New Game - MIDAIR

Fixious

Test Lead
10917937_509070625899226_2908568232695293305_o.png

Jaymyster

I completely doubt this question will get any legitimate response but, is it possible to get a relative estimate as to when we'll be seeing some kind of gameplay teaser? I mean the game was playable at PAX so I would hope it wouldn't be too long for us to at least see a little ski here and dare. pwease?

Application-1

test bester
I completely doubt this question will get any legitimate response but, is it possible to get a relative estimate as to when we'll be seeing some kind of gameplay teaser? I mean the game was playable at PAX so I would hope it wouldn't be too long for us to at least see a little ski here and dare. pwease?
A legit response would be that showing a gameplay teaser before figuring out what the gameplay actually is going to be can only be a waste of time.
Plus people are stupid and will watch it and not realise things can change during alpha and beta wich makes it misleading for them.
Doubt they will just show something to fill the empty void of z-axis videogames that we all suffer from.

But hey I know nothing and am not a developer so you can hope.

Jaymyster

I mean I ultimately was asking for a relative estimate on when such would be available. Not to sound unappreciative of the deployable teasers cause honestly anything is an appetizer at this point. Just desperate to get a grip on the nature of the game.

I suppose I'll slip this to you all as well cause... Wth. But a source that I contacted that attended PAX did confirm that project z is indeed slower than legions in movement, not necessarily in combat.

Fixious

Test Lead
From what I understand it's closer to T1 and (probably more-so) T2. So if you want a feel for it, check out either of those for a somewhat close approximation. One can only assume it'll have smooth ski though, similar to Legions and T:A (and T:V). This has probably already been confirmed somewhere, but I'm too tired to remember or look it up. The demo they showed at PAX was basically an untextured T2 map (Damnation), which again reinforces the idea that it'll be similar to the first two Tribes games.

Just wait until Bugs checks in on this thread for a better answer I guess. I shouldn't really be talking about it all.

Disci

Old man
But a source that I contacted that attended PAX did confirm that project z is indeed slower than legions in movement, not necessarily in combat.
Legions went overboard when considering speed. Not the top speed you can achieve but acceleration how fast you can achieve those speeds. Mainly because of down jets. None of the Tribes games had down jetting, so you had to build up those speeds i.e. you had to use specific routes for capping and chasing. Legions was forgiving in that matter imo especially when you were chasing.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Legions went overboard when considering speed. Not the top speed you can achieve but acceleration how fast you can achieve those speeds. Mainly because of down jets. None of the Tribes games had down jetting, so you had to build up those speeds i.e. you had to use specific routes for capping and chasing. Legions was forgiving in that matter imo especially when you were chasing.

Downjet was not a particularly bad idea. In this case though, it only exacerbated the already broken scales & physics.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
We're bringing back downjet, overdrive AND the Grappling Hook! You heard it here first!

I am just kidding.

Lin

I mean I ultimately was asking for a relative estimate on when such would be available. Not to sound unappreciative of the deployable teasers cause honestly anything is an appetizer at this point. Just desperate to get a grip on the nature of the game.

I suppose I'll slip this to you all as well cause... Wth. But a source that I contacted that attended PAX did confirm that project z is indeed slower than legions in movement, not necessarily in combat.
Any word on the literal scale of the game? One of the most jarring things about T:A was how much closer all the distances were, and consequently how huge all the players looked. I'd be really excited to see that the new project maintains the legions distances, where you're aiming to hit just a few pixels on the screen.

Fixious

Test Lead
If there's one thing Legions desperately needed fixing, it was the scale. It was royalty messed up from the beginning. Considering Mabel was very aware of this, I doubt they'll make the same mistake.

Any word on the literal scale of the game? One of the most jarring things about T:A was how much closer all the distances were, and consequently how huge all the players looked. I'd be really excited to see that the new project maintains the legions distances, where you're aiming to hit just a few pixels on the screen.

Scale is going to be closer to T:A than Legions. This is a good thing because many people consider the scale in Legions to be one of the aspects that turned away new players.

I think the reason we haven't and won't see gameplay videos for a little while is because there is not enough artwork to show it off. First impressions are important and they want the game to look good when you see some gameplay for the first time. Grey basic player models on grey textureless grounds won't appease people as much as they would think. You can't really get a really good feeling on how the game will play from a video alone, either.

I definitely recommend people to get into Tribes 1 if they want to experience the extreme other end of the Tribes spectrum compared to Legions. Project Z will fall somewhere along that line, closer to Tribes. The jets specifically take a lot of getting used to. Here's a download. http://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/2px31v/starsiege_tribes_for_ascend_players/

Reactions: loc