Metreon

Current relevant system specs:
MSI 890FX-GD70
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
BFG Nvidia 9800GT (512Mb)
Old Monitor: Acer 22" 16:10 (DVI)
New Monitor: HP 20" 16:9 (DVI)

All drivers are up-to-date with stable releases.

Anyway, my dear old monitor had developed dead pixel lines. So, I acquired a new one on epic sale. I connected it and the system adjusted the display res for it seamlessly.

However, when I fired up Legions, I had two odd things happen. The first was that the authentication/updater crashed. (I'd say about 50% of the times I tried.) It didn't spew anything helpful in the Windows error logs, either. I rebooted, and this stopped entirely.

However, the second problem was even more bizarre. I got a grey screen for legions, and then two DirectX error dialogs. The first said that an error occurred and to ensure I was up-to-date, and the second (one that was far more Windows 98-esque in appearance) said something about being unable to draw frames, followed by gobbledygook. (I do know how to read M$ese, and this was actual gobbledygook Sadly, screenshots resulted in a blank grey screen, which has always been a problem for me and Legions- and I didn't have a camera.)

No other DirectX game I had did anything like this, 9 OR 10.

Rebooting didn't help. However, when I switched back to the old monitor, Legions worked fine.

Back to the new one: same fail.

The solution turned out to be a complete deletion and reinstall of Legions. It works fine now, but that was whack. I mean, it was like trying to play Rogue Squadron on Windows ME all over again.

Metreon

I should also add that prior to swapping the monitors, I typically ran legions in fullscreen mode (1680x1024.) After re-installing, it reverted to and worked in windowed mode, at which point I set it to the new monitor's resolution (1600x900) in fullscreen and it worked fine.