New Game - MIDAIR

Maxter

I agree with you but that's what I feel is the problem, the volunteering. Every time someone replaces someone on the dev team, the game is slightly changed(in accordance to their view). Thankfully, all the changes made so far have been in response to community feedback. I may have a problem with a few things in the game right now, but the fact that they implement things and then either remove them or balance them depending on the feedback, remains. It's just that, I wanted to see someone do whatever they can with the game, zip it up into an unmodifiable installable version, and say "We're done, enjoy!". Instead, this game's bad luck seems to be that it's constantly rotating between people's hands and will never really be done.

Another problem is that there are no more eligible volunteers in this community. One guy wants to make it more like Tribes(more floaty), another wants a certain type of weapon/class/core to be more powerful than it should be. Expect the ones wearing the red tags, almost everyone else only cares about certain parts of the game, they whine and whine if something in particular has been changed and/or messed with. I'm just saying that the game shouldn't have people like this volunteering to develop it, just so they can get their hands on it. If that's the case, I'd rather just see a shutdown of development completely, whether the game is finished or not.

Anyway, I'd like to volunteer, but I don't know anything about coding. What I can do is test the game out, learn about the mechanics inside out, and see what fits. I'm always asking questions to know how things work in the game, and always there to give unbiased feedback. Even if there are things that I like in this game, I don't like to treat them as if they are my private toys which I don't want messed with. You can look up any thread I ever made and responded to, to see if I ever behaved in such a way.. Just the other day, I was talking to Belberith about adding a limit to the Regen core, which I've been playing with a lot these days, so that multiple players using it can't spam it on each other, and make the game unfair. I've been a long time fan of this game(I've been there ever since it got released in open beta, was a RokkitBall player before that), and I think I will be, for a lot longer. I may not be known or respected by a lot of others on this community, but I do genuinely care about this game, only thing that made me start posting on these forums to begin with.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
If you need some sort of extra funding, let me know. Other than that, I hope it turns out great. It was sort of sad to see the new port not happening but this is just as good.

moronval

Private Tester
does this mean bugspray has the power to end the L:O project if it can only continue with bugspray's involvement?

also, what does the new project plan to bring to the FPS+Z genre? While the genre has been around a long time, it's still in its growing pains right now, as not a whole lot has changed since tribes 1 came out.

Armageddon

Teapot
does this mean bugspray has the power to end the L:O project if it can only continue with bugspray's involvement?

I'd really hope it won't end like that, As it was "given" to the community before IA was shut down i'd hope that it was again passed down even more. I have no idea where IAC and the current development stand but why legions carried on was because it was passed on and i'd hope and like to think the same would be given to the remaining players/coders as a sort of honor/thanks.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
This is indeed the case but I have no desire to do so.

also, what does the new project plan to bring to the FPS+Z genre? While the genre has been around a long time, it's still in its growing pains right now, as not a whole lot has changed since tribes 1 came out.

This problem is what we're trying to address, although I can't release specifics.

Fixious

Test Lead
Who's all on the dev team? As far as I know:

Bugs - project lead/legal stuffs
Mabel - programming
koan - programming
Pop - modeling/animations
Fahren - concept art

I've seen Neolight in there recently a few times. Anyone else from this list?

Propkid

Llama studios...

Good luck, will follow and maybe even try to help at one point since I'm studying software eng.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Good luck. I do hope you actually utilize the potential of going away from Legions and actually create a core that can actually have some diverse gameplay in it.

HellzHere

Holy crap, I did not expect this at all. Moving on to create a new game and leaving L:O up to the community. WOW. Good luck with your new studio, seriously you guys deserve it. Thank you for continuing with this game and pulling it away from the cliff it once was so near to falling over. I completely understand what you are doing. I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for news on Project Z :)

I know this has been asked before, but is this game going to get on steam/greenlight in the future? How are we going to grow as a community to continuing developing this game then? We are tiny but close still, but need more numbers to help this game.

Fixious

Test Lead
Also, I assume steam is out of the question for legions overdrive?
Unfortunately, yes. We do not have widespread distribution rights under the current license and therefore cannot distribute the game on Steam. As mentioned in the original post, this is something that would have been fixed with the new agreement that we ultimately decided not to sign.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
As a community we can't commit anything more to the build now. Since the devs handle the SVN server and all of the builds, so only unless we distribute the game differently, we are sticking with the same build no matter what the community comes up with.

Fixious

Test Lead
The community will still be able to create content (namely maps) that can get added over-time, and possibly some community scripts. Pop, and perhaps more important St3lth are the ones in charge of updating the server. As long as they're around, the community will have a chance at adding some more stuff to the game. Really depends on how active we are and how long Pop and St3lth give a poop about L:O.

But without access to the engine our options are quite limited.