New Computer!

xlr8434

well thats what i got when i typed in dxdiag yup so any suggestions on a new motherboard and cpu would be great thank you!!2012-08-19_1414.png

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
well thats what i got when i typed in dxdiag yup so any suggestions on a new motherboard and cpu would be great thank you!!View attachment 2516
ah.

my suggestion is to just completely rebuild.
open up your pc and see if that 3GB of RAM is two 2GB sticks (it probably is), if so you can reuse them IF they are DDR3.

my suggestion is that you also check to see the wattage of your computer's power supply, if it's anything under 500w i highly doubt it'll work with your new graphics card, although it really should be 600w.

another thing you'll need to do to see if you can salvage your hard drive is check to see if it is an IDE drive or SATA. My old pentium 4 machine was an IDE, so you'll have to check that otherwise you'll need to buy a new hard drive or IDE to SATA converter (if you are getting a new motherboard).
as newer motherboards are SATA.

another suggestion would be to get a 64bit OS (preferably windows 7 if you can) as the 1GB graphics card will lower the amount of RAM your pc will see (by ~500MB if you already have a 512MB GPU)

you can probably reuse your case.

an i5 2500k/3570k and a 1155 (preferably z77) motherboard will be good for games.

you might want to save up :\

xlr8434

Okay mind putting some links on there? I have 2gb ram sticks if I need more then I'll get more the hard drive is an IDE drive and I think I have another power supply that's 600w. All I need now is a mobo and CPU Under 150

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Okay mind putting some links on there? I have 2gb ram sticks if I need more then I'll get more the hard drive is an IDE drive and I think I have another power supply that's 600w. All I need now is a mobo and CPU Under 150

if it's an IDE drive you need to seriously consider getting a new hard drive.

is it a combination of motherboard and CPU under £150? because that could be difficult.

EDIT: you aren't going to get a CPU and motherboard combo for less than £150 that makes it worth the money. add another £100 (£250) or so and you might get something good, add another £50 to that (£300) and you'll get some pretty decent stuff that'll last you a good part of 5 years.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

xlr im abit skeptical about your RAM are you sure you have ddr 2 or ddr on a pentium 4 motherboard? and does you power supply have sata power cables if you upgrade HDD cos you may need to buy molex to sata which would add to your budget again ...

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
xlr im abit skeptical about your RAM are you sure you have ddr 2 or ddr on a pentium 4 motherboard? and does you power supply have sata power cables if you upgrade HDD cos you may need to buy molex to sata which would add to your budget again ...

good point, my pentium 4 pc definitely did not use DDR3.
:|

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Might be a good idea to figure out exactly what you have for a motherboard then. Look at the motherboard itself for a model number or some sort of indicator.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

http://www.piriform.com/speccy (fissurez' link) this click motherboard tab and it will say its name or coding of the motherboard and it would not, not be a pentium 4 if it has a P4 chip in it ....
failing that if you open case up (while its off!!) and normally under the CPU in big letters theres either a name or code like G595GLC or Evo-T4v8 ect

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
It's XP, it's going to be DDR2.
Dude you aren't going to save much money using this old pc for anything. Scrap it and build a new.

xlr8434

http://www.piriform.com/speccy (fissurez' link) this click motherboard tab and it will say its name or coding of the motherboard and it would not, not be a pentium 4 if it has a P4 chip in it ....
failing that if you open case up (while its off!!) and normally under the CPU in big letters theres either a name or code like G595GLC or Evo-T4v8 ect
ill try it tomorrow! i have to help my friend move. ill get back to you on that
Dude you aren't going to save much money using this old pc for anything. Scrap it and build a new.
well *chocolate cookies* if it has to come to that well *dance* it! new pc mofo!

the *dance* IS this thing censoring me

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster

not necessarily
you may be able to argue that since DDR3 came out in 2007 (same year as vista), it's most likely to be DDR2. but bare in mind that some people still used XP when building custom machines (as it appeared to be so), likewise how i'd be more inclined to use windows 7 than 8 at this point in time.

it is likely that it's DDR2, but not definite.

xlr8434

not necessarily
you may be able to argue that since DDR3 came out in 2007 (same year as vista), it's most likely to be DDR2. but bare in mind that some people still used XP when building custom machines (as it appeared to be so), likewise how i'd be more inclined to use windows 7 than 8 at this point in time.

it is likely that it's DDR2, but not definite.
if in that case my friend tony has DDR3 ram

D

Doom Of Neroflame

so ye ddr....... ye new mother board and RAM im afraid xD it was kinda rare for pentium 4's to have ddr2
uh id keep the case and optical drive xD if your power supply has sata points and over 400w then keep that to everything else just would not really be compatible ...hard drive is Hitachi i dont particularly think there that great but i have always had seagate and maxter

xlr8434

so ye ddr....... ye new mother board and RAM im afraid xD it was kinda rare for pentium 4's to have ddr2
uh id keep the case and optical drive xD if your power supply has sata points and over 400w then keep that to everything else just would not really be compatible ...hard drive is Hitachi i dont particularly think there that great but i have always had seagate and maxter
XDD help me neroflame i wanna be as good as you!!! my friend has ddr3 ram! i just need a mobo and cpu!!!under 150$ PLEASE HELP ME ILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS YOU!!!