New laptop

Frost

Currently running a crappy laptop with an ATI Radeon 3200 hd graphics, yea, laugh.

Thinking as a grad present I can get a new comp so what should I go for? note it needs to be a laptop.

preferred price range: low 1000's
max: 2000

considering: Battalion 101 x8100-U3, and Alienware M18x but again would prefer lower costs

Any help/info is appreciated, and I know almost nothing about computers (technical aspects) so explain fully please.

Frost

The control and Fn key are switched around, I'd never get used to it but I like that price!

Hoping for more suggestions/comments thanks.

A2

http://www.amazon.com/G53JW-XA1-Republic-Gamers-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00486USL8
Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
6GB DDR3 1066MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 16GB; Illuminated Keyboard
Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5
500GB HDD (7200RPM); Super-Multi Optical Drive; 802.11 b/g/n; 1x USB 3.0; 3x USB 2.0; 8-in-1 card reader; 2.0MP Webcam
15.6-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System

Looks pretty interesting at the price of about $1,299.00

RedInk

If you're still in college...
You need to get in on that "BUY A WINDOWS HOME PC AND GET A XBOX 360" deal.
Real hotstuff Frost.

Frost

It's nice and the price is sick but the "Fn" key is on the outside and the "ctrl" key is on the inside, won't be able to get used to it. And for the other one I don't really like Asus, tried some of their stuff out.

Any other recommendations?

Damn, that Alienware thing is just... vulgar. It is quite expensive, fragile, very ugly, and disappointing to work with. You really don't need system specs like that for a 15.6" screen, even if you are going to play Crysis 2 or something.

Is there any particular reason why you want a high end gaming laptop?

Frost

Damn, that Alienware thing is just... vulgar. It is quite expensive, fragile, very ugly, and disappointing to work with. You really don't need system specs like that for a 15.6" screen, even if you are going to play Crysis 2 or something.

Is there any particular reason why you want a high end gaming laptop?
Just for gaming, never had a chance to play on a good system before. Leaning more towards the m14x. I like the suggestions here but I also like the look of alienware so I don't mind the cost too much. Where do you get the ugly fragile and disappointing to work with from? Just for reference.

A friend of mine who own an alienware laptop, but check the reviews to hear a argumented opinion. Ugly is a personal point of view, fragile because it's such a highly sprung hardcore system, and disappointing because compared to midrange desktops with a decent monitor it's not nearly as nice to work/play with (small screen, high temperatures, uncomfy position, etc).

I guess I'm a sceptic when it comes to these things. In my eyes you shouldn't want to have top performance on a small display. It kind of ruins the point of having a portable system because it turns into an impractical beast, and it ruins the point of performance and quality because it has a small screen and is uncanny to work with. Solution: get a netbook/small laptop for doing stuff, and a small pc for games.

Abandoned

The one I'm using right now:

Asus K72Jr- Ty289v

17.3" HD+ Screen
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / VRAM DDR3 1GB
500GB HDD
4GB Memory / RAM
Win7 Premium OS

Although it's size, it's quite light for a 17.3" laptop. It runs Legions: Overdrive with 130 FPS if the resolution is lowered a little bit.
I would recommend it. A lot.