New Game - MIDAIR

BugsPray

Legions Developer
As mentioned in the blog post, several of us from the core dev team are moving on to start a new studio and create a new game. The game will be heavily influenced by the games in the FPS+Z genre, and we'll be looking to generally improve upon the genre. We're not announcing names for the studio or game because the ones we have are temporary. Fixious, on his blog, referenced the project as "Z." That sounds like a good name for now.

Feel free to discuss and ask questions but expect some expert stonewalling.

Fixious

Test Lead
It doesn't sound like you guys are working with IAC anymore, or are receiving any of their funding for the project. If true, where are you getting the money to develop Z? Is a Kickstarter or some other crowd-funded campaign to be expected?

BugsPray

Legions Developer
It doesn't sound like you guys are working with IAC anymore, or are receiving any of their funding for the project. If true, where are you getting the money to develop Z? Is a Kickstarter or some other crowd-funded campaign to be expected?

We are not working with IAC for the new game. We never received funding from IAC at any point, and they were not going to fund us for the new project. We did receive some initial starting capital for servers when we first launched L:O, but we burned through it in under a year. It wasn't all that much money and the intent when it was given to us was that they were going to take over development of the project after they got their financial feet under them. I can't divulge much information about funding and such, but we are looking at several funding options including publishers and crowd-funding.

I'm also inclined to personally mention that of the several volunteer game dev projects I've been involved with at various levels (GTW, Ascension, Legions) - this project by far has the best start and the most potential. It's safe to say that we have several things going for us at the moment.

Royalty

The Aussie
Glad an official start has been mentioned. Looking forward to it, and best of luck.

EDIT:
As Fixious has mentioned in his blog, I feel the same way concerning community awareness.
I believe it's vital to let this community know what happening - regardless of whether it's a tiny weekly or monthly sample of progress showcasing things e.g. new models or maps.

TaylorBalbi

Private Tester
Glad an official start has been mentioned. Looking forward to it, and best of luck.

EDIT:
As Fixious has mentioned in his blog, I feel the same way concerning community awareness.
I believe it's vital to let this community know what happening - regardless of whether it's a tiny weekly or monthly sample of progress showcasing things e.g. new models or maps.

Definitely key to keeping your community engaged while they wait.

Strife

I haven't seen Gheist or TB in ages, let alone in the same thread or irc channel :(. Good to see the stubbornness of our community channeled in a positive way, though.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I assume this game is what would be legions 2, but you realised the problem That it would be near impossible to make it feel like legions.
Will it be more along the feel of legions than tribes ascend, and thus a spiritual successor to the spiritual successor of tribes?

Also, I assume steam is out of the question for legions overdrive?

Application-1

test bester
inb4 THE INNER SANKTUM STUDIOS.

Good luck with the new plans, I will be looking forward to any piece of new information you can share.

Maxter

So, should we consider this your(including all core developers) official resignation from Legions: Overdrive development? Because as I see it, the game is still bug ridden(even the bugs from IA days) and has various glitches and balancing issues. Will you atleast be taking care of those, or are going to hand the work over to the next guy in line of development for that? Besides the ones already wearing the developer tag, I don't see any one else capable of continuing the development of the game in this community.

It's great to see you guys finally moving forward but atleast make Legions: Overdrive open source so we don't have to be at the mercy of some dudes who want to rape the game with no wish whatsoever to properly balance and fix things.

Regardless of what you choose to do with this game, good luck with your project Z. Only wish this one ended in a better way.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I feel like LO has been Hirezed, but i look forward to this fps-z game gl.

it's been in a state of hanging off the edge of a cliff for 3 or so years now. if anything, it's been the opposite of "hirez'd" because people have put money and effort into keeping it from falling off that cliff.

also, my way of thinking of this is that the "project Z" is still what would have been legions 2.0, but the team probably realised that getting the same feeling of legions is either very difficult or they can make a better feel of game.
that they just wouldn't feel right making a game called legions that would be only in name, whereas making a new i.p. will rid them of any legions related problems, and allow them for a greater range of ideas and concepts.

I'm expecting something considerably better than legions to come out, so expect me to be watching this, and if you guys need any testers... ;)

BugsPray

Legions Developer
So, should we consider this your(including all core developers) official resignation from Legions: Overdrive development? Because as I see it, the game is still bug ridden(even the bugs from IA days) and has various glitches and balancing issues. Will you atleast be taking care of those, or are going to hand the work over to the next guy in line of development for that? Besides the ones already wearing the developer tag, I don't see any one else capable of continuing the development of the game in this community.
This is not my resignation from L:O. I haven't personally contributed anything other than blog posts and behind-the-scenes administrative and legal functions to Legions for a long time. I must be associated with the project for legal reasons - it's written into the terms of the agreement. The team has undergone several transitions over the years and devs have come and gone. In fact, I think a lot of the best changes were implemented by community devs who aren't currently working on the new game. In the end, it's going to be up to each individual developer to decide what they want to do. L:O has and always will be driven by a volunteer community. And to reiterate, I'm still going to stick around to help with team transitions and making sure whoever wants to improve Legions has the ability to.

It's great to see you guys finally moving forward but atleast make Legions: Overdrive open source so we don't have to be at the mercy of some dudes who want to rape the game with no wish whatsoever to properly balance and fix things.
I can't force people to work on the game. I wish I could but I can't. If someone wants to volunteer to fix bugs that's up to them, and I'll support them the best I can.

Regardless of what you choose to do with this game, good luck with your project Z.
Thanks!

I feel like LO has been Hirezed, but i look forward to this fps-z game gl.

Not quite sure what you mean by that.

I assume this game is what would be legions 2, but you realised the problem That it would be near impossible to make it feel like legions.
This isn't exactly the problem. We could make it feel like Legions. We could make it exactly Legions. We didn't WANT to make it a clone of L:O and we were limited in design by what everyone has come to expect in feel and gameplay. With the things we want to do we decided it was best to create our own IP.

Will it be more along the feel of legions than tribes ascend, and thus a spiritual successor to the spiritual successor of tribes?
I can't comment on this.

Also, I assume steam is out of the question for legions overdrive?

Unfortunately, yes. We do not have widespread distribution rights under the current license and therefore cannot distribute the game on Steam. As mentioned in the original post, this is something that would have been fixed with the new agreement that we ultimately decided not to sign.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
This isn't exactly the problem. We could make it feel like Legions. We could make it exactly Legions. We didn't WANT to make it a clone of L:O and we were limited in design by what everyone has come to expect in feel and gameplay. With the things we want to do we decided it was best to create our own IP.

that's what i said in the sentence after the one you quoted ;)

i agree with your design decision, the main thing legions had was it's high learning curve, very fun movement, and while i'd like to see something very similar in your new game,
i think that while maybe making a few nods to legions (skins/easter eggs anyone?) there was just so little content in legions that could not be replaced with something so much better.
this is definitely the smart move, as you can be so much more creative with a clean slate than improving a design.
in all honesty, i'd wonder what it'd be like to do a planetside scale FPZ game, but then again.

i'm expecting something far away from a tribes clone, and something with a faster combat pace and movement like legions.