Newbloods, skill curves, and so forth

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
the community is barely striving to have people in the servers.. if you want to play based on skill make skilled servers... cod has hardcore mode and just regular.

Wouldn't hurt to have two game types.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'm going to pull an example from the Quake gametypes here, because that's what will make sense to you people about the gametypes'.

In Quake Live, CTF is not the most played game type (its second most, not including duel) Why? Because of the complex tactics. Clan Arena is much more appealing to newer players as you already have all the weapons, and the objective is to just kill everyone. Simples.

I'm not sure if anyone around here has released, but CTF is not fun if you have never played it before.
Even though I had played legions CTF before, when I started Quake CTF, I was bored with it, quite quickly in fact. It was because I didn't know what to do apart from get the enemy flag, and defend ours. Actually lets rephrase that, I didn't know how to accomplish those goals using the quake Gameplay, even though I knew what to do. This is the exact same thing in legions. On the Old IA help button when playing the game, it just said go get the flag and bring it back home, nothing about the ways you could do it.

This goes for the other gametypes as well like Duel (Which I've only started to get reasonable at now) and TDM, which I still have no idea how to win.

I'm gonna keep it to that, otherwise I'll end up ranting.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
A learning curve is how long/difficult it is to understand the game. It can be reduced through tutorials and whatnot. A skill gap is the gap between good and bad players. It should not be reduced (I want it to be increased, actually). Can someone please define skill curve?

ctf isn't fun to new players, maybe even boring. New players can't ski, that means they can't cap or chase. Pretty much all they can do is llama and duel. It's not fun waiting around a base for people to shoot at, nor is it fun waddling over to the enemy base, only to be outnumbered. Why not throw them into a new player only DM, where they can have fun mindlessly shooting at one another?

Yar, I think we need to come to an agreement on what 'skill curve' means. For Seymour, it's the ease that a new player can come into the game and begin to enjoy it. Not necessarily become skilled, but just to be able to say, 'Wow, this is fun. I want to learn more!' and go from there. I'm not expecting players to become skilled right away, this can be an unforgiving game, but I would like new players to be able to enjoy themselves.

I also like Shade's DM idea, and it does make sense. A player who's new to the game is not going to be concerned about how to defend or properly grab a flag, they're going to be more interested in flying, skiing, and shooting at other players. I'd even be open to more of a 'sand castle'-style gametype, DM without an objective, just a server that allows players to try different weapons/armours, fight, ski, get used to the terrain, and general tomfoolery. Maps will still rotate at 25 minute intervals, but there will be no 'score cap' (though kills/deaths will still be recorded).

PuppyGuard

Instant Action made cap route, mid air, and skiing tutorials for FE:L on a Facebook application to attract a bigger audience and help them learn how to play. It made a big appeal with the Facebook community but for some reason that I'm not aware of, it quickly died off.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I don't believe Daphini or Chi-Ro are talking about making the game easier or simplified, but more about easing players into Legions: Overdrive's style of gameplay. Tutorials would be one method, but Seymour also believes there's other areas of improvement to make the game more appealing without 'lowering the skill cap' or what have you.
^This.

A learning curve is how long/difficult it is to understand the game. It can be reduced through tutorials and whatnot.
^And this.

I meant learning curve, did you really think it meant anything else? Also, while I'd hate to put words in his mouth I'm fairly sure Daph fully understood and means the same.

Please tell me these huge walls of text back and forth aren't because you thought we meant something else Floks...

And if not, you don't think the learning curve should be better? Either way, this is way out of hand for a simple fact, the game is hard and most people quit because of it. That needs to be fixed one way or another, the devs know it, and will obviously do their best to fix it.

Lock?

Also, as I'm the one who mistakenly said "Skill Curve" then I'll define it.

Learning Curve.

It's defined, that's what the post meant from the beginning.

/end thread

Mabeline

God-Tier
Whenever a dev talks about reducing the difficulty curve it's about getting newer players having fun faster. Currently it just takes too long from joining the game to having fun.

Shade

Private Tester
I meant learning curve, did you really think it meant anything else?

You either ment learning curve or skill gap, I wasn't sure which. Saying "Skill Curve" was confusing.

And if not, you don't think the learning curve should be better? Either way, this is way out of hand for a simple fact, the game is hard and most people quit because of it. That needs to be fixed one way or another, the devs know it, and will obviously do their best to fix it.

It seems Floks wants the learning curve reduced, based on his support of tutorials. He didn't want a smaller skill gap (correct me if I'm wrong, Floks).

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Hooray for miscommunications instigating flamewars! =)

Yeah, I was going with "learning curve" too. Sorry if it all came out weird because of the confusion.

Thread ended, at the request of the original poster (or, conversation instigator, anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.