Natural Selection 2

Here's the offical overview http://www.naturalselection2.com/

My overview:
  • RTS-FPS hyrbrid that really works.
  • Based on very popular Half-Life mod that came out in 2002. Pretty true to its original (a lot of vets even say its superior).
  • Requires some SERIOUS aim.
  • Pretty *dancing* hardcore with a hardcore crowd of above average gamers.
  • Aliens vs. Marines: Fast paced melee-ranged vs. Slow(er), more tactical mid to close-range based.
  • Fairly well balanced. You don't always get good games, of course, but they are usually better than something like League of Legends or *Tribes: Ass-End*.
  • One commander per team. Commander is RTS style. I've played 30 for hours so far and never had to do this. They are mostly in charge of building things and allowing you to get upgrades. They can be ejected but I haven't seen this yet and they are usually okay.
  • Non-commanding plays a lot more like an FPS, though has a RTS touch to it that adds to the experience rather than takes away from it.
  • Player-dedicated servers determine team sizes, but you see everything from like... 5v5 to 12v12.
  • (Seemingly) Good lag compensation (your ping doesn't matter)!
  • My biggest complaint is that some of the servers have stutter and performance issues, but they are the minority.
  • RTS-like upgrades based on resources you get from planting and holding resource nodes at certain map points... and from just plain-old killing things.
  • Marine upgrades include five types of ammo-based weapons (well designed and purposed), jetpacks, mech suits and more. http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Frontiersmen#Weapons
  • Alien upgrades are mostly based around five different species that play differently. Most are SUPER fast paced. http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Kharaa
  • Pub play requires a lot of coordination. There's a lot of mic talk (in game VOIP), more than any other game I've ever played.
  • Competitive side. Seems like it'd take a lot of work to get into, though. Pubs competitive enough though, imo.
  • I recommend having/using a mic, though you don't need to (there's some basic sort of [VGS] system I haven't figured out yet).
  • Average games between 15-30 minutes. Longest I've played was 80mins (GREAT game, though!)
  • Modding.
  • Map making (seems very hard, though).
  • Buy it now for $25 on steam. 4 pack for less.
  • You should have a good processor to play it since it's very CPU extensive. Mid-tier graphics card more than enough.
  • No free-to-play bullshit. No grinding bullshit. No out-of-game advancement bullshit.
  • Crazy fun and totally worth the cash.

Application-1

test bester
Dont believe the number #9, believe what #3 says and play this:

All jokes aside, looks fun but I wonder how the control over the alien/insects thingies are.

Needs more dodge.

There's tons of dodge potential for aliens! Not double tap, but wall-jumping, mouse-weaving craziness. And they are still working on the basic alien movement system (for Skulks, the main species), wanting it to have some coherent higher level form like you see with dodge/strafe jump/bunny hop. It's going to involve something to do with the wall jumping it seems, giving you the ability to increase your speed around the map once you're mastered the movement system. Every patch they're changing it up to see what fits.

I do think you'd enjoy it if you gave it a try. It's very twitchy. The marine movement system is pretty basic until you get jetpacks, though. I believe NS1 had bunny hopping they opted to take out (I'm not a huge fan of that anyway).

OmniNept

Actionaut
There's tons of dodge potential for aliens! Not double tap, but wall-jumping mouse-weaving craziness. I do think you'd enjoy it if you gave it a try.
I'm just being facetious. Unfortunately, I've not the time to play much of anything these days (tried to power through borderlands 2 in a day, but that was a fail); basically limiting myself to Hawken and Planetside 2.

I'm just being facetious. Unfortunately, I've not the time to play much of anything these days (tried to power through borderlands 2 in a day, but that was a fail); basically limiting myself to Hawken and Planetside 2.

I've been enjoying PS2 a lot, though I'm not sure which direction it'll take when they start releasing more weapons. Also looking out for my Hawken key, nothing yet.:(

And just as I was hoping they'd release a new video, they give me one! Music is questionable and I don't think it's the best video for the game, but it's not outdated like the other.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Not, even, close.
We're talking about the same game here, right?

Maybe it was a different one, but I definitely remember setting up bases as Alien or Human and then upgrading your resources/defences and *chocolate cookies*.