28001.

21) Enjoy your server! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember if you have any questions regarding port forwarding please PM or post on this thread. I will try and help to the best of my ability!

Good luck!

Kind Regards,
Pete.

~Approved by: Triad

aus.hsp

Private Tester
Modem Routers I have assisted in Port Forwarding:

• Belkin F5D5630au4
  • Billion BiPAC-7300RA
  • D-Link DIR-600
  • Actiontec M1424WR
  • Cisco DCP2325
---RESERVED---

UPDATE:
Steps 17-20 no longer have to be performed... As soon as you create a server, heartbeats should send automatically.

------------------------------------------
----------------------
---------

Royalty

The Aussie
Also, if you don't want to type in those two commands into the console every time you make a server, download this. The default password for Admin Panel is <3Disaster. Follow these instructions to set it up:
  1. When you make a server, press F5, which will launch Admin panel. Type in the above password.
  2. Change the default password. Password number 0 is the one that you will want to know and password number 1 is the one that you will give to server admins (if you wish to have them). NOTE: YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO DO THIS STEP ONCE
  3. Press start/stop broadcasting

aus.hsp

Private Tester
still can't find the username and password for Dlink DIR-600 :(

Tried "admin"?

EDIT:
  • Or try... Username: admin - Password: blank (nothing in the field - just hit enter).
  • Try: "password" - without quotations.
  • Issue Solved via PM - password may have been changed previously (no record kept); reset modem router to factory settings by following the manual that came with it.

trinium

Private Tester
can you guys hit me up on the forums and ts3 and let me know if your having issues getting your servers to run (after doing ^) if you have multiple IP's or network adapters.

trinium

Private Tester
Thanks for some of the feedback, I have been able to confirm that there are some issue w/ getting servers to show up in the master. However, if all routing is done correctly you CAN still connect to the server by joining the ip/hostname directly from console (ctrl+~) the command is as follows:

client::joinserver("24.123.456.789:28001");

Feel free to msg me on TS3 or Forums (although i lag on checking msgs here) if you have any questions.

Thx,
Trinium

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Everyone needs to STOP using Hamachi, I'm just putting this out there. Port forward takes as much effort as setting Hamachi up, just make sure your firewall is configured correctly!

Royalty

The Aussie
I created this guide due to an increasing amount of "Can't create a server"/"People can't see my server" posts.

The following guide will show you how to set up your own server and ensure that it can be seen and joined by others.

This involves two processes:
  • Port Forwarding on your router
  • Port Forwarding via your firewall
BOTH OF THESE PROCESSES ARE NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR SERVER VISABLE!

Port forwarding is a current method of hosting servers in public test. Triad and a few other developers might bring back the old IA, FE:L style of hosting games, but that will not be implemented in the near future; so for now, get used to port forwarding. The following is a very "simple" and "half-arsed" way of explaining port forwarding. www.portforward.comalso contains tutorials for different modem routers, so feel free to use that, if this tutorial does not help you.

What is Port Fowarding?

Port forwarding is the process that your router or firewall uses to sort the right kind of network data to the right port. Computers and routers use ports as a way to organise network data. Different types of data, such as web sites, file downloads, and online games, are each assigned a port number. By using port forwarding, the router or firewall sends the correct data to the correct place.

How to Port Forward?

Before I list the steps of port forwarding, it is important to remember that the method of port forwarding is different for different modem routers. To make it easier to understand this tutorial, I will be using my modem router, Belkin F5D5630au4, to demonstrate the process.

If you need any help with port forwarding non-Belkin modem router brands/models please PM me or post on this thread. NOTE: This is not for dedicated servers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROUTER PORT FORWARDING

1) Make sure your modem router is connected properly! -_-

2) Open Command Prompt, Open Run, Type cmd, Click OK.

3) In Command Prompt, Type “ipconfig' (without the quotation marks).

4) The first block of information should be regarding Local Area Connection (LAN). Find your Default Gateway and Type it into the URL bar in your internet browser. For example, for my default gateway is 10.1.1.1

5) A log in screen should pop-up. This step will vary for different routers, you need a username and password or just password to access your modem router. If you have changed your router's password then type that in; if not, the brand's default password will be used. For example, the default Belkin (10.1.1.1) password is: admin

Ø To find your modem router's default password go to: www.routerpasswords.com

From this point on, I can only make reference to Belkin modem routers as different routers have different settings and different ways to change these settings. However, it should be similar to other brands.

6) After you have logged in, go to Advanced Setup.

7) Then, Click on the category NAT (Network Address Translation).

8) Under NAT, a sub category named, Port Forwarding, will appear, click on it.

In the next section, a number of ports may have to be forwarded, as Legions has a range of public ports... for many reasons, which are irrelevant to this tutorial. I have only two ports forwarded – as it worked after the second try.

9) In the 'Description' box, type in whatever you want, preferably something to do with Legions: Overdrive. For example, in my description box is, [AU] Legions. In the second 'Description' box, I have “[AU] Legions 2'.

10) In the first Public Port, type: 28001 and in the second, type: 28002

For Protocol Type you want to select BOTH TCP & UDP!!!

11) Where it says LAN IP Address, Go back to your Command Prompt and again under the first block of information, locate IPv4 Address; Type this into both LAN IP Address boxes. For example, my LAN IP Address is 10.1.1.2

12) For LAN Port - This will vary for everyone. For example, at the moment on my modem router only one LAN port is being used - connected to my computer, therefore if I have four ports - 2, 3, 4 are free. Therefore, in the first LAN port box, type 2 and in the second, type 3. Remember, this depends on how many LAN ports are being used on your modem router.

13) Tick the 'Enable' box and save settings.

14) You can now log-out and close the window, as you will not need it again (unless something goes wrong - let's hope not!)

FIREWALL PORT FORWARDING

You will need to make 6 rules for this step:
  • Outbound Program (1)
  • Outbound Port (2)
  • Inbound Program (1)
  • Inbound Port (2)
Outbound Program:
1) Open Windows Firewall.

2) Click on the "Outbound Rules Tab"

3) Click "New Rule"

4) Click "Program"

5) Choose program path for "legions.exe"

6) Click "Allow the connection"

7) Tick "Domain", "Private" and "Public"

8) Name it "Legions (Program)" (for neatness)

9) Click "Finish"

Outbound Port:
1) Open Windows Firewall

2) Click on the "Outbound Rules Tab"

3) Click "New Rule"

4) Click "Port"

5) Choose TCP. Choose "Specific Ports". Enter: 28001-28002

8) Name it "Legions (TCP)" (for neatness)

9) Click "Finish"

10) Repeat this process, however choosing UDP, and naming it "Legions UDP" (for neatness)

Inbound Program:
1) Open Windows Firewall.

2) Click on the "Inbound Rules Tab"

3) Click "New Rule"

4) Click "Program"

5) Choose program path for "legions.exe"

8) Name it "Legions (Program)" (for neatness)

9) Click "Finish"

Inbound Port:
1) Open Windows Firewall

2) Click on the "Inbound Rules Tab"

3) Click "New Rule"

4) Click "Port"

5) Choose TCP. Choose "Specific Ports". Enter: 28001-28002

8) Name it "Legions (TCP)" (for neatness)

9) Click "Finish"

10) Repeat this process, however choosing UDP, and naming it "Legions UDP" (for neatness)

YOU'RE DONE!!!

Now just open Legions, and make your new server!!! (ensure that you select "yes" under "public")

If you have any questions- don't hesitate to PM me, or make a post below!

Good luck!

Credit:
A big thank you to aus.hsp/hardstylepete/aushardstyle, who made the "Router" portion of the post!
Thanks to the devs for this fantastic game!

Jello

Contributor
I'm using Belkin and I've done everything correctly and still nothing shows up on the server list.... do I check or uncheck the boxes for the Domain, Private, Public...?

http://ls.xzanth.com/

Last edited:

SNAKEOPS

I notice in other games, you can host a game yourself.

Can Legions, when you install it, make your router able to port forward or whatever?

Jello

Contributor
Public would make the most sense...
What do you mean? use public test instead of live or put the server as public instead of private? <---(I put server as public still nothing, guess ill try pub test)

server/preferences/config.cs

Make sure you have:
$Host::BroadcastMaster = false;
to:
$Host::BroadcastMaster = true;
Defender told me to do the same thing and i did but still nothing..

I have the old version of the launcher/game but i'll go ahead and download new one, i wanna see if it makes a difference even though it shouldnt..

Last edited: